• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gabukin FG Highlights! Low level / Intermediate gameplay.

Gabukin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gabukin
~IMPORTANT!~
- I do not own a 3ds capture card, so unfortunately I have to record these matches with my camera. I apologize for the low quality & for white noise in the backround!
- I'm am currently an amateur at smash, so what you see may be low level gameplay. I am trying very hard to improve to become a better player at this game. So please give me your support!
- Most of these "highlights" are matches that I'm personally proud of. Either because I preformed a nice combo or I won a match I was not expecting to win.

Hey guys, I've been recording some (Low quality) matches for my youtube channel. It be cool if you guys would be willing to check them out!
https://www.youtube.com/user/Gabukin/videos
As I said above, I'm currently an amateur player. But I am looking to improve at smash and hopefully one day I hope I can call myself a professional smash bros player!

~EDIT~
I would post the matches directly here but I've recorded over 88 matches so far ( I've only uploaded 73 though ) and don't wanna Flood smashboards with all those videos, so for now you'll have to watch them on my youtube page. If a Mod is reading this please let me know if its okay for me to post all my videos here.

Last edited:

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
Haha I wouldn't be embarrassed. Not everyone wants to see high level play. To people just starting out, videos of pros performing all these advanced techniques across the stage can be really confusing, and maybe even discouraging to some extent. I think videos of low-intermediate play can be very useful to many people, whether they're starting out and wanting to improve on a specific character or if they want to see the most common ways to counter a character they're having difficulty beating.

Take them down if you really want to, but I personally think that does more bad than good. I'll be popping in every now and then to watch them and to keep up with current tactics. Best of luck with improving; this'll be a great way to record your progress.

Gabukin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gabukin
Haha I wouldn't be embarrassed. Not everyone wants to see high level play. To people just starting out, videos of pros performing all these advanced techniques across the stage can be really confusing, and maybe even discouraging to some extent. I think videos of low-intermediate play can be very useful to many people, whether they're starting out and wanting to improve on a specific character or if they want to see the most common ways to counter a character they're having difficulty beating.

Take them down if you really want to, but I personally think that does more bad than good. I'll be popping in every now and then to watch them and to keep up with current tactics. Best of luck with improving; this'll be a great way to record your progress.
I'm one of those people who are discouraged when I watch high level play. I just want to take them down because they are humiliating. some of them are not even good matches. there is a match where I fought a Toon link player and HE SD'd twice.
I just feel like they are just gonna get disliked like crazy because of the gameplay being so...amateur.

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
I'm one of those people who are discouraged when I watch high level play. I just want to take them down because they are humiliating. some of them are not even good matches. there is a match where I fought a Toon link player and HE SD'd twice.
I just feel like they are just gonna get disliked like crazy because of the gameplay being so...amateur.
I wouldn't let it bother you if they get disliked. I'm sure you can turn ratings off if you want to, but if you really feel uncomfortable with keeping them up, maybe give it a few weeks/months until you feel more confident with your abilities.

AsteriskRocks

Smash Rookie

Exactly this.

Gabukin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gabukin
I uploaded a few more matches since I've posted this. nothing to great. I do feel like I'm improving.

PingPongCop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bottlecapn
3DS FC
2938-8474-3044
I'm suprised to see that you're willing to post those videos! You really shouldn't let other people talk you down, because all you're gonna do is improve. It is literally impossible not to improve. Period.

Anyways, mind if I give you some constructive criticism and praise?

Things you might need to work on:

Approaching your opponent- You have to (and I mean absolutely HAVE to) approach your opponent in different ways, varying throughout the match. Approaching the same way becomes predictable

Spot Dodging- Spot Dodging will save your life! Characters with relatively powerful grabs (Like Sonic and R.O.B) or characters who can easily combo after their grabs (Like Sheik and Mr. Game and Watch) must be avoided. Characters with powerful grabs you shouldn't worry about Spot Dodging until you reach the 100%s.

