• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox vs MK video tutorial (nakat vs zero)

TKD

Smash Lord
I'd post this in "The TKD thread", but I have a feeling that's dead now (even though it's stickied), since no one has asked a question or come up with anything since my last post.

I recorded a video analysis of a tournament SSBB match between nakat's fox and zero's mk. It should be helpful. I don't think I talked about mindgames much or at all (only stuff like staples, and counters and pointed out big mistakes) so it should probably be understandable to any mid+ level player who knows what a buffer is.

I apologize for it being too long and the low volume if that's a problem but I promise it's interesting and very helpful.

It's divided in three ~24 minute parts:
Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCKq_eAWbLA
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8BZT_-yDtc
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvurbtUkIuI

I may do this again. It's way easier than typing a billion paragraphs, and I think it's almost as good as teaching in person, so I like it.

Wusi

Smash Cadet
this is really helpful, thanks
i'm about to hit part2, i'll edit my post if i have any questions
please analyse the diddy MU, it'd help a lot =x

TKD

Smash Lord
yeah i also need Diddy mu help.
If you dont mind, could you analyse my sets against Cyve? http://youtu.be/I4YrbBQ5iAM http://youtu.be/vwp-Ugy2WkQ
It would be a great help x) I fought Cyve a couple of time and only won 1 match :(
Maybe I'll watch in my spare time. If your mistakes make me feel anxious enough I'll make the video as soon as I watch it haha... I'm kind of a "Monica".

I do think I should get faster at this with practice though by getting used to noticing stuff and not having to stop so much to think and talk in English. I really like the recording program I downloaded. Saves tons of time and I think it's easier to understand than those huge essays I used to type up.

Last edited:

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
Oorah! I will watch it SOON, when I can play the game and actually take these into accounts. And good to see TKD being active.

Wusi

Smash Cadet
is there literally nothing you can do to record the matches? like save them to your sd card or anything, i'd even upload them. :<
also, congrats :bee:

Last edited:

C.R.Z

Smash Lord
hmmm watched the vids and decided to type some stuff which TKD didnt mention. Obviously the stuff he did i didnt mention.

13.28 - nakat rolling the direction he did was not a good move because mk had rolled just behind him. rolling through your opponent makes it alot easier to punish it on reaction with a tilt or committed move because of the shortened distance of the roll. rolling away would have been the better option however still has its disadvantages as he would have had his back against the ledge. it would have been a very safe roll and his best option.

7.35- also if zero decided to do a air jump buffered dair nakat could have punished with a dair or fair oos, so yeah shielding against someone landing is really strong.

24.30 - please please PLEASE dont do this like that. short hop airdodge is terrible in most situations. nakat had no reason to do that at all. The only reason you would do that is if you have the read on the mk where you think he may fair. sh airdodge will pretty much lose to anything else because it loses to shield and can be reacted to. best option is to empty sh ff grab opponents who expect the dair as it is impossible to react to, to my knowledge.

second vid

1.56 - hmm not sure if people actually block expecting the utilt, i think they can just grab your landing as soon as they realise you've air dodged. also utilt from the front is going to be slower than usual.

9.00 - the dash was actually alittle to far away, zero could have reacted to that with spot dodge, if you do the dash shield grab asap, opponents cannot react to it. they would have to read it and commit to the guess.

25.00ish - when he illusion he probably should have cancelled it to get closer to the ground/ to the ledge, he did it way too high :(

3rd vid

7.05 - fairing at high percent is dangerous, it will get you killed often.

13.55 - dash attack would have been a smarter choice. foxs dash attack is like a sex kick in that it has a good amount of active frames, enough to catch air dodges well. its understandable why nakat went for the usmash though, high pressured situations make people get greedy, gotta stay calm.

tomahawks aren't very practical, there kinda used to cover up a mistake. zero did not fair through a sh airdodge at all that game so nakat should have stopped and replaced them with empty short hops. you do need confidence to do that tho but it's still more practical to do especially because of how much respect people have to give dair.

zero needed to make more reads and react better. nakat had no reason to expect or respect mks dash attacks or dash grabs that game which made him free to do as he liked.

jr22

Smash Apprentice
This is very helpful, thanks for the uploading this. I hope to see some of these analysis berfore smash 4 release.

TKD

Smash Lord
I'm sorry about being kind of a perfectionist when it came to Fox play in Brawl before. I just wanted anyone to play Fox at top level in tournament because I knew he had the potential to be good. I don't care anymore; I'm not too interested in Brawl and I think Smash 4 will replace it.

No matter what anyone does, Brawl will still have its silly chaingrabs that you can't DI and have Meta Knight who can fight those tactics, isn't severely hindered by them like the space animals and doesn't require as much practice as any other character, so I'd rather play him. I really only play Brawl to collect the pot at local tournaments now and go full MK. I still love the competition but Brawl often gets frustrating because of the lack of options (even though it has a lot more options than most fighting games).

It's funny how last time I lost a Brawl set, I got so upset that I didn't greet the other player; I just started mumbling about blocking and walked away, LOL. I started thinking, annoyed, that Brawl's all about who blocks the most ('cause he blocked specific dairs and usmashes that resulted in his win and I think everyone knows by now that blocking is op in this game), so next sets I planned to block as much as I could, not hit any shields, and watch out for the moments when I could get grabbed (which actually is relatively not that many of them and there's no rock-paper-scissors factor outside of the very few frames per second you can get grabbed). I was so annoyed, that my complaints about the game became literaly my whole game plan and I won the entire tournament next.

It's not like it matters if other people can play your favorite character super well; I now think the most important question is what you individually want to get out of a game so you make it for your own self: maybe it's representing a character, competing alongside your friends, winning the prize pot, or getting recognition. Sporadically playing Brawl for years was good; although I think sticking with Melee would've been a lot more fun. I was really, really good at Melee before dumping it for Brawl because I thought it was gonna die so I moved to the newer game. I met lots of cool people and learned a lot of things so I don't regret anything either way.

I'm playing Melee now and go full Fox. Just felt like sharing. Happy gaming.

Last edited:

BigmouthCreator

Smash Rookie
Hey Tee, thanks for everything you've posted about Brawl. You set a very high standard and I learned a lot. I don't think I'm good yet but I'm certainly better than I would've been if I hadn't had your resources about Brawl Fox. Have fun with Melee <3

TKD

Smash Lord
That's good to know. At least some people know he wasn't a garbage character (I didn't even touch the character before a Japanese friend told me he was good). Really the only thing wrong with Fox was being locked in chaingrabs where you had no DI over the throw. Annoying, since in Melee you could DI every throw in the game (and every move with knockback for that matter).

Last edited:

BigmouthCreator

Smash Rookie
I nearly dropped Fox until you said he was good... it took me a while to agree, but now I think you're right. Fox is good.

I found what you said about shields to be very interesting. I played Melee a couple days ago (the Brawl scene is dead over here) and I kept trying to shieldgrab everywhere and it wasn't working... I guess I didn't realize how good Brawl shields were until I played a game where they were less good.

Top Bottom