• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Full Hop Fireballs

cod3kill

Smash Cadet
When I see people play Mario I see them use a lot of full hop fireballs. Is there a really good reason to use full hop fireballs as opposed to short hops?

Smaggles

Smash Cadet
It's just aiming the fire balls, pretty sure. You fire them off from the location that you believe is best, and will not get you punished. They will bounce higher if you jump higher, and will fall at a different trajectory.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
lots of reasons
helps you aim fireballs
they bounce higher
can lead to combos like fireball up air to whatever, or fireball nair
shield pressure. fireball, ff upair, jab/dtilt should beat shieldgrab
you can also mix fh and sh fireballs for pressure coming from different angles.
also for people like me who have bad tech skill and miss my auto cancels all the time. it's only a few frames difference but still can make a big difference.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
When you full-hop Fireball and THEN shorthop Fireball, you create a very small approach window for your opponent, as there will be projectiles heading towards them from all the directions, so basically what Smaggles said.

GeZ

Smash Lord
There's a lot of good reasons but a lot of people just use it as a crutch. SH fireball should be what you're using most of the time, as you're aiming to make openings with fireballs, rather than wall people out with them, and while FH fireball > Nair is a nice trick, once your opponent sees it they'll know to shield grab it.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
if you hit with that fireball though, nair can get you the stock. I would never firball nair into someones shield though. but there's tons of things you can do, fireball, waveland back -> whatever. fireball, fast fall upair, dtilt. fireball cape nair, or fireball cape wavelande. in my experience following up FH fireball with grabs/titls/smashes is just as effective as doing it with short hops, so I FH most of the time, I feel like there is more options.

GeZ

Smash Lord
While their may be more options, the player has intrinsically less control over their character when the character is airborne. FH fireball isn't a terrible idea, and it can lead to some good follow ups, but the loss in maneuverability puts you at a disadvantage if your opponent see's FH fireball coming. At that point it's just a question of playing/ having played a varied game.

I think SH fireball is a bit better just because it gives you a good amount of options while also leaving Mario grounded where he can take full advantage of his movement.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I there those are better for edge guarding, in general. They cover the middle-ish recovery attempts rather well. You can use that other places and drop in a nair when you land, but those are a lot easier to punish.

Top Bottom