• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Freeze Frame: Ice Climbers Video Discussion

Foxy K

Smash Journeyman
NNID
foxy_k
Lame thread title, yeah! There aren't very many of us IC mains, so we need to help each other as much as possible. Post videos of yourself, get tips (hopefully) and let's get some examples of both what to do and what not to do. I'll start, with what not to do, can any give me some feedback on this train wreck?

It wasn't my best play, and towards the end/second half of the second game, I started getting pretty flustered and screwing up my recovery and going for dumb grabs every two seconds, but I'm sure there's something to be learned from the reset of it. Halp?

Iceman

Smash Apprentice
Lame thread title, yeah! There aren't very many of us IC mains, so we need to help each other as much as possible. Post videos of yourself, get tips (hopefully) and let's get some examples of both what to do and what not to do. I'll start, with what not to do, can any give me some feedback on this train wreck?

It wasn't my best play, and towards the end/second half of the second game, I started getting pretty flustered and screwing up my recovery and going for dumb grabs every two seconds, but I'm sure there's something to be learned from the reset of it. Halp?
Well the only change in the matchup from Melee is that Falcon Kick is a viable threat if you don't see it coming. My main training partner is a Falcon main. You want to use more uptilts and up-airs to stop his aerial approaches. Captain Falcon has no projectile so he has to come to you eventually. If you can read when he will do an aerial then uptilt will stop him in the air and that will lead to a grab. Once the Falcon learns to respect your uptilt then he will try to bait it out with empty hops. Once that happens you can add in up-airs to punish empty hops. Also don't be too far away from Falcon. If you give him room then it will be easier for him to mix-up his aerial approach.

Foxy K

Smash Journeyman
NNID
foxy_k
Well the only change in the matchup from Melee is that Falcon Kick is a viable threat if you don't see it coming. My main training partner is a Falcon main. You want to use more uptilts and up-airs to stop his aerial approaches. Captain Falcon has no projectile so he has to come to you eventually. If you can read when he will do an aerial then uptilt will stop him in the air and that will lead to a grab. Once the Falcon learns to respect your uptilt then he will try to bait it out with empty hops. Once that happens you can add in up-airs to punish empty hops. Also don't be too far away from Falcon. If you give him room then it will be easier for him to mix-up his aerial approach.
Thanks for the tips! Did you notice any bad habits or stupid stuff I should stop doing?

Iceman

Smash Apprentice
Ummmmm Idk. Just avoid most of the general stuff. Don't wavedash forward too much unless you are trying to uptilt out of it. Don't roll too much. The Falcon can read it and knee you. Also don't jump too much. They are laggy in the air and not all of their aerials are fast. So you can get a knee for jumping at the wrong time.

Mendelsin

Smash Cadet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBsUjLX4h90&list=UUuBhMqosgW-ECZjJZ9pv0Dg
A game from the most recent Infinity and Beyond. I wasn't feeling that well this tournament, but everyone says I did alright so I'll try to be better next time. Please give me some criticism on the Roy matchup.
I think you did pretty good. I'm a bit new but I think I can give a few tips. More desycnhed blizzards could stop some approaches and maybe open up some follow ups especially since Roy is very aggressive and they usally approach alot. Roy is also one of the characters that are a bit easier to handoff. Other than that I think you did alright. I've played Shokio on netplay and he's no slouch so you did good!

Last edited:

RideTheLine

Smash Cadet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBsUjLX4h90&list=UUuBhMqosgW-ECZjJZ9pv0Dg
A game from the most recent Infinity and Beyond. I wasn't feeling that well this tournament, but everyone says I did alright so I'll try to be better next time. Please give me some criticism on the Roy matchup.
A recent victory over Ruin has brought me some insight into the Roy match-up.

I was considering him the "anti-Zelda" in terms of positioning. Shameless projectile spam from afar racks up percent well, and he has trouble hitting you when you're right on top of him. I stayed in the Sopo mindset the whole game, and focused on doing anything possible to keep myself safe, from running away to spamming ice blocks. Roy has little to do against a good Blizzard, so as long as you time it to where he can't just jump over you, you're safe. Being above Roy is terrible, and I found the best thing to do is fall away and Blizzard when he reaches you. The ground game should be taken slowly, as one slip and he will kill you. Close-combat works well in bursts, as he has trouble getting out a smash when you're in his face, and he will also have trouble with sweetspotting his ftilt.

Shokio is hard, he once 4-stocked my ICs.

Mendelsin

Smash Cadet
A recent victory over Ruin has brought me some insight into the Roy match-up.

I was considering him the "anti-Zelda" in terms of positioning. Shameless projectile spam from afar racks up percent well, and he has trouble hitting you when you're right on top of him. I stayed in the Sopo mindset the whole game, and focused on doing anything possible to keep myself safe, from running away to spamming ice blocks. Roy has little to do against a good Blizzard, so as long as you time it to where he can't just jump over you, you're safe. Being above Roy is terrible, and I found the best thing to do is fall away and Blizzard when he reaches you. The ground game should be taken slowly, as one slip and he will kill you. Close-combat works well in bursts, as he has trouble getting out a smash when you're in his face, and he will also have trouble with sweetspotting his ftilt.

Shokio is hard, he once 4-stocked my ICs.
Shokio is a cruel man ;~;. But yeah, you're advice is really sound. Hopefully I can use some of it too.

Mendelsin

Smash Cadet
Well hopefully there's still people that can give feedback because my recent match from Waffru's ranked Dolphin Netplay stream has been uploaded https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcmsgBEqCIk

Definitely not my best outing, missed alot of handoffs and went for pointless grabs but I think I did alright. Any tips on general things I should avoid doing? And any tips on the lucario matchup?

RideTheLine

Smash Cadet
Well hopefully there's still people that can give feedback because my recent match from Waffru's ranked Dolphin Netplay stream has been uploaded https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcmsgBEqCIk

Definitely not my best outing, missed alot of handoffs and went for pointless grabs but I think I did alright. Any tips on general things I should avoid doing? And any tips on the lucario matchup?
Lucario is really good at killing Nana. This one wasn't doing it much, but that aerial dunk thing will remove her from play nearly instantly. You were doing a solid job of keeping her alive.

He's really easily edgeguarded with Blizzard. Just spam it over the ledge if he's low, it works too well for how dumb it is.

A general thing, you missed a few dthrow opportunities when waiting for Nana to catch up. If the opponent isn't at high percent, and she's not synched up, just go for a dthrow and get a few moves off.

Mendelsin

Smash Cadet
Lucario is really good at killing Nana. This one wasn't doing it much, but that aerial dunk thing will remove her from play nearly instantly. You were doing a solid job of keeping her alive.

He's really easily edgeguarded with Blizzard. Just spam it over the ledge if he's low, it works too well for how dumb it is.

A general thing, you missed a few dthrow opportunities when waiting for Nana to catch up. If the opponent isn't at high percent, and she's not synched up, just go for a dthrow and get a few moves off.
Will do! thanks

Top Bottom