• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Friends claiming Marth is OP in Project M?

FrankDaTank

Smash Cadet
I've been playing a lot of Project M with my friends lately. One of the main characters I use is Marth. However, I also use Bowser, Ganondorf, Roy, Ike, Sheik, Meta Knight, Link, and Falco regularly.

Whenever I use Marth, my friends always complain he's super OP and they keep saying it's a fact and that everyone and their grandmother agrees that he is, which is plain ignorant of them. It's getting really petty and annoying hearing them just repeat it over and over. It's stupid, especially since they can't even beat me when they're trying to prove a point and they play Marth to try and beat me with him and I'm Ganondorf or something.

They say he requires no skill to use effectively and that to use him, all you have to do is just spam the C-stick, which, in my personal opinion, is not true at all.

While I admit his grab range is a bit ridiculous, I don't think that's a reason to call him OP.

They have no qualms with Roy, however, which really doesn't make sense to me considering he has the exact same grab range and, from my personal experience, seems to hit much harder than Marth consistently.

Any suggestions to get them to shut up? I'm really getting tired of them complaining about a stupid game. It's ruining the game because they won't stop complaining when I use Marth once in awhile.

In the middle of 1v1s even, they'll just jump off after losing two stocks when I'm still at 4 because they say there's "no point in fighting Marth" even though I beat them 99.9% of the time with the other characters I use.

Celestis

Smash Ace
Clearly your friend has no idea. This is what I usually do when someone does this to me. Take a character they like to use a lot, and be "OP" With him/her too. They never complain about their own character x]

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Roy does not have the same grab range as marth lol

IIrc, Most of the melee tops have better tools than the rest of the pm characters at this point. It's more of just how 3.5 was handled more than anything

Charby

Smash Journeyman
Most of the melee tops have 13 years of meta behind them maybe this is it i don't know

Mean Green

Smash Lord
Most of the melee tops have better tools than the rest of the pm characters at this point. It's more of just how 3.5 was handled more than anything
Um Marth placed as high as 5th (twice) in Brawl tier lists as well. I think people just like to complain at any chance they get, instead of learning how to play.

Foo

Smash Lord
At low levels Marth is gawd. Then again, play Bowser and just Up-B OoS at them all day.
How can you up-b oos against bowser's mortal enemy the purple button? Once he locates that button, it's over for bowser.

Most of the melee tops have 13 years of meta behind them maybe this is it i don't know
Takes a lot longer to figure out how to play against a character than it takes to learn how to play one. I think melee top tiers have the 13 years of meta working against them.

Last edited:

Zarek

Smash Rookie
Just give them the mew2king special and show them how much better you are, works in my group

FrankDaTank

Smash Cadet
What characters are your friends using anyway
The characters they use are Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Lucario, Mario, Pikachu, and Wario.

The guy who uses Pikachu and Wario really just uses smash attacks and the occasional special move. He claims Marth is so cheap that he's gone so far as to start using him and just spam nothing but smash attacks while occasionally grabbing with him.

Last edited:

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
The characters they use are Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Lucario, Mario, Pikachu, and Wario.

The guy who uses Pikachu and Wario really just uses smash attacks and the occasional special move. He claims Marth is so cheap that he's gone so far as to start using him and just spam nothing but smash attacks while occasionally grabbing with him.
Tell them to dash dance and start bating out Marth's moves and keeping him the air. Do you play 1 v 1 or FFA?

TheFadedWarrior

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MortifiedPanda
Clearly your friend has no idea. This is what I usually do when someone does this to me. Take a character they like to use a lot, and be "OP" With him/her too. They never complain about their own character x]
Yeah but then they get annoying. My friend mains Roy and got particularly annoying claiming that my characters were cheap, so I switched to Roy for the first time in over a year and 4-stocked him (he's not even that bad, I guess I just still had the Roy skill in me).

Beat them as their own character and they'll get so salty that you can't even laugh at them anymore: "Dude you suck as Roy," "I am the king of Roy, I'm way better than you."

tried and true

Foo

Smash Lord
Honestly, I think marth is OP (not like, super cheap and gets free wins OP, but like, has twice as many winning matchups as losing matchups and a lot of even matchups OP.) However, it does sound like your friends don't have enough blood in their salt streams and should be reminded of this constantly.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Just download Ridley and then they will stop complaining about Marth XD

Last edited:

FrankDaTank

Smash Cadet
Tell them to dash dance and start bating out Marth's moves and keeping him the air. Do you play 1 v 1 or FFA?
I play both. I rarely use Marth in 4 person matches but when I do, I usually end up being 1 or 2 stocks ahead of everyone else, which results in all of them targeting me.

In 1v1s, half the time I'll get them down to two stocks while I still have four, and they'll just give up and say Marth is OP and there's no point in playing him.

They have something to complain about with every character I use.

With Marth, it's the grab range and tippers. With Roy, it's his forward smash, with Ganondorf, it's his down air off stage. With Ike, it's his smash attacks. With Link, it's the Up B. With Sheik, it's her F-air.

They always say stuff like "You would kill on a forward smash with Roy!" Or "You would kill on an Up B with Link!"

They John so much, it's honestly funny. I just think it's so dumb that they can't accept the fact that they don't know how to play against any character I use (or rather, how I use them) and instead elect to complain in 1v1s or in 4 person matches, create alliances and make it a 2 or 3 on 1 so they have a chance to win, while at the same time claiming they don't care about winning.

Mean Green

Smash Lord
I play both. I rarely use Marth in 4 person matches but when I do, I usually end up being 1 or 2 stocks ahead of everyone else, which results in all of them targeting me.

In 1v1s, half the time I'll get them down to two stocks while I still have four, and they'll just give up and say Marth is OP and there's no point in playing him.

They have something to complain about with every character I use.

With Marth, it's the grab range and tippers. With Roy, it's his forward smash, with Ganondorf, it's his down air off stage. With Ike, it's his smash attacks. With Link, it's the Up B. With Sheik, it's her F-air.

They always say stuff like "You would kill on a forward smash with Roy!" Or "You would kill on an Up B with Link!"

They John so much, it's honestly funny. I just think it's so dumb that they can't accept the fact that they don't know how to play against any character I use (or rather, how I use them) and instead elect to complain in 1v1s or in 4 person matches, create alliances and make it a 2 or 3 on 1 so they have a chance to win, while at the same time claiming they don't care about winning.
If you pick Sheik/MK/Falco in 1v1's, get their damage up to 2 or 300% before you end their stocks, then see what they say.

Broccoli

Smash Cadet
Scrubs will always make excuses as to why they're losing. They don't want to get better, they want you to get worse.

Just laugh at them while you fair wall them out and regrab them into tippers because they don't know what DI is. Seriously, just ignore them.

Also, what everyone else said, tell them to git gud.

Top Bottom