• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Freedom Planet Coming to Wii U

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
http://freedomplanet.galaxytrail.com/

One of my favourite indie games from Steam/PC, and one of my favourite games in general, is surprisingly getting a Wii U release! So I thought I'd make a topic about it here, for fans of the game or people who might be interested in it. This game is basically the Shovel Knight of the 16-bit era.

Some info from the Steam version in case you don't know what it is:

Freedom Planet is a combat-based platform adventure that pits a spunky dragon girl and her friends against an alien attack force. There's trouble around every turn, from insects to giant robots to sheer explosive destruction, but you'll have a variety of special fighting abilities to blast your way through each stage.

As Lilac, you can use Dragon powers to whip enemies with your hair, spin like a cyclone, or fly through the air at high speed like a comet.
As Carol, you can bust through foes with a flurry of punches and kicks or summon motorcycles that let you ride up walls and ceilings.

Do you have what it takes save Avalice? Try the demo and see for yourself!

• Dash across the celestial world of Avalice with boosts, bikes and other high-speed gimmicks to achieve the fastest time
  • Explore at your own pace to find hidden paths and treasures and collect as many crystals as possible
  • Help Lilac and friends save their world from war in an engaging Adventure mode with fully voiced cutscenes
  • Zoom through the stages without interruption or dialog with Classic mode
  • Battle tons of quirky boss enemies including giant robots, towering alien creatures and aggressive rivals
  • Discover five elemental shields that reflect specific attacks and provide cool benefits
  • Unlock special bonuses, including mini-games, achievements, artwork and music

**Future content is planned! We'll be continuously adding new features, and any future DLC we include will be free of charge.**

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
If anyone's on the fence about it, let me just say that one of the bosses (or pre-boss bosses, I guess) is taking on 99 motorbike-riding ninjas in a big stadium, complete with audience. It's exactly as awesome as it sounds.

There're also (apparently?) going to be more playable characters added sometime down the line, including Torque (the guy in @ ChikoLad ChikoLad 's avatar) who has some kind of ranged attack and ammo mechanic.

He's not joking when he says it's a 16-bit Shovel Knight, either. The whole game really is a love letter to the old Genesis Sonic games.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Although the game DID literally start out as a Sonic fan-game, it'd be doing it a disservice to say it's the only inspiration. Other games it takes noticeable inspiration from include Mega Man X, Rocket Knight Adventures, Yoshi's Island, and Gunstar Heroes.

There are currently three playable characters - Sash Lilac (the Water Dragon), Carol Tea (the Wildcat), and Milla Basset (the Hound). Generally just referred to as Lilac, Carol, and Milla in-game.

Lilac and Carol are currently the only characters that have their own Adventure Mode, but Milla can be unlocked for Classic Mode and Time Attack already. Later DLC is known to add Milla's Adventure Mode, as well as Spade and Torque as brand new characters (they already feature in Lilac and Carol's Adventure Mode runs, but they will be given their own stories in Adventure Mode, as well as made playable in Classic and Time Attack). Torque was actually playable at PAX East, but they aren't allowing video footage of him out yet (though you can catch brief glimpses of him in interviews).

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
Do we know if the DLC will be free or paid? I could see paid, since voice acting (which seems to be one of the big reasons Torque hasn't happened yet) is a ton of money and work.

Also very glad to hear that Milla's getting a proper story mode! And if you don't mind me asking, where is the Yoshi's Island inspiration coming from? I can't think of anything that immediately sticks out.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Do we know if the DLC will be free or paid? I could see paid, since voice acting (which seems to be one of the big reasons Torque hasn't happened yet) is a ton of money and work.

Also very glad to hear that Milla's getting a proper story mode! And if you don't mind me asking, where is the Yoshi's Island inspiration coming from? I can't think of anything that immediately sticks out.
The DLC will be free. In fact, the Kickstarter only ever existed for things like voice acting and DLC. Strife had the game more or less complete before he put up the Kickstarter, he just wanted to make additions and improvements.

Certain levels have a Yoshi's Island feel to them in how they are designed (Aqua Tunnel, the second half of Pangu Lagoon, among others), and Milla has a flutter jump that functions a lot like Yoshi's.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
First time I heard this news, I was excited about it. Freedom Planet's easily one of my favorite games, so seeing it coming out for the Wii U is great. Definitely will be downloading this whenever it comes out despite owning it on Steam already (I need more games for my Wii U anyway).

Top Bottom