• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Game mode ideas for next Smash

Placebo Effect

Smash Apprentice
Since every company lately has been running out of ideas and using others in their own games, I think that at the very least this one should be used in the next Smash. Actually I thought it should have been implemented a bit after I got into competing in Brawl.

Anyways what my (Sammy/Aksys', I dunno) idea was was to have some sort of 3v3 mode like in Guilty Gear Advance. Where each player gets to pick 3 characters, 1 per stock, and they can't pick the same one twice, and fight with them.
It could work the same with Pokemon Trainer, of course he would probably need a faster switch time, and maybe characters like him could be picked more than once.

And my other idea, which I got before I quit Brawl for Quake awhile back, was somewhat of a competitive view on items without being the Item Standard Ruleset or whatever that nobody uses.
For any of you who haven't seen a Quake match of 1-4 or Live, just not Enemy Territory because we don't talk about that game
(duel is the most popular game type among competitive types)
, or anything like it
(eg: Painkiller, Serious Sam, Doom, Duke Nukem, Warsow, etc.)
, it's a First Person Shooter with an emphasis on item control and movement, since they spawn on certain timers and give a boost, usually armor or health or even Quad Damage
(maybe a Final Smash instead if it doesn't use a Hyper/Super/Tension system?)
, Battlesuits, or Invisibility in games with more than 2 people.
Also the Quad now triples damage output in Quake Live instead of quadrupling it, lol.

Match starts at 3:55, but it has been slowed down at certain points to explain what's going on. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdkDjsBiO58
Here's one that hasn't been. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRpRvK25Eqw

Except Mega Health (+100 HP, would be -) and Small Health (+5 HP) would take you to -% when low enough and armors would probably have to block 1/2 of damage instead of 2/3ds, etc. Also no/minimal weapons, you get the idea.

Now because Smash is so much more focused on map control than most other fighters, I thought that maybe, just maybe combining these things could add another, more tactical element to the game.
Of course it's a fighting game and I understand that, I've been in the community for several years now, but that is not my point.

I just think it could be good as a side mode, for those who prefer that style of play. Spawns could be placed in areas that are hard to camp out, timers could be long enough so that they aren't always interrupting fights, and the game could, hopefully, be less campy to begin with for this to work in a game like Smash.

A mode like this would have to have different rules though, either being a higher stock counter or time only (ok maybe not) because in Quake and in a mode like this, it's all about control and stat exchanges (of course skill is also a factor) and not only can power switch in a single grab of an important item, but frag counts can be very high.

But what I don't want to see is too many game modes, they have the power to separate the community too much just like mods did with Quake 3 and what it near felt like they were doing with Brawl back in the Brawl+, -, =, ×, ÷, π, ☺, whatever days, as much as I like Brawl-.

Anyways I'm done for now, it's late, there's so much more they could do to make Smash in general better I know, and I do want to compete in it again, but I guess we'll have to wait and see until the next one comes out.

Placebo Effect

Smash Apprentice
I guess a Mario/Pacman Party/Sonic Shuffl kinda thing could work. They'd have to put Sakurai in charge of it again though. :p

But really that's one of my least favorite kinds of games (not a fan of the random occurences) and I'd rather not think about the idea. x.x

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Countdown match: In this match one of the players, initially by random, has a countdown over his/her head. Hitting another player will pass the countdown to him/her, while being hitten will accelerate the countdown. Once the countdown reaches zero the characters will blast off and the countdown will start again from the last opponent hitting him/her. Same thing in case of suicide. Last player standing will win.

Placebo Effect

Smash Apprentice
I like it. :D
Guess the randomness kind of has to be there for that one, but I still like it in that case, as competitive as I am.

Kind of reminds me of a game mode in Serious Sam called "My Burden", where a player has to live the longest while holding the "Burden item", defending himself from all the other players trying to kill him and whichever player scores the kill gets the Burden.
If I remember correctly the item was placed mid-map, could work for Smash too.

KingDT

Smash Rookie
In order to introduce my New Super Smash Brothers 4 Game Mode idea, I will ask a series of question. Have you ever wanted to face yourself or test your own skill level? Are you proficient with multiple characters and would like to see which one you are best with? For example, my top three characters are Meta Knight, Falco and Toon Link. It’s evident I have the most success with Meta Knight but it seems I have equal success between Falco and Toon Link. I was always curious to know if I could battle my self with those characters, which character would have more success.

For those of you who’ve played or remembered Virtua Fighter 4 (rated a 9.3 on IGN. Not to be confused with Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution) this game had an amazing mode that I truly enjoyed, the AI Training Mode. In this mode you had the ability to select whatever character you’d like and train it to fight like YOU. You’d do a series of moves and advise the AI to remember them or forget them. The AI learns from your combos, defense and Offense and displays a play style just like yours. Of course it was not a perfect system and it took time to have an AI character fight virtually the same as you do. But to many peoples surprise, there were success for those that invested enough time training their character, often having issues defeating their own AI they’ve created.

