• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox's Stage Match-up Thread

Jontho

Smash Rookie
So a lot of people have been wondering about Fox's compiled MU stagelist, so I finally decided to do it. In this thread we will discuss Fox's stages in various matchups, and therefore generally pick better stages rather than just starting on Smashville.

This thread is NOT for MU-discussions! This thread is only for use for stage-related match-ups.

(Otherwise, go here:
http://smashboards.com/threads/gene...u-discussion-thread-for-in-depth-talk.423642/
and here:
http://smashboards.com/threads/all-...ad-ryu-roy-lucas.393061/page-10#post-19928926)

Stagelist:

Starter:
Battlefield/Miiverse
Final Destination
Smashville

Starter or CounterPick (usually starter):
Town and City
Lylat Cruise

CounterPick:
Dreamland 64
Duck Hunt

CounterPick or Banned (usually banned):
Delfino
Halberd
Castle Seige

I will run this thread similarly to DavemanCozy's MU-thread, where I will post three characters every other week. Those characters will be discussed until the next batch comes up. Here's me hoping we come up with some great tech.

Lastly, shoutouts to NotEvenAmateuR for the stagelist.

Jontho

Smash Rookie
Let's start with the three plumbers:

:4mario:
:4luigi:
:4drmario:

The general consensus seems to be to avoid stages with low ceilings, since they capitalize of it better than Fox.

dadominator8

Smash Rookie
NNID
dddsoxfan98
As long as you get good on battlefield it'll beat out any MU except rosa. Vs rosa you should go FD

KidSchadow

Smash Rookie
Whenever I play against Mario Bros, I try to play on wide stages with platforms. Here's why:
  1. Due to how slow the Bros are in comparison to Fox, and their slow projectiles (Luigi specifically), laser camping is pretty effective. This makes stages like Duck Hunt and Dreamland really useful for playing run n' gun.
  2. The Bros force you to combo cautiously due to a fast nair, and just tossing them onto platforms fixes that problem pretty easily. In addition, layered platforms give Fox ridiculously long uair strings. This makes stages like Battlefield and, again, Dreamland rather effective.
Based on these points, I'd say Dreamland is the best for the plumbers matchup, because a wide stage makes camping easier, layered platform extend uair strings, and a small distance between platform and ceiling lets you kill more quickly.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I will mention the obvious: Lylat really hinders the use of lasers and side-b, along with using any auto-cancelable aerials. This isn't just true for the Marios, but against nearly everyone this stage will usually hinder Fox more than the opponent.

Jontho

Smash Rookie
Good points. Dream Land really works aginst the bros if you trust your defensive game. BF again can't really go wrong.

:4tlink:
:4link:
:4littlemac:

Next up, the heroes of time...aaaaand Little Mac. The Links benefits on bigger stages due to their ranged-game with projectiles. So smaller stages with platforms is the way to go? Let's discuss!

KidSchadow

Smash Rookie
The games best uair
Fox also has an incredibly good up air, and platforms block rosa to some extent from dairing fox when he goes for an up air. This in tandem with rosalina lacking a safe move to shoot herself horizontally out of up airs way seems to make platforms equally powerful for either character.

KidSchadow

Smash Rookie
From my experience in the Fox Mac matchup, just take Mac to a stage with a high platform and your fine. Once you have the percent lead (just a quick laser to open the match), hop onto the top platform and let him approach. Mac's only option is to up b or use an aerial, both of which are incredibly obvious. Strike final destination and lylat or smashville, depending on which you're more comfortable on. If it comes to your counter pick, the sets essentially won considering the opponent can't ban both dreamland and battlefield.

Justinian

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GenoAzelf
My scene has a couple of Links that I get to play with here and there. In this matchup, my two go-to starters are Battlefield (like most MUs) and Town and City. Both stages give Fox some platforms to use to evade Link's projectile pressure and extend up air juggles, as well as being smaller than FD and Duck Hunt, giving Link less room to breathe and escape the space animal's rushdown. The platforms also give Fox more ways to mix up his recovery, especially on BF. Personally, I like T&C better than Battlefield though, because the platforms are closer to the blast zone, letting up air kill ridiculously early (at or before 100) even with no rage. If both of those get struck, I'll go to Smashville; its ceiling is still a little lower than FD and Battlefield's, and the platform, while not reliable, can still help out with up air strings here and there.

As for counterpicks, Duck Hunt is like a combination of T&C and Final Destination: lots of room to run around, to the point where Fox can laser camp Link in some situations, a low ceiling, relatively wide sides, and the tree on the left side of the stage can let you ladder Link straight into the heavens. The tree and the bush also serve similar roles to BF/DL platforms in giving Fox more places to recover to. Some venues in my region like to run Halberd, and I'll go there in Link-Fox if it's my CP and my opponent doesn't ban it. The way I see it, Halberd is everything T&C is in this matchup, but better, since there's always a platform available, the ceiling is even lower, and Fox can recover through the stage if needed. Dreamland has basically the same benefits for Fox as Battlefield in this MU, but with a lower ceiling. Wispy has had very little impact on my matches vs Fox.

Fox bodies Link no matter which stage it's on, but I feel like T&C, Battlefield, and Duck Hunt give Fox the biggest advantage (along with Halberd if it's legal), while FD and Lylat are the comparatively "worse" choices. I would think most of what I said would also apply to Toon Link, but I have exactly one set of Toon Link matchup experience, so I don't really know.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
U-smash goes through platforms the height of Battlefield ones. Using Anther's legal stages:

- DL and BF lets you use platforms to juggle him. He has trouble applying pressure to anyone who runs away to the top.
- Town and City also has platforms which let you run up to.
- I personally am fine with FD. It's just you can't run away, but you can still play your game against him.
- I'm not a fan of Lylat. Mac's U-smash goes through every platform on this stage and our movement is hindered.
- Smashville is not good for either character, at the very least it let's Fox escape into the higher platform when it moves to the side.
- Duck Hunt; Mac will never pick it, Mac should always ban it, take him there if he doesn't and climb the tree.

meticulousboy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gradius_16
3DS FC
1005-8934-0229
Hmm. For the Captain Falcon MU, I think the stages to avoid are Battlefield/Miiverse and Dreamland. This is because of Falcon's Up Air strings. That Fox naturally is a fast faller does not help the situation.

WoolMoth

Smash Rookie
I personally never like taking any cloud to battlefield. Ya your Uairs are good here but his are better. This is the match up that I mind Lylat the least. It messes up with a lot of your stuff but it hurts clouds recovery a ton. Also it's smaller so he has less opportunities to run away and charge limit.

Top Bottom