• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

G&W Little Known Tech: Burying the Key

NouveauRétro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Royal_Bros.
So, I play Smash 4 a lot, and when you have the combination of my playtime and my horrible butterfingers, you find interesting things by accident.

So there's a local Falcon I was doing friendlies with, and his default ledge guard option is jab. He was catching me a lot with it, and figuring out how to get past it cosst me a few games. Then I accidentally found something that got me out of that trap with a very high success rate.

Anyone who plays G&W often knows that because the Smash Bros. devs decided to take out the ability of moves that change aerial momentum to change momentum out of hitstun, Bucket Braking is gone and using dair out of hitstun means it doesn't stall-and-fall like usual and G&W just does the move without stalling or falling. This new property is the basis of this trick.

So, as you definitely know, G&W dair has a hitbox that comes out as soon as G&W lands. However, since the move air stalls until frame 12 you can't get the landing hitbox before then since you aren't descending. However, the stall doesn't happen out of hitstun. See where this is going?

So, when I got up/rolled from the ledge into that Falcon holding a, I accidentally input a dair, and I found that I got the landing hitbox prematurely and hit him with it! I tried it and got it most of the time in the friendlies after that, and unless Falcon hit me with just the tip of his fist and outspaced the landing dair hitbox, I broke out of Falcon jab on anticipation with a very high success rate, as long as I could get hit in a place where the gentlemen didn't combo into itself. Basically, at certain jab spacing I was having a lot of trouble finding an option to escape as he was covering nearly every normal getup option at that spacing. But I found that if I rolled in I would get hit awkwardly at his shoulder which would give me a few frames of leeway which I used to dair and switch our places, with me onstage and him offstage!

So there we go. It's a simple trick but it works. If you're very low to the ground in a situation where you can dair out of hitstun, do so and then you will land prematurely, skipping most of the startup and burying your key to the ground with no startup animation. So far I've only used it against that Falcon but when I think about it it should also help with especially loosely connecting jabs and other moves.

I'll see if I can't find any other moves I can spam dair out of! Please leave suggestions as to moves that raise you up awkwardly so that you can get a dair out before you land.

Findings so far.

Oh boy, it works on G&W's own jab 1. If G&W jabs another G&W too close it's a guaranteed dair lol
Can break out of Shiek's jab 1 and counter it.
Can perform on Diddy with dtilt at certain percents and counter them.
(INCOMPLETE) early break out of Falco jab. Needs more testing to see how quickly one can escape.
Can clash Kirby jab at lower percents
Can beat Ness jab2-3 transtition to 20% and clash after that until 30%

Last edited:

Ephenilliac

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ephenilliac
3DS FC
5455-9900-2775
So, I play Smash 4 a lot, and when you have the combination of my playtime and my horrible butterfingers, you find interesting things by accident.

So there's a local Falcon I was doing friendlies with, and his default ledge guard option is jab. He was catching me a lot with it, and figuring out how to get past it cosst me a few games. Then I accidentally found something that got me out of that trap with a very high success rate.

Anyone who plays G&W often knows that because the Smash Bros. devs decided to take out the ability of moves that change aerial momentum to change momentum out of hitstun, Bucket Braking is gone and using dair out of hitstun means it doesn't stall-and-fall like usual and G&W just does the move without stalling or falling. This new property is the basis of this trick.

So, as you definitely know, G&W dair has a hitbox that comes out as soon as G&W lands. However, since the move air stalls until frame 12 you can't get the landing hitbox before then since you aren't descending. However, the stall doesn't happen out of hitstun. See where this is going?

So, when I got up/rolled from the ledge into that Falcon holding a, I accidentally input a dair, and I found that I got the landing hitbox prematurely and hit him with it! I tried it and got it most of the time in the friendlies after that, and unless Falcon hit me with just the tip of his fist and outspaced the landing dair hitbox, I broke out of Falcon jab on anticipation with a very high success rate, as long as I could get hit in a place where the gentlemen didn't combo into itself. Basically, at certain jab spacing I was having a lot of trouble finding an option to escape as he was covering nearly every normal getup option at that spacing. But I found that if I rolled in I would get hit awkwardly at his shoulder which would give me a few frames of leeway which I used to dair and switch our places, with me onstage and him offstage!

So there we go. It's a simple trick but it works. If you're very low to the ground in a situation where you can dair out of hitstun, do so and then you will land prematurely, skipping most of the startup and burying your key to the ground with no startup animation. So far I've only used it against that Falcon but when I think about it it should also help with especially loosely connecting jabs and other moves.

I'll see if I can't find any other moves I can spam dair out of! Please leave suggestions as to moves that raise you up awkwardly so that you can get a dair out before you land.

Findings so far.

Oh boy, it works on G&W's own jab 1. If G&W jabs another G&W too close it's a guaranteed dair lol
Can break out of Shiek's jab 1 and counter it.
Can perform on Diddy with dtilt at certain percents and counter them.
(INCOMPLETE) early break out of Falco jab. Needs more testing to see how quickly one can escape.
Can clash Kirby jab at lower percents
Can beat Ness jab2-3 transtition to 20% and clash after that until 30%
What are the certain percents you can do this trick on Diddy Kong's dtilt? Any memory of it?

Top Bottom