• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

From the Sonic Universe

timidshadow

Smash Apprentice
I was really dissapointed when I looked at the final rooster since a few Sonic characters that would've been great for Brawl were not present. For example, the naturally good figher which would've made an excellent Smasher, Knuckles the Echidna. He would've made both a strong fighter on land and due to his gliding ability, in the air aswell, as for a Final Smash he could just go berserk with punches and all. Another character that might've been something like Mewtwo but distinctly different Silver the Hedgehog. Silver could've used his psychic powers for offensive and defensive purposes and his lack of speed would've balanced him out a bit, as a Final Smash, Silver could've easily just use a vast amount og psychic energy. My last and favorite character from the entire series, Shadow the Hedgehog, they made him into an assist character although I still wanted him playable(Maybe I'm asking too much, lol). I did think of the fact of him being a Sonic clone however he's pretty unique in his own way. For example for Final Smashes he could just used a massive Chaos Control. All though they all have SUPER forms I'm sure there could've been SOME way to squeeze them in, at least one of them.

Any character from the Sonic Universe you would've liked to be in Brawl? Share your ideas and desires, any other good characters that would've been good for Brawl?(Amy Rose + Hammer = DeDeDe Rival, lol, kidding kidding).

EDIT: I understand where all of you are comming from but this just a "What if" thread, nothing to freat about and surely nothing to be discussed on official terms. It's more of having another ideal character from the franchise and how that character would perform, attacks, final smashes and all. This is just to share ideas, nothing more. And YES I DO know that these additions are impossible due to Sonic being a Guest Character like Solid Snake so you don't need to state the obvious people.

shadepaw

Smash Apprentice
I'd have liked Tails. He could use various gadgets that he's famous for making, and also his tails could be used rather uniquely. His final smash could be getting the tornado/cyclone (from SA2) and doing a huge beam (kinda like Samus).

Crab-Meat

Smash Rookie
Not really, Sonic's the only character I really wanted. No other Sonic characters other than Sonic himself deserved the spot.

And I really hope people didn't actually expect another Sonic character to be a PC...

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
See, the thing is that Sonic is a guest character. Guest characters aren't main characters. They're added on as a form of fanservice.

Think of it this way. You are a Sonic fan and a Smash fan. By adding Sonic into the game, Sakurai is appealing to all the Sonic/Smash fans out there. This is a viable buisness move, because there is a very large number of Sonic/Smash fans who will be influenced to buy this game more because of Sonic's inclusion.

Now, let's consider adding the second most likely Sonic character, Tails as a playable character. Tails doesn't bring in a new franchise. He doesn't pull other fans out of the Sonic fanbase into the Brawl one that Sonic hasn't already. All he does is make Sonic's inclusion even sweeter for Sonic fans. Additionally, there are a large number of people who don't like Sonic. By adding more Sonic characters like Tails to the mix, you further alienate those potential customers, while adding no new potential customers.

The reason that we see more than one character of franchises like Mario or Pokemon is because Smash is a predominately nintendo game. If Sakurai had some extra ideas for movesets or techniques, it would make more sense for him to put them on nintendo's characters. Also, the nintendo characters are less of a fanservice deal, and more of a 'simply-making-the-game-good' deal.

SSE EXAMPLE
This explains why Sonic is mostly on the sidelines for SSE. The only reason that Snake has more involvement must be because Sakurai personally liked the character more. He is a longtime friend of Kojima, after all.

Lyoncet

Smash Apprentice
Doesn't it have more to do with the fact that SSE was pretty much done by the time they got the rights to Sonic?

Top Bottom