• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fresh Meat

White Diesel

Smash Rookie
Hi my name is Peter, and I'm brand spankin' new to this competitive scene. I just had a few questions for anyone willing to take some time to answer them.
1. I'm decent at melee, do any of the skills I've acquired for melee carry over very well?
2. Any Falcon tips at all.
3. are there any good forums, videos, or any other resource you could recommend me to?
4. Is the community as friendly and laid back as the melee community?
Thanks to anyone who reads this.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
1. I mean, there are some techniques that you will be accustomed to doing that will carry over, such a Z-Canceling which is incredibly similar to Melee's L-Canceling, but as a player of both games, I strongly encourage you to look at them completely different. The more comparing you do the two games, the harder you're going to make it on yourself imo.
2. Watch videos, people like Boom and Stranded. Uair combos into itself a lot, and forward throw or up smash sets yourself up for uairs pretty easily. End with up b or dair if they're off stage and you have an extra jump to catch them with it. Falcon has a lot of moves that can work well with each other, but I think experience is the best way to determine how these moves flow into each other. Start simple, expand from there. (Edit: Upsmash pokes through Dreamland's side platforms, which can be very useful)
3. There's some decent resources here around the boards, but they aren't as active as they used to be. I find that you have to ask specific individuals for advice instead of finding resources, but that's just my personal experience on the matter. I say search the boards and if you can't find anything, ask it in the general questions thread or ask someone personally.
4. The community is quite sporadic, as there are people here on the boards, on the /r/smashbros and /r/ssb64 subreddits, on the multiple Facebook groups, on multiple Skype groups, the main IRC, etc. There isn't one solid hub that everyone has agreed on. In addition to that, there's somewhat of a split between online exclusive players and console exclusive players, with there being some people that juggle both. I wouldn't say the Melee community is necessarily laid back and friendly, but I won't say they're awful either. Each region has their own set of people, and it can vary from place to place. I've met some awful people in Melee and some awesome people as well. The same can be said about this game, but the important thing is to ignore any drama and just focus on the game.

Good luck and welcome to the community!

Last edited:

White Diesel

Smash Rookie
1. I mean, there are some techniques that you will be accustomed to doing that will carry over, such a Z-Canceling which is incredibly similar to Melee's L-Canceling, but as a player of both games, I strongly encourage you to look at them completely different. The more comparing you do the two games, the harder you're going to make it on yourself imo.
2. Watch videos, people like Boom and Stranded. Uair combos into itself a lot, and forward throw or up smash sets yourself up for uairs pretty easily. End with up b or dair if they're off stage and you have an extra jump to catch them with it. Falcon has a lot of moves that can work well with each other, but I think experience is the best way to determine how these moves flow into each other. Start simple, expand from there. (Edit: Upsmash pokes through Dreamland's side platforms, which can be very useful)
3. There's some decent resources here around the boards, but they aren't as active as they used to be. I find that you have to ask specific individuals for advice instead of finding resources, but that's just my personal experience on the matter. I say search the boards and if you can't find anything, ask it in the general questions thread or ask someone personally.
4. The community is quite sporadic, as there are people here on the boards, on the /r/smashbros and /r/ssb64 subreddits, on the multiple Facebook groups, on multiple Skype groups, the main IRC, etc. There isn't one solid hub that everyone has agreed on. In addition to that, there's somewhat of a split between online exclusive players and console exclusive players, with there being some people that juggle both. I wouldn't say the Melee community is necessarily laid back and friendly, but I won't say they're awful either. Each region has their own set of people, and it can vary from place to place. I've met some awful people in Melee and some awesome people as well. The same can be said about this game, but the important thing is to ignore any drama and just focus on the game.

Good luck and welcome to the community!
Thanks a lot for the reply man! Your answers are super helpful. If you could answer one more question, what are the fundamentals of this game I should be learning?

Last edited:

Zantetsu

Smash Master
This may sound obvious, but spacing is incredibly important, as a good player can rack up a ton of damage or an entire stock off of a single hit when you're at 0%, so it's important to focus on not getting hit. I'd say the consequence of getting hit in this game is higher than any other smash game. I feel much more vulnerable when I get hit in 64 than I do in Melee. Make sure to learn up on every advance tech you can find too, there are things in here that work much differently than Melee, and some things that just don't exist in Melee or any other game either. No spot dodges, so if you're dropping through a platform, make sure it's a shield drop since you have no risk of spot dodging. Pivots are much better in this game than any other smash game as well, they're incredibly fun and useful, especially as Falcon.

So yeah, really just make sure you learn all the differences you can to avoid any confusion you may carry over from Melee, and remember to treat it as it's own game.

Last edited:

White Diesel

Smash Rookie
This may sound obvious, but spacing is incredibly important, as a good player can rack up a ton of damage or an entire stock off of a single hit when you're at 0%, so it's important to focus on not getting hit. I'd say the consequence of getting hit in this game is higher than any other smash game. I feel much more vulnerable when I get hit in 64 than I do in Melee. Make sure to learn up on every advance tech you can find too, there are things in here that work much differently than Melee, and some things that just don't exist in Melee or any other game either. No spot dodges, so if you're dropping through a platform, make sure it's a shield drop since you have no risk of spot dodging. Pivots are much better in this game than any other smash game as well, they're incredibly fun and useful, especially as Falcon.

So yeah, really just make sure you learn all the differences you can to avoid any confusion you may carry over from Melee, and remember to treat it as it's own game.
Awesome, Thanks again man!

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
Thanks a lot for the reply man! Your answers are super helpful. If you could answer one more question, what are the fundamentals of this game I should be learning?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI6h7P2xR2A
start with this video and continue watching from there. This is the best intro guide to ssb imo. It starts really simple (yet extremely important) and each successive tutorial video covers more advanced techs

Annex

Smash Ace
Also, since youre in SD you should try and make it out to Minneapolis sometime. We do tournies every month and have some of the top players in the region. The Midwest Smash 64 Community facebook group would be a good way to keep in the loop about all the goings-on

Btw if you like the GC controller better you can pick up a GC to N64 adapter for very few dollars

White Diesel

Smash Rookie
Also, since youre in SD you should try and make it out to Minneapolis sometime. We do tournies every month and have some of the top players in the region. The Midwest Smash 64 Community facebook group would be a good way to keep in the loop about all the goings-on

Btw if you like the GC controller better you can pick up a GC to N64 adapter for very few dollars
Thanks man, I come to Minnesota a couple times a year to visit family so I will definitely have to come out to a tourney and get yammed on. Would you mind linking me to the Facebook page?

Oh and the adapter sounds pretty sweet but I think using the 64 controller will help me separate 64 from melee.

Top Bottom