• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Game design at it's finest.

Kaliam

Smash Rookie
Do you know what would make smash Wii U, and the characters within the game much more fun to play? If they were designed in such a way so that if you manage to land a hit on the opponent, it would put you at an advantage. This is really bad with certain characters more than others, and it happens way too often. It's extremely annoying and very frustrating when you hit someone with a move and the other player be able to hit you back before you can even defend yourself. This is what makes me hate this game so much, and is one of the soul reasons why I chose not to play smash 4 anymore.

I know others will disagree with me, but hear me out. In smash, landing a hit on someone is good right? So when I land that hit on someone, I should get rewarded for landing that hit, not punished for it right? So for example: when Marth hits someone with an up air, don't you think that the move should AT LEAST have enough hit-stun for him to AT LEAST get out of range/defend himself before the other character can hit him back? I don't even care if moves combo, as long as they aren't going the other way. The fact that hitting an opponent allows THEM to hit it YOU back before you can (due to many moves with lacking of hit-stun or extraordinarily high lag) is ridiculous and extremely frustrating. You want to reward people for doing good things in the game, not punish them or put them in a bad position. And for those of you who will probably say "You just need to learn the game and work with what you have", or "There is no right or wrong in smash" these are just excuses for poor game design. If I can play a game that doesn't have these issues, I would much rather do that.

Obviously, there are some exceptions to this, like recovery moves or some moves that put you into free fall. But unless you miss an attack, or your opponent dodges/shields your attack, landing a hit should ALWAYS put you at an advantage. Shields and dodges are just like this in smash, when you Shield or dodge a move, you gain the advantage and the game allows you to grab or attack your opponent because you succeeded. But unlike defensive options, landing a hit it can do the exact opposite and punish you for doing something the game, being a fighting game, considers "Good". This is true for some moves/characters, and because of this, those characters/moves go unused. It's also extremely frustrating to play as those characters because the game punishes you unjustly. This ruined smash 4 for me, especially since I found some of my favorite characters almost unplayable, causing me to lose match on match to people who I can best in other smash games. When the thing you love is made into such a frustration and an annoyance, it's just not fun anymore. At the very least, landing a hit should put you into a safe position rather than making you vulnerable. A change like that on it's own might bring me back to this game.

Top Bottom