• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Game Designing for noobs

TheWounded

Smash Cadet
I am making a game called EX Element. I have 10 people working on this project and im looking for more. All we really have done right now is the BETA room which has mario tiles (grass, sky etc.) we will have our own by this weekend. (continuing) You will have to choose an element which will bind to your weapons and make your weapon kick a$$! (by the way the sword in the pics is the smallest sword in the game, the biggest is 3x bigger than that!)

ps. I am willing to teach those of game designing.

As you can see this game is based on slaying beast's 20x Bigger than you. If thats not enough -its going to be online, you can go into a group of 7 and slay these B@st3rds.-

-Blocking right now is also wall climbing-

:project Workers:
Me: Lead designer and progrommer
Programmers: 1
Sword & Monster artist's: 4
Level and world artist's: 4

We use Gamemaker 7.0 (click here to get it)

PM if you are interested

--More random pics--

Stabbing (only one frame)

--Full boss size(sorry its so big just want you all to see)--

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
I am really digging this. I've wanting to get my foot in the door for game design for a long time. This game looks very interesting. I'd love to join this effort but I don't think that I could. I would like to see its progress though.

TheWounded

Smash Cadet
lol, dude if you want to learn, then your going to. But to start off lets look at some code so you can see how complicated that is. But if you start to look at it over time it actually is very easy.

if you need anything just ask.

Code
----------------------------
switch sprite_index{
case Over_power_left: sprite_index=Character_stand_left; break;
case Over_power_right: sprite_index=Character_stand_right; break;
image_speed=0
}
----------------------------
there is just switching a sprite moving. BUT THERE IS AN EASIER WAY! The porgram GamerMaker there are actually drag and drop written code already. Ready to go code just so you can keep moving forward!

As you can see the little red-pac man...Well did you know that the code above is in that already. All you have to do is drag it in (this is not a little kids thing, my brother who is a game designer for Nintendo, makes proto-types with the pogram). And you can make anytype of game, RPG, Zelda, 3d you name it.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
You know, most game companies won't look at stuff made with an editor.

It's a way to get ideas down, but don't expect much from it. They want people who can actually, program. Game designers themselves are people who have been in the industry for a long time, programming and all the other stuff.

It's not a simple path as make a game using an editor.

TheWounded

Smash Cadet
Ummm this isn't an editor as i have said. lol editor that was funny. I am using mario sprites FOR NOW! i have programmed all this ON MY OWN

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
So you made Gamemaker 7.0? Most indie designers don't go on a video game message board to recruit people. They post on indie gaming sites.

TheWounded

Smash Cadet
....im 14.... i love some of the artist's on this forums. Im trying to get some of them as spriters or lvl designer.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Oh! In that case, don't even bother. I've been there. I wasted way too much time learning C, C++, only to have C# undercut everything I did and make it alot easier. On top of that, anything you learn now will be moot.

Check out sites like www.gamedev.net or .com, I forget. That site will get you started into properly educating yourself. After reading the articles and realizing the painstaking work people go through for little to no acclaim, you'll become to loath "Game Makers" because they trivialize the work and make it seem like anyone can do it. After that check out the indie scene at www.madmonkey.net. There are tons of games out and in development. As you find games that interest you, contact the development team, support them, and see how they did things. How they made up ideas and such.

Like I said, I was once 12 when RPG Maker was getting popular and thought my "games" were great even when I made my own sprites and levels and had good scripts. I used to pass my games around anonymously at school in 7th and 8th grade to much acclaim, but it was never truly game design. It's a field that requires you to pay your dues.

TheWounded

Smash Cadet
....ummm i have coded an xbox to have a browser, Modded halo 2 with 3D models, and Designed 8 games.... thanks for the info (no seriously) but lol i dont need help. Thanks though

Top Bottom