• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fresh new brawler.

Sush1

Smash Apprentice
Hey everyone, i'm a new brawl player - but before that i used to watch videos of SSBB nonstop for about a month or two. I know already a few tricks and abbreviations, however, i still can't pick a character. I'd like somewhat a good range, possibly campish character, a character with a good trademark move, and that eventually looks good. So far i've tried characters (Maybe not a their full potential, but i'll try retesting with them), and the one that interests me the most is Wario, Diddy (but god damn does that banana tossing trick bullshiz looks tough), Mr Game And Watch, Sonic and Luigi and maybe snake, i dont know he looks really complicated to play, mind games and such, moving on though. I've not tried all characters yet, take note.

So, tell me, a good character who has a good trademark usefull ability (Per example, Diddy's Banana playing, Snake's Grenade play, DDD's grabbing play), a character that has long range or a Character that has an excellent Camp play.

Psst, i'm not even gonna touch MK. Don't wanna get the MK disease.

EDIT : Fixed some stupid typos of mine. Sorry it's late and i'm dead tired.

RE-EDIT : I know that are some threads like these, but in mine i ask what characters have some abilities i stated, which is different then ''tell me who i shud play pls''.

Le vieux lapin

Smash Ace
No no no I got this, no other reply is necessary. You should main D3(Dedede). Here is why.

1:He has an amazing "un-banned" cg( chain grab ) on more than half the cast. His throws are easily among the best in the game, and don't require the INSANE effort of the Ice Climbers. He has the strongest back throw in the game as well if you don't feel like cg'ing them off the stage.

2:He has the AMAZING camping game you are looking for. Maybe not as good as say Wario, but with a full set of solid spacing moves like his tilts(I'll get to these in a moment) and a spammable projectile like his waddles, his camp game is great.

3: That range you are looking for? yeah, he has it. The farthest f-tilt in the game, and nearly all his moves have great range. You see how long that hammer is?

4: Trademarks. Many. He is rarely played despite his awesome stats, so he is unique
among the common peasant MK's and diddys. His move set is original and his style
is quite unlike any other character. Look at this awesome set: Inhale, for suicide
kills, waddle throw(blocks enemy projectiles and sometimes a ... GORDO!), the strongest
f-smash in the game, longest f-tilt, AMAZING d-tilt and REALLY AMAZING b-air. i
could go on forever, but I won't.

5: He is heavy but he can FLOAT. Jump several times! He falls the fastest(helping to
stop off-stage chasing) and is the hardest character to vertical KO... period. With good
DI, an average life would end at 180 damage!

6: He is EASY to learn. A very simple and very effective moveset, almost as basic
as mario, but far stronger, faster and more efficient in high level play. No complex
mindgames that take years to master like the Snakes and Diddy, and yes even Wario.
Just pick up the controller and b-air them to defeat!

7: The community. The D3 community(link here:http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=229337) is among the friendliest and most helpful of all the
character threads. You think the Diddy, Snake or MK communities are gonna
help a new player? HA! No chance. But the D3 community( myself being a part of it)
is connected, informative, supportive and helpful. Got a question on his moveset
or matchups? Get it answered by the best D3's in America! We help our new D3s to
be the best they can be.

So join the few and the proud of the heavy, high tier KING DEDEDE!
PM me or any of the people in the D3 threads for more info.

Try gettin this from a snooty MK.:cool:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I agree with the above statement

D3 FTW

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I'd like somewhat a good range,

possibly campish character,

a character with a good trademark move,

and that eventually looks good.

So far i've tried characters (Maybe not a their full potential, but i'll try retesting with them), and the one that interests me the most is Wario, Diddy (but god damn does that banana tossing trick bullshiz looks tough), Mr Game And Watch, Sonic and Luigi and maybe snake

I know my clues have been very vague, but I'd recommend Snake.

Sush1

Smash Apprentice
Wow. Amazing reply, i feel so special having one of these. I will try DDD and visit the community.

But - DDD being noob friendly, doesnt it mean it doesnt have a high skill ceiling like Diddy, snake, or IC?

Also luld at your MK comment :awesome:.

ALSO TROLOLOLOLO ON SNAKE PICS. I will definitively try him, and never have i laughed more in my life. Literally went DAAHAHAHAHHA and its 1AM...
Snake seems really tough to learn, all those DACUS, grenade tricks.

