• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox's Boost Pivot Grab Returns

RPK

Smash Lord
This is done by initiating a dash attack and canceling it into a pivot grab. For the inputs I initiate the dash->Halfcircle back->A->Shield in order to make the game read it as a grab while still having the game read it as though I inputted a dash attack. The reason for the half circle back is to avoid accidentally inputting F-smashes which is avoided by tilting the circle pad down and then pressing A. This is going to be of course much easier to perform on a GC controller as the halfcircle back motion and will instead turn into dash->c-stick down->other direction Z.

I still believe that this is as viable as it was in brawl despite the nerfs to grabs. I still find it to be fairly useful as it covers an amazing amount of space fairly quickly and can easily carry an opponent to the edge. In the beginning of the video I manage to cover FD with 3 Boost Pivot Grabs to show the space that it covers. This can be done from any position, most notably while running, or walking.

http://youtu.be/ga7Z4ybC8-0

Last edited:

G-Sword

Smash Journeyman
wow i love how it slides while you have a hold of him. so basically you are doing a canceled/fake dash attack into a pivot grab?

SirRob

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SirRobX
3DS FC
3394-4061-9856
This can be done with just a plain grab (as in, not shield + grab), yeah? The half circle thing is REALLY useful, I wasn't able to pivot grab consistently before, but that really does seem to be the trick! Thank you for sharing!

RPK

Smash Lord
Actually it can't be done with just a plain grab since you need to cancel the dash attack and you can't cancel a dash attack if you hit the grab button. You have to press A first and then R.

G-Sword

Smash Journeyman
This can be done with just a plain grab (as in, not shield + grab), yeah? The half circle thing is REALLY useful, I wasn't able to pivot grab consistently before, but that really does seem to be the trick! Thank you for sharing!
rob this is different. he is basically getting the speed boost from doing a dash attack but not doing the kick animation. its basically a dash grab attack. that is why the A button needs to be used to get the boost.

i wonder if this can be done from the front. where you can get the dash attack boost but just a normal grab

RPK

Smash Lord
rob this is different. he is basically getting the speed boost from doing a dash attack but not doing the kick animation. its basically a dash grab attack. that is why the A button needs to be used to get the boost.

i wonder if this can be done from the front. where you can get the dash attack boost but just a normal grab
Yes, but you don't cover such a ludicrous distance, has a slower start up, and a much higher recovery in comparison to a pivot grab

GreenBread

Smash Cadet
NNID
Iceformation
3DS FC
1203-9525-6346
Can someone upload a video of them doing this online? And I know this is a stupid question, but what is halfcircle back?

Last edited:

RPK

Smash Lord
The half-circle forward (usually “HCF”; 41236 in numpad notation) is represented by the command sequence “
”.

• On an arcade stick, you perform this motion by starting at the backward position, then quickly moving the stick through the down position over to the forward position.
  • On a gamepad, you perform this motion by hitting back, then sliding your thumb over through the down position (quickly) and ending at the forward position.
  • On the keyboard, you perform this motion by very smoothly hitting back, then down, then releasing back, then
    • Yes, it’s possible to do this perfectly; I do this all the time. It took me a while, though.
  • Any one of these methods will often allow you to do a pretty lazy half-circle, where you do not perfectly hit all the directions in between, but the game will register it as a successful half-circle anyway. It depends on the game (and sometimes even the character; for example, you can perform some half-circle commands in Street Fighter III without hitting the down direction explicitly, but Makoto’s Karakusa grab requires it).
The half-circle forward is often assigned to command throws and trap moves.

EDIT: Also how come you need a video showing it being done online? All ya gotta know is that if it can be done offline, it can be done online as there is absolutely no difference between the two other than input lag in which case the only option is to deal with it.

Last edited:

SirRob

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SirRobX
3DS FC
3394-4061-9856
Actually it can't be done with just a plain grab since you need to cancel the dash attack and you can't cancel a dash attack if you hit the grab button. You have to press A first and then R.
Sometimes when I do a pivot grab using the grab button, I end up sliding really far. Is that different from this?

Edit: I think I understand now, although maybe not. This is done during the initial dash animation, where you have a small burst of speed faster than your normal running speed. I think I was getting confused since I didn't think of that as an 'attack'.

Last edited:

GreenBread

Smash Cadet
NNID
Iceformation
3DS FC
1203-9525-6346
The half-circle forward (usually “HCF”; 41236 in numpad notation) is represented by the command sequence “
”.

• On an arcade stick, you perform this motion by starting at the backward position, then quickly moving the stick through the down position over to the forward position.
  • On a gamepad, you perform this motion by hitting back, then sliding your thumb over through the down position (quickly) and ending at the forward position.
  • On the keyboard, you perform this motion by very smoothly hitting back, then down, then releasing back, then
    • Yes, it’s possible to do this perfectly; I do this all the time. It took me a while, though.
  • Any one of these methods will often allow you to do a pretty lazy half-circle, where you do not perfectly hit all the directions in between, but the game will register it as a successful half-circle anyway. It depends on the game (and sometimes even the character; for example, you can perform some half-circle commands in Street Fighter III without hitting the down direction explicitly, but Makoto’s Karakusa grab requires it).
The half-circle forward is often assigned to command throws and trap moves.

EDIT: Also how come you need a video showing it being done online? All ya gotta know is that if it can be done offline, it can be done online as there is absolutely no difference between the two other than input lag in which case the only option is to deal with it.
I'd like to just see the usefulness in a real match, I'm having difficulties doing it myself, so I wouldn't be able to do it myself.

G-Sword

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to just see the usefulness in a real match, I'm having difficulties doing it myself, so I wouldn't be able to do it myself.
the usefulness is right there in front of you bud. its another way to approach. instead of doing a dash attack which alot of people will predict and just shield, you grab them

GreenBread

Smash Cadet
NNID
Iceformation
3DS FC
1203-9525-6346
Okay, I can do it pretty consistently now, I have my grab on my Y, and it works for me. Should I still use A+R?

G-Sword

Smash Journeyman
Okay, I can do it pretty consistently now, I have my grab on my Y, and it works for me. Should I still use A+R?
basically u have to use A to get the boost. this is not a normal pivot grab. its a dash pivot grab

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'm able to do it, but I can definitely see this being much easier with a proper controller.

RPK

Smash Lord
So Ive found the input a lot easier if you just do 63A->Shield->4
Use fighting game notations if you don't get that part. Might have to reverse the 4 and the R, but either way works. You can also replace the Shield with Grab

Top Bottom