• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Frame Data talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Okay, how do you exactly want to discuss frames? Why don't you just ask me questions since chances are, I know the answer to it if it has to do with frame data. The only thing I probably can't answer is what frame you can F-tilt slide on (or the frame you do Sliding Up-smashes), and we don't have complete advantage on hit data.

Random stuff: Mario's Jab is -6 between hits of the Jab combo, so the average shieldgrab timed perfectly can in fact shieldgrab it. 7 frame or slower shieldgrabs (Ike, Ganon, Donkey Kong, Bowser, Zelda, tethers) cannot shieldgrab between hits of Mario's Jab.

F-tilt ends one frame earlier than the spotdodge, so if the opponent spotdodges right as you F-tilt, you're at a frame advantage.

Jab2 on Mario's Jab sequence sweetspotted gets a 5 frame advantage on another Mario, meaning that 2Jabs -> Dsmash works on the same characters that Luigi can D-smash. Sweetspotting both Jab1 and 2 on characters results in D-smash being unblockable against everyone except Sheik, Falcon, Wolf, Fox, Falco.

Jab U-tilt, D-tilt, and F-tilt come out the same frame as D-smash, thus the same characters are susceptible to being comboed by those moves except for U-tilt, which has less range. Jab U-tilt is only good against Pit and Samus, who have hitstun animations that lean forward.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I've been hearing some talk that auto-canceled aerials can go into true combos. What I personally want to know is if there is something we're not looking at in terms of true combos.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
It depends on percent, but Mario's N-air, B-air, and U-air do true combo into all of his ground moves when you space them correctly. If you do it perfectly, you can actually do aerial -> reverse F-smash for like 30%.

D-air -> U-air at extremely low percents can be airdodged, but the position it puts your opponent is so tight that they probably will get hit by a second U-air anyway.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I really really really need listed Damage and IASA frames for each attack, but mainly the damage. I'd get it myself but my Wii is a piece of ****.

Famous

Smash Champion
Or we can all emulate Boss...

<3

[/trolling mario boards]
Never emulate, be original...Focus on the pros and cons rather than taking somebodys whole way of playing...

I have no clue about frame data...I just use what I think beats other moves off of feel...

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
I don't care about frames, I just play the game.

That's all for my discussion on frames.

EDIT:

Frame speed move tier list

S-tier = Fair
A-tier = Jab, Ftilt, Uair, Dsmash
B-tier = Everything else
WDF tier = Dtilt
Sounds about right.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
Who cares about frames? It's all bout what works and brings you win. It's not like Brawl Mario is like Melee Fox. I think the only thing I'd want to put time into to master is the ftilt -> spot dodge slide thingy... I found out it also works with utilt :]

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
I believe I contributed with my frame tier list. Not my fault if you have differing views about which moves are faster than others.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I'm only going to say this once and only once.

Shut the fuck up.

I made this thread, particularly, to enhance my metagame thread to give a more clear analysis on what works and what doesn't. I am trying to give factual information and push forward in Mario's metagame. The fact that discoveries can be made out of frame data is what makes this so important.

Bottomline: I (and many others regarding this) am doing a service here. I am not doing this for fun (who wants to sit here and type 10 pages of text talking about a game?), I am trying to inform the community, particularly this one, to show how to enhance Mario's metagame. If you are going to do nothing but spit on it then get the hell out of this thread and don't bother posting.

The fact that my target audience are the very people dissing this right now, is what aggravates me so much. I don't care if you don't like frame data. Leave it to the people who wants to go to the technical side of Brawl and enhance the game there, and wait to reap what we find from there. Don't hinder progress with a bunch of crap.

Famous

Smash Champion
Woah...what? **** wasn't censored o.o

Hero, your helping out the boards so I have no problem with it...It would explain why certain moves don't work in "what if" situations...

The Master of Mario

Smash Journeyman
The frame data for lingering disjointed hitboxes of Fireballs and Fludd as well as Multi-hit attacks like D-air could use some discussion. As well as the frames of hitstun or hitduration of attacks.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Most Mario players don't use U-tilt enough correctly.

U-tilt is an invaluable move that will really determine whether or not you know how your character works. The hard part about this move is the fact that the conventional horizontal spacing strategies do not help you land this move, but the amazing part about this move is the strategies and situations that do let you land this move. Not to mention the decent reward.

The thing that most Mario mains forget is that U-tilt is a lingering hitbox. If I am correct, and if it is like what it was in Melee, it lingers for about 7 frames. This is amazingly reliable for punishing airdodges on reaction, and the sick priority of this move keeps getting overlooked for the purposes of anti-airing. It was of course easier to do in Melee where WDing and a slightly bigger horizontal reach made U-tilt even better, but you really can't ignore U-tilt for how fast it comes out and how long it lingers with fairly high priority.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Woah...what? **** wasn't censored o.o
Censor Dodge.

Hero, your helping out the boards so I have no problem with it...
That's all I require. If I was able to lay out the data myself I would, but I don't have the equipment and frankly I just don't have the cash to blow.

The frame data for lingering disjointed hitboxes of Fireballs and Fludd as well as Multi-hit attacks like D-air could use some discussion. As well as the frames of hitstun or hitduration of attacks.
Actually, FLUDD's frame data would be nice, particularly to analyze FIHL.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
I said I personally don't care bout frame data, but I also contributed by saying utilt -> spot dodge works just like ftilt -> spot dodge.. I really find potential in this

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
I'm only going to say this once, and only once.

Stop getting butt hurt, kthx :]

But yea Calebyte , if you ftilt/utilt, then spot dodge at the end of it, you slide back a bit. Only works for Mario from what I know.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Interesting, if anything it allows you to get a poke in with Ftilt, and if something doesn't go your way you can retreat immediately afterwards...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom