• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

G&W Approaches

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
What do you guys approach with? Going just with F-air d-tilt gets ***** by people like Ganon I realized, so I always F-air --> jab once or twice then d-tilt

Kudos to Qerb for bringing out the G&W in Apex doubles

Although G&W sucks in doubles

Roy is pretty damn good in doubles though

j00t

Smash Champion
fair, dtilt, and jab are really the only approach options for G&W.

bair is sometimes good as well, but they have to be in the air.

You should really be looking more into baiting your opponent to approach though. G&W gets punished hard if the approach fails.

/Jwnz\

Smash Cadet
I'm a big fan of wavedash --> up-tilt/ down-tilt/ jab. Also a large fan of F-airing right infront of them, purposly missing, and hoping they run into it so I can follow up with a tilt or airiel of some sort. If it does miss them I just tilt or jab or wave dash in some random direction and throw out some more jabs and tilts. Honestly, all you can do is mind game them into a trap.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
I'm a big fan of wavedash --> up-tilt/ down-tilt/ jab. Also a large fan of F-airing right infront of them, purposly missing, and hoping they run into it so I can follow up with a tilt or airiel of some sort. If it does miss them I just tilt or jab or wave dash in some random direction and throw out some more jabs and tilts. Honestly, all you can do is mind game them into a trap.
Actually, a lot of these things are really unsafe. Jab and dtilt are pretty much the safest things you can do. Doing anything else haphazardly can get you punished pretty hard. Maybe for shield pressure, mix up WD>dtilt>jab>grab with WD>jab>grab and with WD>grab.

DualCats

Smash Ace
You should really be looking more into baiting your opponent to approach though. G&W gets punished hard if the approach fails.
This. All of G&W's approach options are extremely exploitable.

It's really important to know how to space your moves when you approach because it's so easy to get shield-grabbed out of everything. wd > utilt totally works against players who like to dair when they get frustrated/combo-frisky but if it becomes a normal mix-up, it's way too easy to punish.

I spend a lot of time with G&W just wavelanding around and dashdancing and wait for my opponent to lose focus or do something punishable.

DualCats

Smash Ace
Especially with bairs. You can also launch people into cool **** if you edge-cancel uairs :3

It's also like the only safe way to use dair on stage outside of tech-chasing/punishes.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
And I guess edge-cancelled fairs and nairs are good for creating huge walls of destructive hitbox. Has anyone actually used edge-cancelled nairs? I know edge-cancelled fairs are quite common. I feel like edge-cancelled nair>L-cancelled fair could be nice if one is fishing for a kill.

DualCats

Smash Ace
I usually use nair to finish combos or tech-chase so there's rarely a lot of utility in edge-canceling them but it's still pretty easy to do. Useful if you're tech-chasing someone onto a platform or on the edge. It gets you out of lag a few frames sooner, which is never a bad thing, I suppose. It usually has too much knock-back to immediately follow up with anything and if your opponent is at lower-ish percent, there's probably better things to be doing than fishing for edge-cancelled nairs.

GCS Gaming Customs

https://gcsgamingcustoms.storenvy.com
Sounds a bit unorthodox, but approaching with bacon (running into the animation for a longer pan reach) can be pretty effective, especially against characters like gabon who lack the range or speed to deal with it. Its fairly risky but can throw off the other player and usually works out in your favor (in my experience). It eliminates a lot of options, because its hard to get through and if your opponent runs away G&W can now approach/defend with the help of a wall of bacon, which helps cancel out aerial approaches form your opponent. Also, you can throw off a grabby marth and cover the spot dodge.

That is, if you are smart with the bacon and know how to space and use it.. I see a lot of players always opt to 4 bacons for the least lag and most coverage, although it doesn't always cover the most options.

Top Bottom