Knowing your opponent's character's combo abilites - This is an easy way to avoid some percent, but it doesn't always work. Just simply know what their characters percent building combos are and predict that they're gonna use them. Of course, your opponent might not always use them, and the character may have several.

Advanced Techs? - There arent many discovered yet, but you might want to learn them. I mean you don't have to use them, as I don't really use them either. And most are character specific. (except Turnaround cancelling, which is pretty useful on medium speed to faster characters.)

Things you've got down:

Knowledge of combos/ Where it is possible to combo- I saw that Game & Watch video you posted recently.... Holy crap XD
Seriously, TWO D-throws into 9s? That is just... wow! Everyone in this thread needs to watch it. It is just awesome!

Dodge Rolling - Wouldn't worry about

What moves are safe and not safe - This may get confusing for bigger characters, but you've got this one down.

Basic knowledge of moves - You seem to know what every characters moves are and their properties.

Well that's all, and don't stop trying to learn! You're only gonna get better!

Gabukin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gabukin
I'm suprised to see that you're willing to post those videos! You really shouldn't let other people talk you down, because all you're gonna do is improve. It is literally impossible not to improve. Period.

Anyways, mind if I give you some constructive criticism and praise?

Things you might need to work on:

Approaching your opponent- You have to (and I mean absolutely HAVE to) approach your opponent in different ways, varying throughout the match. Approaching the same way becomes predictable

Spot Dodging- Spot Dodging will save your life! Characters with relatively powerful grabs (Like Sonic and R.O.B) or characters who can easily combo after their grabs (Like Sheik and Mr. Game and Watch) must be avoided. Characters with powerful grabs you shouldn't worry about Spot Dodging until you reach the 100%s.

Knowing your opponent's character's combo abilites - This is an easy way to avoid some percent, but it doesn't always work. Just simply know what their characters percent building combos are and predict that they're gonna use them. Of course, your opponent might not always use them, and the character may have several.

Advanced Techs? - There arent many discovered yet, but you might want to learn them. I mean you don't have to use them, as I don't really use them either. And most are character specific. (except Turnaround cancelling, which is pretty useful on medium speed to faster characters.)

Things you've got down:

Knowledge of combos/ Where it is possible to combo- I saw that Game & Watch video you posted recently.... Holy crap XD
Seriously, TWO D-throws into 9s? That is just... wow! Everyone in this thread needs to watch it. It is just awesome!

Dodge Rolling - Wouldn't worry about

What moves are safe and not safe - This may get confusing for bigger characters, but you've got this one down.

Basic knowledge of moves - You seem to know what every characters moves are and their properties.

Well that's all, and don't stop trying to learn! You're only gonna get better!
You're completely right (and sorry for the late reply) I definitely need to work on a lot of stuff. My approaches are kinda bad.
I've always struggled with good ways to approach, Especially with Robin. also I'm pretty terrible defensively. I don't really know how to spot dodge effectively. I feel like every time I spot dodge I get punished for it so I tend to roll more often, even though rolling can be pretty unsafe.
I posted a few more videos can you give me some more critique please?

Last edited:

KarleKat

Smash Cadet
I came across one of your videos on YT following another search I made, and I wanted to say that I really enjoyed them. Particularly how you used Charizard's Flare Blitz on a couple of videos - those moments made me crack a smile, what a way to end a match! Spectacular. You have some pretty good timing. XD

I'm also an amateur, but I try not to take the game so seriously that I don't have fun. Keep at it!

