• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Frame traps.

Raethien

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Raethien
3DS FC
4012-4393-7821
I cant find anything on Falcons frame traps, so if maybe someone could send me a link to something, or give some tips. That would be great.

HoodedAltair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HoodedAltair
3DS FC
4442-0574-6679
This is something we haven't really looked into too far. Anything we do have had just come naturally.

Dthrow FH Uair (then if they air dodge), bair is a real frame trap...same with dthrow fair (then if they air dodge), Uair which combos to knee

FH Nair falling Uair also ACs so a real frame trap

Nate22Hill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nate22Hill
this is true as ive seen Fatality is known for going for a knee and then if they air dodges he hits him with a knee

Raethien

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Raethien
3DS FC
4012-4393-7821
This is something we haven't really looked into too far. Anything we do have had just come naturally.

Dthrow FH Uair (then if they air dodge), bair is a real frame trap...same with dthrow fair (then if they air dodge), Uair which combos to knee

What is FH?

Nate22Hill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nate22Hill
im pretty sure at low percents, if you down throw wait for them to airdodge and then jab(gentlemen) which could lead into a jab, it may be a frame trap. Even if its not a frame trap its still pretty effective.

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
im pretty sure at low percents, if you down throw wait for them to airdodge and then jab(gentlemen) which could lead into a jab, it may be a frame trap. Even if its not a frame trap its still pretty effective.
That isn't a frame trap. It works well nonetheless.

Roostertone

Smash Rookie
I've found that ftilts have a surprising amount of shield knockback. If your opponent blocks and then stays in shield, you can go for a dashgrab. Or, if they hastily lower shield and try to punish, you can catch them with a dash attack instead.

goose32

Smash Cadet
I don't think people are being very clear on what a frame trap is. From my understanding, it's when you give your opponent an opening where they think you're vulnerable, then you attack them as they approach/react. Baiting out air dodges doesn't truly fit this description, though it's still very useful.

One that I use: Short hop, fast fall nair, but land before the second kick comes out (this leaves hardly any landing lag). Immediately begin jabbing on the ground; most opponents will drop their shields and go for a grab because they think you have more landing lag, but your jab will connect quicker.

Jrzfine

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jrzfinest
3DS FC
1762-3319-6557
The frame trap that Fatality uses is Dthrow > FH Fair (Opponent airdodges) > Falling Uair > Fair. The opponent can escape it by falling towards the Falcon but if they dont its a free knee.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre

Fair has too much ending lag and landing lag to have frame trap potential unless the opponent lands during his airdodge but then in this case even Dair can be a frame trap.

Jrzfine

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jrzfinest
3DS FC
1762-3319-6557
Fair has too much ending lag and landing lag to have frame trap potential unless the opponent lands during his airdodge but then in this case even Dair can be a frame trap.
At around 50-60% the airdodge will last until they land if they are a fastfaller. The other day Hooded completely wrecked me using it, so I can confirm that it works.

Jrzfine

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jrzfinest
3DS FC
1762-3319-6557
What does the percent matter for?
Well if the opponents percent is too low your knee wont be a full hop, and thus wont lead into a frametrap uair. The percentage range I mentioned is the time where your knee will be a fullhop, the airdodge wont end until they hit the ground, and the resulting uair knee will kill.

Last edited:

LuLLo

Smash Ace
When you are juggling, you can try to hit with bair. If they airdodge, it's a free uair. Don't know if it's a true 100% frametrap, but it works for me everytime.

Top Bottom