• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamecube Adapter uncertainty

Davve_DP

Smash Rookie
Hi guys!

So I'm new to smashboards btw, hope I'm posting this in the right place...

Anyway, I decided to finally start playing melee on my PC. I do own a few Wiis and a PAL-GC, but it would be nice to play it on my desktop setup. I also own a GC-adapter because I also play ultimate. My only concern is: If I install a different driver using Zadig, will I still be able to use the adapter for ultimate on my switch? The adapter does have a PC-Switch dial, but I've been told to leave it in Switch-mode.

My simple question is: Is it safe to install the drivers and will I still be able to use the adapter for my Switch?

Sry if this is a noob-question, yet again I'm new here.

Thanks in advance!

cdMyth

Controller Doctor
Writing Team
Yes, Zadig is safe to use for connecting adapters to PC.

Most Melee players have the Mayflash with the PC / Wii U split, yours might be a newer version released after the Switch came out.

As long as you are using a Mayflash adapter (the only acceptable non-Nintendo adapter), you will be just fine after you download Zadig.

Davve_DP

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the reply. I'll probably go ahaid and buy a mayflash one just to be on the safe side

kraw23

Smash Apprentice
Follow up question - I have a Mayflash adapter and Dolphin picks it up OK. However it doesn't work as well as just having a controller plugged into a gamecube or Wii. I've messed with the radius and deadzone settings and have got it somewhat improved but its still not the same - any idea how to fix it?

Davve_DP

Smash Rookie
You have to install the latest firmware on the adapter and also update the driver using a program called Zadig. Just Google something like: Mayflash adapter dolphin guide. If you successfully do this you won't have to configure the controller at all because it will function just as it would if it were plugged into a Wii or GameCube. It really feels exactly the same. But make sure you check everything carefully before updating the firmware to make sure you have the right version. I used this video: https://youtu.be/AXRAbJlgy90
I'm using dolphin 5.0 and it works for me.
Good luck

kraw23

Smash Apprentice
You have to install the latest firmware on the adapter and also update the driver using a program called Zadig. Just Google something like: Mayflash adapter dolphin guide. If you successfully do this you won't have to configure the controller at all because it will function just as it would if it were plugged into a Wii or GameCube. It really feels exactly the same. But make sure you check everything carefully before updating the firmware to make sure you have the right version. I used this video: https://youtu.be/AXRAbJlgy90
I'm using dolphin 5.0 and it works for me.
Good luck
Appreciate that mate, all sorted :)

Finger

Smash Rookie
I bought a third party GCN Adapter for my friend and I can't get it to work. I have a Nintendo Adapter and that works fine. Here's a link to one similar to what I bought

https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded】-Ga...063&s=gateway&sprefix=gcn+adapter+nin,aps,216

It has a Wii U/PC switch on the back with a turbo button. When I installed Zadig it listed it as GameCube Controller Adapter instead of WUP-028. It doesn't show up in Wii U USB GCN Adapter. In properties it shows it as manufactured by DragonRise Inc from China. Not sure what to do or if I bought a piece of trash. Any help appreciated. Also sorry wasn't sure where to post this.

Davve_DP

Smash Rookie
When using Zadig you should always have it in Wii U or switch mode. Otherwise it lists it as: "GameCube Controller Adapter". If it then shows up as WUP-028 you should be able to install the correct drivers and it will show up as "Wii U Controller Adapter" or something of the sort.

What also could be a problem is the firmware of the adapter. If you did buy something less official and you can't find a website for the produkt where there might be drivers, chances are that you might be in trouble. But try doing what I said above: Put it switch mode while using Zadig and see what happens.

If all fails you're probably right in thinking you bought a piece of trash. Hope this helps!

Top Bottom