• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Game and Watch Matchup help

Spheal37

Smash Rookie
NNID
Spheal37
So I am going to money match a G&W in a couple of weeks. I noticed there was no Game and Watch match-up thread for me to do my homework with (If there is this thread can be deleted), so I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about the match-up and how to be effective. My G&W knowledge is pretty basic as I've never played a good one and only used him a couple times in friendlies so I know some of his functions but nothing advanced. However I do know is shield is small so what are some ways Yoshi could apply a lot of pressure on it. I also plan on youtubing some of the best game and watch's and studying them. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
Absolutely watch out for his nair offstage, I play both characters and G&W's nair is good for taking away the double jump armor, especially with that huge hitbox.

Last edited:

DD151

Smash Journeyman
Never recover low above 51% (which is when unstaled N-air breaks Yoshi's DJ) because that's just asking for G&W to jump out and N-air you. If you get hit by N-air high, you can still fall or air dodge back to the stage because N-air doesn't send Yoshi into tumble out of DJ until 117%. Don't spam the down-B edgehog recovery option because that's super easy to intercept with N-air.

Nuttre

Smash Apprentice
GnG is really light, dsmash and nair kill super early, so those are your kill moves (Uair too, but only at high percents). Since he is so light you can follow up on throws very quickly.

Icyo

Smash Ace
You could probably snipe him with an upsmash if he tries coming down with the key.

DD151

Smash Journeyman
You could probably snipe him with an upsmash if he tries coming down with the key.
I wouldn't try challenging the D-air with U-smash unless G&W is at kill % because there are better options that aren't as likely to trade and are more likely to lead into an edgeguard or a follow-up. D-air can't be L-canceled and it doesn't have good horizontal reach, so it can be punished by wavedash -> ground move or reverse DJC N-air or U-air. aMSa has a kill % list for high/top/mid tiers in the ask Vman thread, so take Puff's kill %s and add maybe 6% or so to account for difference in falling speed and you have G&W's kill %s.

EDIT: My bad, it's N-air/B-air/U-air that can't be L-canceled. There are still better punishes than U-smash below kill %.

Last edited:

Klaww

Smash Cadet
NNID
KlawwTheClown
3DS FC
1220-6841-7284
I know absolutely nothing about the Yoshi-G&W matchup, but I do know that Yoshi's downthrow works differently against G&W compared to all the other characters. G&W doesn't bounce into the air after being d-thrown and it looks like he can tech before your throwing animation ends. Not sure if he can or not, but it definitely feels really weird if you're not expecting it.

Spheal37

Smash Rookie
NNID
Spheal37
So I have a question. Since G&W shield is so bad do you think Yoshi's dair would be effective for racking up damage or just applying pressure?

kofinater

Smash Apprentice
i'd back air instead of dair. Dair's ending lag is too bad, bair will almost always poke. Most g&w mains will sweet spot the ledge which is really telegraphed because of how slow g&w is, be sure to grab ledge with djc.

Spheal37

Smash Rookie
NNID
Spheal37
Ok thanks. Also anybody know which stages I should ban/go to. I think Yoshi's is a G&W favorite but I'm not sure.

DD151

Smash Journeyman
If your opponent is not well-practiced with G&W's recovery, he won't be able to sweetspot on Yoshi's. Watch out for Randall, though.

Last edited:

Pabmyster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pabmyster
iirc spacing with d tilt and eggs is really good, d tilt outspacing his, and eggs can't be bucketed and do decent shield damage when ECEd. If you're not playing Qerb i wouldn't worry too much though :smirk: jk watch out for his fsmash and upsmash, they can pack a punch! don't forget about judge either ;)

Top Bottom