• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

From Wii U to PM any tips?

ProjectNaman

Smash Rookie
I'm new to PM, for the past few months I've been strictly playing S4 (wii u) and don't know exactly where to start....can anyone give me any tips? (good mains for this version etc suggestions)

Last edited:

ilysm

sleepy
Practice movement. A lot. Smash 4 is cool and I love it, but it just doesn't have the same wealth of movement options as PM does. So go into training mode on Battlefield and just grind out dash dances and wavedashes/lands and ledgehops and all the rest until it becomes second nature, just a part of the way you move around the stage without really intending to. That'll be a huge part of being good at a game with Melee-style physics.

Learn about the characters. Some people say Project M is more matchup-dependent than Melee, which I don't believe to be true—you just need to realistically learn more than like eight matchups—but it doesn't change the fact that there are more matchups to learn. The cool part of this bit of advice is that—at least in my opinion—it's a lot of fun. There are so many cool tools and tricks that PM gives to a huge variety of characters, and learning what they can do in relation to your main is not only useful but also pretty interesting imo.

Speaking of mains, the question of 'who should I main?' is always a hard one to answer, but it is especially so in PM. The great thing about the game is pretty much everyone is viable. It seems like you have a history of playing Luigi; he's quite good in this game. Decent recovery, weird movement options, a good combo game and damage output. But experiment. See who feels the most natural fit for you. Learn a bit about some of the characters' unique abilities until you find one that makes you say "Ah, that sounds cool!" and try to do it. Get familiarized with the different properties of each attack. Smash 4 recycles move uses a bit (most down throws are the combo throws, most up airs are the juggle moves, most back airs are 'shove the opponent away from the stage' attacks), but in PM there's quite a bit of variety. Some characters are totally unusual—Lucario, Snake. See who clicks. Best of luck with PM! It's a really enjoyable game.

Last edited:

SilentDeadbolt

Smash Cadet
I'm new to PM, for the past few months I've been strictly playing S4 (wii u) and don't know exactly where to start....can anyone give me any tips? (good mains for this version etc suggestions)
Everything Indigeau said is right, I would just like to also give you a few pieces of advice. When it comes to tech skill, it can seem overwhelming at first. You feel like you know nothing and there's no way to catch up to other players. However in all honesty, besides spacies the tech skill for pretty much any character isn't super difficult and you'll be able to learn it as long as you just practice. Just don't try to learn everything at once. Start with very simple things like dashdancing first. Once you can dashdance with ease(sidenote this doesn't mean just mindlessly moving back and forth it means being able to use it to bait opponents etc.) you can start learning wave dashing. Then try to incorporate wavedashing in your dashdance. Then platform wavelands, wavelands from the edge etc. Just remember you don't have to learn all of it at once.

ProjectNaman

Smash Rookie
Thank you
Practice movement. A lot. Smash 4 is cool and I love it, but it just doesn't have the same wealth of movement options as PM does. So go into training mode on Battlefield and just grind out dash dances and wavedashes/lands and ledgehops and all the rest until it becomes second nature, just a part of the way you move around the stage without really intending to. That'll be a huge part of being good at a game with Melee-style physics.

Learn about the characters. Some people say Project M is more matchup-dependent than Melee, which I don't believe to be true—you just need to realistically learn more than like eight matchups—but it doesn't change the fact that there are more matchups to learn. The cool part of this bit of advice is that—at least in my opinion—it's a lot of fun. There are so many cool tools and tricks that PM gives to a huge variety of characters, and learning what they can do in relation to your main is not only useful but also pretty interesting imo.

Speaking of mains, the question of 'who should I main?' is always a hard one to answer, but it is especially so in PM. The great thing about the game is pretty much everyone is viable. It seems like you have a history of playing Luigi; he's quite good in this game. Decent recovery, weird movement options, a good combo game and damage output. But experiment. See who feels the most natural fit for you. Learn a bit about some of the characters' unique abilities until you find one that makes you say "Ah, that sounds cool!" and try to do it. Get familiarized with the different properties of each attack. Smash 4 recycles move uses a bit (most down throws are the combo throws, most up airs are the juggle moves, most back airs are 'shove the opponent away from the stage' attacks), but in PM there's quite a bit of variety. Some characters are totally unusual—Lucario, Snake. See who clicks. Best of luck with PM! It's a really enjoyable game.

I've decided on Luigi and a secondary Marth, I'm actually going to start practicing my techs now! Thank you! Hopefully when I get it down we could have a match or something!

ProjectNaman

Smash Rookie
Everything Indigeau said is right, I would just like to also give you a few pieces of advice. When it comes to tech skill, it can seem overwhelming at first. You feel like you know nothing and there's no way to catch up to other players. However in all honesty, besides spacies the tech skill for pretty much any character isn't super difficult and you'll be able to learn it as long as you just practice. Just don't try to learn everything at once. Start with very simple things like dashdancing first. Once you can dashdance with ease(sidenote this doesn't mean just mindlessly moving back and forth it means being able to use it to bait opponents etc.) you can start learning wave dashing. Then try to incorporate wavedashing in your dashdance. Then platform wavelands, wavelands from the edge etc. Just remember you don't have to learn all of it at once.
Thank you! I actually haven't been dash dancing correctly, I barely get close enough to bait so I'll keep practicing!

ilysm

sleepy
@ ProjectNaman ProjectNaman If you had the WiFi version set up (highly recommend it, it's pretty easy and very useful imo), some matches sound lovely! To keep in mind: I'm still trying to put all that in practice as well, as a scrub myself. Being unable to attend many events (there actually aren't a ton near me, I live just close enough to lively scenes that they qualify as 'near me' but just far enough away that realistically I can't put my life on hold and attend) I've been meaning to put a lot of work into WiFi practice.

Friend code: 4129-1694-8159. Cheers!

ProjectNaman

Smash Rookie
@ ilysm ilysm Alright! I have the same problem to be honest, I've been trying to find events for about two months and no luck haha

Top Bottom