Gabukin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gabukin
I came across one of your videos on YT following another search I made, and I wanted to say that I really enjoyed them. Particularly how you used Charizard's Flare Blitz on a couple of videos - those moments made me crack a smile, what a way to end a match! Spectacular. You have some pretty good timing. XD

I'm also an amateur, but I try not to take the game so seriously that I don't have fun. Keep at it!
Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed them.
Thankfully I have a capture card for my wii u, so once that versions out I'll be able to post better quality videos!
And ya Charizards Flare blitz is a great way to end a match. :)

PingPongCop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bottlecapn
3DS FC
2938-8474-3044
You're completely right (and sorry for the late reply) I definitely need to work on a lot of stuff. My approaches are kinda bad.
I've always struggled with good ways to approach, Especially with Robin. also I'm pretty terrible defensively. I don't really know how to spot dodge effectively. I feel like every time I spot dodge I get punished for it so I tend to roll more often, even though rolling can be pretty unsafe.
I posted a few more videos can you give me some more critique please?
After those few matches I played with you, I think you are a great player, even better than I am! The only thing I saw you doing incorrectly in our matches was shielding and dodge rolling in a rather predictable pattern. Of course, I'm terrible at figuring these things out during the match so I never adapted to them. Your combo game and ledge guarding skills are awesome!

Your approaches are only bad because you were playing Robin. Robin has only two unpredictable ways of "approaching"

1.) Running and/or jumping and using Arc Fire

2.) Charging Thunder, forcing the opponent to come to you

Which then become predictable later in the match. I'd say your approaches were far better than mine!

We can play more friendlies any time, my friend! (redundancy is redundant)

Gabukin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gabukin
After those few matches I played with you, I think you are a great player, even better than I am! The only thing I saw you doing incorrectly in our matches was shielding and dodge rolling in a rather predictable pattern. Of course, I'm terrible at figuring these things out during the match so I never adapted to them. Your combo game and ledge guarding skills are awesome!

Your approaches are only bad because you were playing Robin. Robin has only two unpredictable ways of "approaching"

1.) Running and/or jumping and using Arc Fire

2.) Charging Thunder, forcing the opponent to come to you

Which then become predictable later in the match. I'd say your approaches were far better than mine!

We can play more friendlies any time, my friend! (redundancy is redundant)
I was surprised when I found out you were on Smashladder.

But Yes, I definitely need to work on my approaching. I actually need to do more work on my defensive play quite a bit.
Like you said, I am VERY predictable. I'm pretty much a children's book (easy to read). Unfortunately this is where I've plateaued for now. I don't know how to improve past the point I'm at now. I'm sure I'll get over this Hurdle soon enough but for now I'm not sure what to do.

Last edited:

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
I was surprised when I found out you were on Smashladder.

But Yes, I definitely need to work on my approaching. I actually need to do more work on my defensive play quite a bit.
Like you said, I am VERY predictable. I'm pretty much a children's book (easy to read). Unfortunately this is where I've plateaued for now. I don't know how to improve past the point I'm at now. I'm sure I'll get over this Hurdle soon enough but for now I'm not sure what to do.
You are on Smashladder? I was about to send you a link to the website to help you out :c The players on there that I have played so far are really nice and are very good at the game. You should always ask how you can improve when you play someone who beat you in between matches or at the end of the set. I actually feel encouraged when I watch high level play, because it makes me want to play at their level. You can also learn a lot from watching them,but if you are playing against them and you could barely do a thing to them you probably won't know what you did wrong since they are just much better as a player. Are you going to post any videos from Smashladder by the way? I have the same username on their that I have here,so maybe we can play a few games and we can help each other out. I have to say your combo game is STRONG in these videos though.

Gabukin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gabukin
You are on Smashladder? I was about to send you a link to the website to help you out :c The players on there that I have played so far are really nice and are very good at the game. You should always ask how you can improve when you play someone who beat you in between matches or at the end of the set. I actually feel encouraged when I watch high level play, because it makes me want to play at their level. You can also learn a lot from watching them,but if you are playing against them and you could barely do a thing to them you probably won't know what you did wrong since they are just much better as a player. Are you going to post any videos from Smashladder by the way? I have the same username on their that I have here,so maybe we can play a few games and we can help each other out. I have to say your combo game is STRONG in these videos though.
Once I get the Wii U version I definitely plan on uploading matches I play on smashladder. I have a capture card for my Wii U Thankfully. :)
I don't get on smashladder to often though. I have been trying to use the site more though.

Top Bottom