• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamecube adapter is nearly water-proof

Valacar

Smash Cadet
So several weeks ago (actually on Christmas eve... sadly) our washer over-flowed and flooded our basement, which is where my room happens to be (Don't worry, nothing important got ruined!)

At the time, My gamecube adapter was on the floor, and completely submerged in water for awhile (I worked to get other, more important things off the floor, like my PC).

After removing it from the water and shaking it gently, as dry as I could, I let it sit for several days (I didn't even put it in rice)
and guess what? It still works! Perfectly!

I've been playing using it all day, works like a charm! No delays from it, no random spasms, disconnects, nothing. This thing is indestructable!

Just wanted to share a cool little piece of info :)'

As for an actual discussion, how many of you use the gamecube controller in SSB4? What do you think is the best controller? I've heard that the Hori Battle-pad is tops, but what do you all use?

Edit: DO NOT TEST IT. I just want to be perfectly clear here; I am NOT saying go put your adapter in water and test it out. I would really, REALLY not recommend you do that at all.

Last edited:

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
Wow how lucky of you. That wouldvve been awful to lose that. Since they go for like more than a hundred now. >.<

But yeah The hori fighter pad is easily the best of the bunch, but the fact that it has a turbo button, probs mean i wont be allowed to use it at tournaments :( But its great, the shoulder buttons imo are vastly improved and less noisy XD Only thing wrong with em is that it has no rumble feature...

Last edited:

Valacar

Smash Cadet
I personally don't like rumble because it distracts me from what i'm doing. It's also bad for the health of your hands.
Suprisingly, prices for the adapters are going down a bit. I see them for around 50-60 on eBay, which is nice; more people can get their hands on an adapter now. I think people finally realized over-charging for these like crazy IS crazy. Ha

Last edited:

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
I personally don't like rumble because it distracts me from what i'm doing. It's also bad for the health of your hands.
Suprisingly, prices for the adapters are going down a bit. I see them for around 50-60 on eBay, which is nice; more people can get their hands on an adapter now. I think people finally realized over-charging for these like crazy IS crazy. Ha
I get what cha mean. Very loud when i wann sneak in some matches before i go in the morning.

Rumble Unhealthy? How?! Ive never heard that. lol

Oh have they! Thats good to hear, I havent checked in on those adapters in awhile.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'm willing to bet that a few people will be crazy enough to try it out now. :p

Anyway, glad that your adapter is fine.

Valacar

Smash Cadet
I get what cha mean. Very loud when i wann sneak in some matches before i go in the morning.

Rumble Unhealthy? How?! Ive never heard that. lol

Oh have they! Thats good to hear, I havent checked in on those adapters in awhile.
In the same way that vibrating tools like drills can cause Hand-Arm Vibration Syndrome. Although increadly unlikely- can eventually deterioate the health of your hands over very long periods of time.

and yeah I did some searching on adapters for obvious reasons... (thought mine was definately broken...) and they have gone down quite a bit- especially if you're good at bidding, you can scoop them up for as low as $40 if you try hard enough!

I'm willing to bet that a few people will be crazy enough to try it out now. :p

Anyway, glad that your adapter is fine.
Yeah, I really hope not. I don't want a bunch of angry emails saying "Hey you said it was waterproof so I played smash in the bathtub and now its broken!" (YesOfCourseThatsSillyImBeingFunnyAboutIt>->)

Last edited by a moderator:

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
In the same way that vibrating tools like drills can cause Hand-Arm Vibration Syndrome. Although increadly unlikely- can eventually deterioate the health of your hands over very long periods of time.

and yeah I did some searching on adapters for obvious reasons... (thought mine was definately broken...) and they have gone down quite a bit- especially if you're good at bidding, you can scoop them up for as low as $40 if you try hard enough!

Yeah, I really hope not. I don't want a bunch of angry emails saying "Hey you said it was waterproof so I played smash in the bathtub and now its broken!" (YesOfCourseThatsSillyImBeingFunnyAboutIt>->)
Wow didnt know that. o.o haha

Cool maybe my friends will buy on now. lol

Raijinken

Smash Master
I miss the good ol' days when Nintendo's products were made of Nintendium and were indestructible and un-scratchable. Though I imagine the 80s-90s grey plastic look wouldn't be very hip these days.

Anyways, I use the Gamecube controller the majority of the time, but since I only have one adapter, I'm also willing to use my 3DS when I've got enough friends over to dip into 8-player smash. The Pro Controller's asymmetry between the joystick and buttons bothers me, the gamepad has the same issue, and I see no reason to invest in other controllers when I already have a familiar option.

Kaluro

Smash Rookie
The problem with water damaged hardware is that, the main board's connector lines are going to rust and wear out at an extremely increased pace.
Where regular hardware might normally last 10 years and up, therés a good chance that within 6 to 12 months, you're going to encounter problems with your adapter, as the water damage becomes apparent.
It almost never happens that hardware fails straight away, after suffering water damage.

3870x2

Smash Rookie
NNID
3870x2
3DS FC
2852-8211-0162
To be honest, you could take a bath with that thing every night, and so long as the soap you use is non corrosive, it will never fail. The most damaging part of water to electronics is electricity. This might be a good time to tell you that if something of yours becomes inadvertently waterlogged, remove the source of power immediately. If you can, shake the water out of the device as best you can, and use an absorbent material like rice (the dustier the better) in a sealed space to extract the water through diffusion (as the material dehumidifies the air around it, water molecules will move to the less concentrated areas to even out).

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Of course it's fine. Nintendo uses a secret alien mineral while constructing most of their hardware to allow for maximum potential life.

Top Bottom