Le vieux lapin

Smash Ace
I understand your concern. Yes, D3 is easy to master. But so is Mk. Where
is he at in the tourney scene? UNSTOPPABLE!

Yes, easy to play, noob friendly, but as your skill develops D3's far more subtle tricks
become more apparent, and the reason for his high-tier status becomes more clear.
If you choose to put in the tech effort, any character can have a high skill ceiling. ( Except Ganondorf lol )
It all depends on your skill and the amount of practice you put in.

Oh yeah, and snake is among the more "trying" characters to play at higher levels.
Unless you can plan several of your opponents moves and your response
before they can reach you, it is very difficult. You can't win high level play with those
broken tilts alone.

Reminder, if while trying D3 you have any questions, just PM me or the community thread.

Sush1

Smash Apprentice
Alright, plus anyways i can always have secondaries. I now tried all characters and made a list of who i'm definitively try harder and you know, get better (Don't worry Ganonderp is not in here)

DDD
Snake
Game and Watch
S(p)amus.

They're all high tier, so it's good, right? Except for samus.

Thanks again and you'll probably see me in the DDD Forums times to times :D.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
D3 is only easy to play at low levels of play. No character is easy to master. Yes, the core aspects of this character are relatively easy to grasp. He is very heavy on spacing, and zoning and he has a relatively high reward factor when his grabs. No joke though, D3 is very hard to use at higher levels of play. He has a lot of limitations and quite a few bad MUs. His moveset is very slow overall and requires you to be very adept at baiting and reading the opponent moreso than a lot of other characters. In top of that, his moveset is limited and using it effectively will be a fine test of your creativity.

Still D3, has a lot of good things going for him. He is extremely hard to kill in many situations, can kill pretty early and is pretty good and spacing and zoning. He's also just really fun as well. Honestly though, I cannot recommend this character if you are looking for "easy mode" and plan on becoming as skilled as you can. Its really trying lol

I like it when new people use D3 but I don't want them to think he's easy mode and they'll be able to get "good" just by using him. He has some big limits that are very difficult for most people to overcome (hence why everyone left D3 and went top tier)

If you're interested I'll help you with the D3. I am the Den Mother of the D3 boards ;)

:dedede:

Sush1

Smash Apprentice
Thanks, i'll be sure to PM you if i have any questions. I'll also hang out by the DDD Social thread if that's the place to talk and discuss.

mentholcase

Smash Cadet
KD3 is not my best but I'd say he's def in my top 15

Maybe 10, but def no lower than 15

I remember the first month of having this game, a friend was using KD3, I forgot what my other friend was using, but when my KD3 friend starting charging his Down B, my other friend reacted like
"Holy ****, what the hell is that?! Well, I'm not tryina find out, I'm getting away from you"​

IhaveSonar

Smash Journeyman
Olimar would be good. He has fantastic spacing/camping abilities, an amazing upsmash, and several moves which you could consider trademarks.

link2702

Smash Champion
snake covers everythibg you asked for

just be warned about snake; if your opponent gets you in the air, you are in possibly your worst position imaginable with snake, snake doesn't have an aerial game.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Snake was already suggested.
So, here are the characters similar to him:
Wolf
Diddy
C. Falcon

If you like some double combos, try ice climbers.

Wave-Guiding Hero

Smash Apprentice
For a different kind of character I'd suggest Lucario. He fits all of your critera; signature move is Aura Sphere, which is easily one of the best and most versatile projectiles in the history of ever and gives him lots of options; he has a very good midrange game due to his disjointed hitboxes, and his long range game is effective as well thanks to Aura Sphere; he can camp like nobody's business thanks to his amazing aerials and Aura Sphere (I wasn't lying when I said it was versatile); and a skilled, creative Lucario is really fun to watch.

The Lucario community is friendlier and more laid-back than just about any other character's I can mention and loves to help new players, so if you decide to try him out don't feel like you're on your own.

He's also a lot of fun to play! Switching between relentless, combotacular offense and patient, campy defense on the drop of a hat never gets old, and repeatedly chasing people off the stage with dair and fair is one of the most fun things to do in the game. Give him a try!

Top Bottom