• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fury: An MMORPG for PvPers.

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
Fury is a RPG, but with an exclusive focus on PvP (there are no PvE mobs). I have personally been waiting for this kind of game for a long time, and it has a ton of potential.

the official site: http://unleashthefury.com/
the first (and only) fansite/forums: http://fury-sanctuary.com/

Some things you may find interesting about the game...

-No PvE mobs
-No Mana bar (instead, replaced with a "Charge bar" which charges and depletes depending on the types of skills used
-No Classes or Professions
-Full PvP support with many maps, game types, and team sizes (including free for alls and 32vs32 battles).
-equipment/items (including potions) and skills are tied to the same item-points sytem, so taking great armour, weapons, and potions may mean taking crappy skills, or few skills.
-"Incarnations" can be saved quick selecting useful builds later.
-Built on the Unreal 3 engine.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
This looks interesting, never heard about it before now. I play WoW, and I missed the old massive town raids that were in before they killed it with their pvp ranking system they implemented. I dont really like how hardcore WoW is, and this looks like I wont have to devout 5 hours to be able to kill people that are equal skill to me.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Sigh, it's not gonna be out until next year and it'll probably be in the $15 per month field.

Eh, I can wait.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
$15 is average for MMOs now. The lowest is I believe $12. There is A LOT more to MMOs than just streaming content and running servers will be quite expensive if the game is big enough.

Guild Wars kinda proved you have to pay for a good MMO.

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
I'm still not convinced it costs that much to keep the servers up. When you consider that I can host a website with more information on it than is stored for my character for about 5 or 10 dollars a month, I think it's ludicrous how much we've let WoW and EverQuest get away with. In the end, I think monthly fees make the game better, but if the game is too expensive, it will scare away a large portion of the people that would be attracted to a PvP game: the FPS and RTS enthusiasts who are coming from their free games.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
No, not at all. A website is NOTHING like an MMO. Why? You are transfering much larger amounts of files and storing larger characters than even the biggest website.

On top of maintaining servers, they need to pay Gamemasters, programmers, scripters, designers, ect. to CONSTANTLY update the game. Hence why the monthly fee is so necessary.

Also, WoW has a much bigger fan base than some games if sell, so I don't think it bothers people.

You don't want to pay, you don't need to play.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Well, I got into the beta. It's a closed beta, but I'm allowed to relay information. I'll take shots tomorrow and post them.

hyrdalisk23

Smash Rookie
Looks interesting, PvP always was my favorite part of the MMO formula, although I'm curious how it will function with no mobs to train on.

Arkengate

Smash Journeyman
Eor, thats when i quit WoW... lol... Remember back in the day in Booty Bay and... what was that one place for horde/alliance at like lvl 20? (after silverpine+barrens horde side, never played alliance) where everyone got ganked 5000 times ^_^

Back in the day when skill meant more then gear, lol.. i hear its horrible now days

Arkengate

Smash Journeyman
BTW, Crimson, Guild wars is a VERY solid MMORPG with a really big fanbase.. its not a "pve" game by any means, its, "Me and my 15 friends do PVP every 2 days for a few hours" or "We're competing for tournaments for $"... Plus its bigger in europe/asian than here... thats why they win pvp usually =P

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Guild Wars was trash, but it was better than many I played. I got Guild Wars the day it came out and played like two months solid, got to Level 20, beat all the quests and was playing PVP for a long time. Then it got boring as games like that get. No clue if Fury will get like that.

Guild Wars is NOT an MMO. It's an "Instanced Online RPG". Like Diablo, the cities are just visual chat rooms. The open levels are actually the game rooms. There is nothing massive about it.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
The Fury Beta Post (Warning 56kers)

Well, I had a lot more time to experiment. I really like what I saw. The game has two introductions. A training ground to familiarize yourself with combat, and a vendor mall for classes. Classes are called arch types and there were 8 to chose from. What I can remember were Destroyer, Invoker, Overlord and Defiler are the dark magic archtypes, while the champion, healer, warden, and another class are the light magic archtypes.

A really neat feature about this class system is the ability to test out all the classes in a combat arena against some bots. You are automatically healed so worries there. Once you select the archtype, you go into your first battle - a free-for-all against 31 other players. I didn't get a chance to try that aspect out as the game crashed (hey, it IS the beta) but I was pleased by the intro.

Lag was minimal even for a beta test which was pleasing.

Below are some pictures I took. Sorry 56kers:

Tonight, I'll go do the free-for-all and get some pictures. If there is any interest, I'll add them as well.

Sandwich

Smash Ace
I would play but I have AOL

To put this into perspective, if I tried to bot Pokemon Netbattle I would crash my own computer.

Top Bottom