• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

freaking short hop

undeadpenguin

Smash Rookie
does sheik even have a short hop? it seems impossible. i can SHFFL with falco great, but i cant even short hop with sheik. or is it just that sheik has a higher minimal jump?

ResumeDPosition

Smash Journeyman
sheik does have a shorthop, but it requires that you release X 2(?) frames(1/30 of a second) after it has been pressed. And after that, sheik's isn't as short as other character's hops, so you might not notice the differences between her full jump and short hop until you get used to easily short hopping with her

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Sheik has a rather high short hop relative to most other characters, though it is imperative to know in order to SHFFL with her.

She also has one of the more difficult short hops due to very fast jumping speed.

Kenpachi

Smash Apprentice
I believe that you are given 4 frames (2/30 of a second) to preform the short hop, but i could be wrong. either way, thats not very long. I find it easiest to have a looser grip on the controller with your right hand when short hopping. then when you hit the X or Y button, the controller will move away from your finger as your finger moves away from the controller (its physics... momentum and stuff). Anyways, using this method i've racked up 50+ short hops in a row with sheik.

also, as good practice, you can go to battlefield and try short hopping under the lower two platforms. if you go through and land on the platform, you failed, and if you stay under you succeed.

Hope this helps!

~Kenpachi

undeadpenguin

Smash Rookie
thanks guys. right after i posted this topic i tried to do it under platforms and i realized what it is. it will be tough to SHFFL with her consistantly. but at least im getting wavedashing to be second nature. ,my sheik was pretty wily before, but now its a whole new story lol. cant wait for my local tourny.

keikashi12

Smash Cadet
NNID
keikashi12
I disagree sheik is a little more technical than that. Sheik can be easily beaten unless you know what you're doing truth be told. I'm still training my sheik but I'm thinking about switching controllers cause this wiichuck combination is really hindering me from performing at my greatest

The Lemon

Smash Cadet
Just to give you the frame data on why it's hard (some people find this useful), Sheik has a 4 frame jump, while Falco has a 6 frame jump, thus, why Falco's SH feels so much easier than Sheik's. For Sheik, you have to let go of the jump button by the 3rd frame of pressing jump while for Falco, you let go by frame 5.

And just as bonus information on frame data:
-4 frames is the fastest jump speed in the game. Fox also has this
-Characters with 5 frame jumps include Marth and Falcon
-Characters with 6 frame jumps include Peach and Puff
-Ganon has a 7 frame jump and bowser has a 9 frame jump (SLOWWWWWW)

dude it's raining

Smash Journeyman
I disagree sheik is a little more technical than that. Sheik can be easily beaten unless you know what you're doing truth be told. I'm still training my sheik but I'm thinking about switching controllers cause this wiichuck combination is really hindering me from performing at my greatest
That's quite a necropost. There's not really a point posting a reply to something from 8 years ago, especially one that starts with 'I disagree'. These last couple of posts really ought to have been posted here. Necroposting takes up unnecessary space at the top of the thread list, pushing more relevant threads onto later pages.
Also, you seem to not be aware that this is the melee boards? Older game before even the wii, let alone wiichuck. Of course, you may be referring to Project M. But it is generally agreed that at low/mid levels of play, Sheik's combos are stupidly simple.

EDIT: @ keikashi12 keikashi12 I hope my calling you out doesn't discourage you from posting outside of the welcome forums. Normally, minor necroposts aren't too much of a problem, especially if you have something meaningful to add to the conservation. You did have something to add, except that the necropost was so insanely large, you can't expect any of the original posters to still be following the conversation.
Enjoy

Last edited:

Jmook11

Smash Apprentice
In my opinion i think that short hopping is a complete mental ability. For example, when i do a SHFFL FAir, i think of performing the FAir, instead of the actual short hop. It seems like not thinking about doing it results in easier short hops. But that may be just me...

Top Bottom