• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Frame and Execution questions

HateOnMe

Smash Rookie
So I'll start right off the bat by stating that I am a terrible Falco player and a few answers to these questions will make the difference between me being very very terrible and me being only very terrible:). I also apologize in advaced if the answer to these questions are burried somewhere in an old thread (I have surfed the interwebz a lot and have not found the answers im looking for)

Question 1. SHFFL D-air
About a few years ago, I made a post on these forms asking about whether it was necessary to fast fall a short hop d-air with Falco. Needless to say, everyone told me yes and now after picking this game back up (because of project M) im sitting here trying to so this. Even though im starting to get the technique down, im still having some trouble.

Part 1. after the short hop and immediately dair (I believe this is called rising dair) is there a difference between pressing down + R (at the same time) and Down then R to fast fall L cancel? if there isn't, I would suggest telling others to press down+R at the same time because this makes this technique much easier (unless this is how your suppose to do it).

Answer: ThatGuy- Whether you press R+Down at the same time, or R a little after, doesn't matter. The whole point is to press down at the apex of your jump, and R at the right time to cancel the lag. It's better to just understand the timing of the R-Cancel beforehand as it will benefit for more awkward timing cancels (such as adjusting to hitlag vs whiff timings, or SHFFL off a platform, or ledgehops, etc).

Part 2. Since i don't have 2 controllers, in training mode im forced to SHFFL dair with the the control stick and not the c-stick. Are there any advantages/ disadvantages I should know of.

Answer: ThatGuy- Personally, I couldn't live without using the C-stick, but some others play without it, so it's a matter of personal taste. That being said, you could just go into VS mode, and put on a level 1 computer; they don't really do much and offer ample opportunity to practice your techniques. Alternatively, you can do some of the tricks like solo VS mode glitch, which Bones elaborated here: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost....16&postcount=2

Part 3. Should I be fast falling before or after my dair (or any air for that matter) has hit the enemy?

Answer: ThatGuy- You should fastfall at the apex of your jump, regardless of whether you hit your enemy or not. However, hitting your enemy/enemy's shield induces hitlag, which means your character sort of freezes for a couple frames, so you need to take that into account for your timings. I believe I read that fastfall inputs are buffered during the last few frames of hitlag (English translation: buttons pressed around the end of the hitlag will still go through) so it shouldn't be too big a deal most of the time.
FrootLoop- I don't think you can fastfall before the aerial, since you'll land before the move comes out, but you can fastfall during the move itself. So make sure to fastfall asap once you stop moving up regardless of when you did your move.

Question 2. Frame data/ training mode
I know some stuff about frames in other games but this game seems to be a little different.

Part 1. Is the training mode combo counter even relevant? The reason I ask this is because the combo counter only records a combo if I hit the enemy again while they are in hit stun or 1 frame during non hit stun. I have noticed that after shffl dair into shine, sometimes the counter would go up to 2 consecutive hits and other times it wont. For the most part, it goes up easier the higher the percentage but at 0% it is very difficult to make that counter go to 2 consecutive hits.

Answer: ThatGuy- mode is deceiving at times, although probably not for the reasons you're thinking. Unless you're linking a grab, tech chase, or reset in your combo, the counter shouldn't reset during consecutive hits, so yeah, what you're doing is not a combo, due to missed timing or what not. Still, I wouldn't rely on the training mode counter: Computer players don't DI in training mode, and even the slightest shifts in DI may totally change how you continue the combo. Smash is a game that takes a lot of 'feeling out' to determine what the best move to use in X situation is.

Part 2. If I hit the enemy and they are then in the "non hit stun" frame, does this mean they are now able to block/ escape my next hit? (i don't have 2 controllers so i cant find out for myself) or are they now in some sort of recovery frame? Or is hit stun the recovery frames itself (I get confused sometimes).

Answer: ThatGuy- There is no 'recovery frame' stuff (get hit by a computer and see for yourself). When you get hit, you are put into hitstun. If the hit was strong enough/recipient was at a high enough percentage, upon leaving hitstun, you will enter a tumble state, where you may not airdodge. You may use any move at your charcter's disposal, or jump, or wiggle the joystick to get out of tumble state and airdodge. If, however, you're going to hit the ground before you leave hitstun (or are tumbling to it purposely), you can tech.

Suggestion: Naughty Pixel- Addressing 1.2, you can utilize the masterhand glitch to enter a timed versus mode and practice tech skill that way. I used to go to final D with starmen turned on and I would shffl aerials into the boxes that would spawn. The invincibility of the starmen prevent exploding boxes from killing you.

Once a question is answered, Ill simply put it under the question itself so that others can see and respond differently if they'd like.

