• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gale Boomerang vs Cypher

theEffinBear

Smash Apprentice
I've posted a pretty massive description of when Snake will actually be knocked off the Cypher [thread=182223]here[/thread]. I noticed something interesting and possibly useful when I was testing attacks that deal 7% and 8% damage (in [post=4911784]this post[/post]): Link's Gale Boomerang deals the most damage at close range, 7%, which means it will never interrupt the Cypher Armor. But as soon as the Boomerang hits the Cyphering Snake, the whirlwind activates and pushes him backwards a bit. If he's trying to move towards the stage, the boomerang + whirlwind pushes him enough that it's as if he didn't DI at all. If he Cyphers straight up, the boomerang+whirlwind makes it seem like he was DI'ing away from the stage, according to where he finishes (approximately).
.EDIT: it pushes him about 1, maybe 1.5 Stage Builder blocks away, though I THINK it will even override his current momentum to do this, so it may have a greater effect the later you hit him while he's still Cypher'ing. I'm not sure yet, and it's proving hard to test..

And since the boomerang doesn't break the Cypher Armor, he can't to use the Cypher again without C4'ing himself (or dying, of course).

I couldn't find any mention of this interaction between the Gale Boomerang and the Cypher on the first several pages of the Link forum, nor by doing a search, so perhaps this is new. I don't know if how well this can work in an actual match, but hey, Link needs all the help he can get. It's probably a lot easier to hit a Cypher'ing Snake with the regular Boomerang than it is to try to Gale Guard him.

If this is known and already recorded, I'd love to see it in action.
/RtEB

AmigoOne

Smash Journeyman
I don't think whirlwind activates fast enough for it to affect Snake. The boomerang travels too fast for that. That plus when you hit, the rang starts heading back, and then it would pull snake back instead of away even if it didnt travel too fast. I dont really see what you are saying.

The only way I can see it is just normal gale guarding, which always goes through the opponent at a speed way too fast to affect recovery drastically unless the opponent is really at the edge of his recovery trying to reach it, which I don't think would apply to Snake since his is ridonkulous.

theEffinBear

Smash Apprentice
I don't think whirlwind activates fast enough for it to affect Snake. The boomerang travels too fast for that. That plus when you hit, the rang starts heading back, and then it would pull snake back instead of away even if it didnt travel too fast. I dont really see what you are saying.
I tried it some more, and it actually does this with Super Armor as well as Cypher Armor (since the Gale Boomerang can't break the Cypher Armor). It only works because of the Armor, though, or else your target would get hit out of range of the wind effect. Try it with Olimar: have him hit down-B so he's Super Armored right as your Gale Boomerang hits him, and he will slide AWAY from you due to the wind effect. It's like throwing a Gale Boomerang at someone who's just barely outside the normal range of the 'Rang: the whirlwind is a bit larger than the actual wingèd stick, so it pushes them away a little when the wind effect activates before coming back to you. If the target is ignoring the Boomerang's regular knockback due to some Armor, then the pushback happens even though they take the damage.

It's not as effective as Gale Guarding: the pushback is only about 1 to 1.5 Stage Builder blocks as compared with Gale Guarding's max of ~3 blocks, but it should be MUCH easier to pull off. Like you said, Snake's recovery is huge, so it probably won't prevent him from recovering, but it could keep him towards the edge, which (I think) is still beneficial.

/RtEB

Top Bottom