This game came out on PS2 on March 19, 2002 in the US. It’s almost 13 years later, I’m certain we have the technology to implement a similar and yet more improved game mode in the New Super Smash Brothers. Being a Super Smash Brothers fanatic I understand that the fighting system is totally different in Smash Brothers then there is in Virtua Fighter but the concept is the same, Combos (all though not as many “true” combos were in Brawl), Offense and Defense. I’m no video game developer, but I know they use real people’s skill as well as an adaptive AI in order to make Computer opponents in the game. Why couldn’t they develop a game mode that has an AI continue to learn from your moves and implement that in their play style? Imagine being able to train your own character (Meta night, Marth, Peach etc) that you could fight against or pit it against others to battle? I can see my self saying “…your not even good enough to beat my AI”. They should have you save the AI’s data and be able to load it on other peoples Wii U’s so they can see if they can best it. Or perhaps pit your AI character vs theirs to see who the better “coach” is. They could even have you upload your AI to your 3DS so you can train it on the go or battle others or your AI self on a hand held device. This game mode would add so much more playability to the new Smash Brothers, with some good development this could be a very successful game mode. Let me know what you guys think.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Both Virtua Fighter and Skullgirls have set the standard for Training Mode. I still love how Virtua Fighter 5 FS had provided frame data for you on the screen. This was perfect for devising combos. Likewise, Skullgirls has landing sparks when you knockdown someone to tell you if it's techable or not, and let's not forget the bedazzling hitstun bar to tell you how much room you have.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Hitstun bar is a core mechanic in Eternal Fighter Zero and in Immaterial and Missing Power. :p

The only thing I can think of off-hand unique to Skullgirls is the tech indicator and possibly custom assists? All of its other stuff is like a hodgepodge of random things from various other fighters. Which is probably the point- I suppose Mike-Z figured, "Why experiment with something new when we haven't even tried to use all of what already exists all together?" I'm not a fan of the game myself, but I can see the mentality behind its design.

Same applies to Smash I guess. Before we start looking at new stuff, it's important to take proven things and experiences into account.

Long story short I'm basically saying we should have combination Coin and Stamina mode.

Rood

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Rood2790
I hope the big story/campaign mode in ssb4 has online so I can play it with my friend.

wiztick

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xhudayoloswagx
This idea was not origanlly mine and i found it in one of these forums. A tag in/tag out mode should be established. say lets start with 4 characters. a team with fox and olimar vs a team with rob and bowser. fox vs rob starts out. fox loses a stock AND OLIMAR SWITCHES IN. a format like that could work fine. Also, we can have speacial tag in grabs that switch between charaters via throw. so maybe if olimar grabs rob and presses up speacial. an animation can be show with fox and olimar throwing rob up. it can also be down speacial and foward speacial etc. and maybe even throw in a tag speacial smash in. If you have watched pro wresling you know what i mean.

Yitsul

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yitsul
3DS FC
2105-8677-5210
Switch FC
5599 8083 2114
I'd love Classic Adventure, and Story

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
What about a VS multiman?
Basically, rather than beating each other the objective is to sweep out as many drones as possible.

Time mode: Sweep out more drones than your opponents in a certain amount of time.
Point Mode: Be the first to sweep out a certain amount of drones.

Being sweeped out: -10 points

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
I don't want to go too in depth simply because I'm very occupied atm. However, I've always thought that capture the flag would fit perfectly in the Super Smash Bros universe. A large group of Nintendo characters working together towards accomplishing one goal is a logical extension of the established game play. The key components of the mode would go as follows:
-Matches range from 1v1 upwards to 4v4.
-Two flag poles are placed on either side of the map (think Super Mario Bros.)
-Maps are large and specific to the game mode; they have multiple pathways.
-At any given point, the player can see the whole map. In local games, the map is always zoomed out to its maximum frame size. In online games (the intended crux of this mode), players can toggle between incremental zoom distances.
-The way damage is dealt deviates from typical Smash. Upon dealing a certain amount of damage in an allotted period of time (let's say 7% in half of a second), subsequent hits deal exponentially more damage. Under this system, KOs are more quickly and easily managed across the mode's larger stages. Other mechanic alterations will have to accompany this mode, like un-techable surfaces and so on.

I have some more thoughts. I'll probably get to posting them after doing some HW. In the mean time, please add on to my ideas.

Wobbly Headed Bob

Smash Journeyman
I don't want to go too in depth simply because I'm very occupied atm. However, I've always thought that capture the flag would fit perfectly in the Super Smash Bros universe. A large group of Nintendo characters working together towards accomplishing one goal is a logical extension of the established game play. The key components of the mode would go as follows:
-Matches range from 1v1 upwards to 4v4.
-Two flag poles are placed on either side of the map (think Super Mario Bros.)
-Maps are large and specific to the game mode; they have multiple pathways.
-At any given point, the player can see the whole map. In local games, the map is always zoomed out to its maximum frame size. In online games (the intended crux of this mode), players can toggle between incremental zoom distances.
-The way damage is dealt deviates from typical Smash. Upon dealing a certain amount of damage in an allotted period of time (let's say 7% in half of a second), subsequent hits deal exponentially more damage. Under this system, KOs are more quickly and easily managed across the mode's larger stages. Other mechanic alterations will have to accompany this mode, like un-techable surfaces and so on.

I have some more thoughts. I'll probably get to posting them after doing some HW. In the mean time, please add on to my ideas.

I like this idea and you could even see a metagame developing from it where you have goalie characters, trappers, runners, etc. I think it should never be played 1v1 though. lol

Also bring back BONUS mode.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Race mode:
All players run following the track in a endless loop. The camera is focused on the head player. When the tail player runs out of the screen s/he's eliminated. and reappear on the closest checkpoint.
Time mode: The one being eliminated the fewest times wins the match.
Stock mode: Last one surviving wins the match.
Coin mode: The one collecting the biggest amount of coins on the path wins the match.

Top Bottom