ThatGuy

Smash Master
So I'll start right off the bat by stating that I am a terrible Falco player and a few answers to these questions will make the difference between me being very very terrible and me being only very terrible:). I also apologize in advaced if the answer to these questions are burried somewhere in an old thread (I have surfed the interwebz a lot and have not found the answers im looking for)

Question 1. SHFFL D-air
About a few years ago, I made a post on these forms asking about whether it was necessary to fast fall a short hop d-air with Falco. Needless to say, everyone told me yes and now after picking this game back up (because of project M) im sitting here trying to so this. Even though im starting to get the technique down, im still having some trouble.

Part 1. after the short hop and immediately dair (I believe this is called rising dair) is there a difference between pressing down + R (at the same time) and Down then R to fast fall L cancel? if there isn't, I would suggest telling others to press down+R at the same time because this makes this technique much easier (unless this is how your suppose to do it).

Part 2. Since i don't have 2 controllers, in training mode im forced to SHFFL dair with the the control stick and not the c-stick. Are there any advantages/ disadvantages I should know of.

Part 3. Should I be fast falling before or after my dair (or any air for that matter) has hit the enemy?

Question 2. Frame data/ training mode
I know some stuff about frames in other games but this game seems to be a little different.

Part 1. Is the training mode combo counter even relevant? The reason I ask this is because the combo counter only records a combo if I hit the enemy again while they are in hit stun or 1 frame during non hit stun. I have noticed that after shffl dair into shine, sometimes the counter would go up to 2 consecutive hits and other times it wont. For the most part, it goes up easier the higher the percentage but at 0% it is very difficult to make that counter go to 2 consecutive hits.

Part 2. If I hit the enemy and they are then in the "non hit stun" frame, does this mean they are now able to block/ escape my next hit? (i don't have 2 controllers so i cant find out for myself) or are they now in some sort of recovery frame? Or is hit stun the recovery frames itself (I get confused sometimes).

Once a question is answered, Ill simply put it under the question itself so that others can see and respond differently if they'd like.
1.1: Whether you press R+Down at the same time, or R a little after, doesn't matter. The whole point is to press down at the apex of your jump, and R at the right time to cancel the lag. It's better to just understand the timing of the R-Cancel beforehand as it will benefit for more awkward timing cancels (such as adjusting to hitlag vs whiff timings, or SHFFL off a platform, or ledgehops, etc).

1.2: Personally, I couldn't live without using the C-stick, but some others play without it, so it's a matter of personal taste. That being said, you could just go into VS mode, and put on a level 1 computer; they don't really do much and offer ample opportunity to practice your techniques. Alternatively, you can do some of the tricks like solo VS mode glitch, which Bones elaborated here: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=14151016&postcount=2

1.3: You should fastfall at the apex of your jump, regardless of whether you hit your enemy or not. However, hitting your enemy/enemy's shield induces hitlag, which means your character sort of freezes for a couple frames, so you need to take that into account for your timings. I believe I read that fastfall inputs are buffered during the last few frames of hitlag (English translation: buttons pressed around the end of the hitlag will still go through) so it shouldn't be too big a deal most of the time.

2.1: Training mode is deceiving at times, although probably not for the reasons you're thinking. Unless you're linking a grab, tech chase, or reset in your combo, the counter shouldn't reset during consecutive hits, so yeah, what you're doing is not a combo, due to missed timing or what not. Still, I wouldn't rely on the training mode counter: Computer players don't DI in training mode, and even the slightest shifts in DI may totally change how you continue the combo. Smash is a game that takes a lot of 'feeling out' to determine what the best move to use in X situation is.

2.2: There is no 'recovery frame' stuff (get hit by a computer and see for yourself). When you get hit, you are put into hitstun. If the hit was strong enough/recipient was at a high enough percentage, upon leaving hitstun, you will enter a tumble state, where you may not airdodge. You may use any move at your charcter's disposal, or jump, or wiggle the joystick to get out of tumble state and airdodge. If, however, you're going to hit the ground before you leave hitstun (or are tumbling to it purposely), you can tech.

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
I don't think you can fastfall before the aerial, since you'll land before the move comes out, but you can fastfall during the move itself. So make sure to fastfall asap once you stop moving up regardless of when you did your move.

Naughty Pixel

Smash Apprentice
Addressing 1.2, you can utilize the masterhand glitch to enter a timed versus mode and practice tech skill that way. I used to go to final D with starmen turned on and I would shffl aerials into the boxes that would spawn. The invincibility of the starmen prevent exploding boxes from killing you.

:phone:

HateOnMe

Smash Rookie
Wow thanks a lot guys, it really helps. Ill make sure to fastfall no matter what and ill try that masterhand thing to see if it helps. One last thing, you did mention that the combo counter does keep track of official combos so in this case, would it be wise to go to training mode and just practice a suffld arial into a shine while the dummy/computer is at 0%? Possibly to get my execution better. Or is this just not practical at 0% regardless?

Top Bottom