• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Foxtrotting and Dash Attack

FE_Hector

Smash Lord

Total: 39
Hit: 6-12
IASA: 32

When I was messing around with foxtrots the other day, I became curious about the behavior of the dash attack when used at the end of a foxtrot (still in dash, but very slow). My tests showed that Marth actually will still do the full length rush forwards and swing his sword as if you're in the full run animation. Due to this unique property of the movement, do you think that dash attack could have potential use under certain circumstances? One thing I've been thinking about doing is using foxtrots to traverse larger sections of the stage at once while still able to enter DD ASAP, and I'm thinking that maybe using this as a mixup could be useful. Ideas?

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
Definitely would work as a mix-up, not to be overused. Fox trotting isn't my thing, but it can be pretty useful.

Akkien

Smash Cadet
You can also do this if you WD Back > Dash Forward. You'll stay in place but if you Dash Attack you'll still do the rush forward.

DeadPigeon

Smash Apprentice
It could be cool to try to work in boost grabs at the end of foxtrot, but it seems like you could just go into run and jc grab

Last edited:

Hunybear

Smash Ace
I only use the term sticky walk when you do it with a moonwalk instead of the wavedash, but yeah, still applies: same effect.
almost the same thing. sticky walk is wave dash back then dash forward. moonwalk is dash 1/2 circle back. but when you moon walk and the short hop you'll carry backward momentum but with a sticky walk you'll move forward. plus the way you should employ and act out of these differ per scenario.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
The biggest problem with this is that the extended range on the dash attack only applies to the direction Marth is facing at the end of the foxtrot. In other words, you can only hit them with the dash attack if you foxtrot toward them, which gives you a very small reaction window (in fact, you can hardly react to anything except like laggy badly-spaced smash attacks). This means that you'd have to read the opponent for this to hit consistently. Not that reading with dash attack is terrible or anything, but you have to be very reserved with a move like dash attack that tends to be easily telegraphed.

I still would experiment with it though. It's certainly not something that is used commonly in the current meta.

Last edited:
Top Bottom