• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Game Mentality

Gugeno

Smash Rookie
A bit of an awkward question.

Hi, I'm Gugeno. I've been around for a while but I jump back and forth from lurking the heck out of this site, to forgetting about it entirely. It kind of intimidates me in a way to think of how serious people take it. But it got me to thinking. In just a normal 1 v 1, I'm very calm and jovial with my friends. I try not to take the game too seriously, but I'm finding out I need to take it MORE seriously to win. Online, it's worse. Theres no face, so I kind of get disconnected and play a bit more "mercilessly" as i'll call it.

However. In a tournament like setting with 20 people all pacing around me, the commentary booming and subtle voices; the accusing eyes beating down on me.. I break. My knee bounces and hand cramps up, and its like I can't play at all.

But uh, I was wondering two things. What are your mindsets while playing, and how should I improve mine without being too overly-analytical or cocky?

linkmaster71

Smash Rookie
I try not to think about the end of the match. If I think too much about it, I can easily mess up. If I think that I can easily get the win, I tend to go too easy on accident and mess up. Once I question my ability to win, I start to lose.

I try and take it one life, even one move, at a time. I ignore everyone and everything around me and hyper-focus on the game. Once I lose focus on the game, I can easily mess up and miss moves.

I suggest that you try and focus on the game, not the crowd. Try not to get distracted, and you'll do fine. Keep your mind on the game.

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
Forget about winning.

For now, play to learn. Go into tournament matches with the intent of learning something new about your character, a match-up, a stage, whatever.

You'll be so focused on absorbing knowledge, you won't even notice the people around you. And even if you lose, you still win.

Best of all worlds.

Corigames

Smash Hero
My knee bounces and hand cramps up, and its like I can't play at all.
It's called adrenaline. I find that shaky leg, tense muscle, eye straining to be helpful. However, you do need to be in control. No seizing, because that would probably get you DQ'ed

What are your mindsets while playing,
I'm going to win.
how should I improve mine without being too overly-analytical or cocky?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9khDedACgY
Gimpy = da man

animeblitzballa33

Smash Ace
I had the same problem that u did at my first tourny and it was disasterous. I played completely different than i normally do and more or less didnt realize i was playing and before i knew it i was out.

What helps me to prevent this is i listen to a certain song on my ipod, it for whatever reason helps me to concentrate and play like i normally do with my friends. Just find some quark that helps you concentrate and focus on what you need to do.

BTW the song is the opening theme for Air Gear for those that know what im talking about.

Titanium Dragon

Smash Journeyman
Really, learning by doing, though some people inherently just don't know to be nervous, so they don't. Its really a trained behavior, so you have to unteach yourself, really. Or use it to focus yourself (I love giddiness sometimes, but I'm weird).

Its fun, so enjoy it. Trying to not feel nervous or excited is futile; experience the emotion, become one with it, and use it, don't let it use you.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
First off, every person can relate to you in some way. The first tourneys are the hardest, play as if you are going to win, nothing else. But not only the mindset to win, but to learn, have fun don't take it to serious or you get caught up in only your mistakes, and you will never improve.

Sky has a great video of the mentality you should have when you participate in a tourney.
Here is is ----> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ArHas4eozE

Aiko

Smash Champion
You need to have fun! Go play with others, make some friends, get involved as much as you can. If you know everyone there, you won't feel nearly as much pressure. I know everyone in my community, and the pressure is only there in matches which are close. Anything else is ****** or learning.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
You shouldn't bump dead threads! :O

If you really need help with game mentality, you might could wear headphones and listen to your favorite music.

ChuteTheMessenger

Village's Strongest Hitman
When I get worked up, I just force myself to calm down. I find that when I get angry or charged, I rush in recklessly and get punished.

Top Bottom