• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox vs. Mario

Antwon420

Smash Apprentice
Okay so me personally, I think Mario is a hard counter to fox. I'd like to get other peoples opinion on the matchup, and see if others would say Mario has the advantage over fox. Or I'd just like to know other peoples general thoughts on the matchup. Thanks.

Sedda

Smash Champion
imo fox destroys mario.

just remember to reflect fireballs and not get stuck in one spot. fox can use platforms to his advantage by moving in and out faster than mario ever could, and fox's lasers are really good at pinning mario down. a lot of people get hit by fireballs when trying to spam lasers when they should be taking advantage of the platforms.

yeah, fox is easy to edgeguard, but that's true against any character, and fox is really good at edgeguarding mario and covering all the little tricks that he can do to try to get back on stage. if he's trying to recover from above with fireballs, you just have to time a bair before his fireball animation is over. you can bair through his fireballs and knock him out. if mario is recovering from below, you just need to be patient and dtilt when necessary. if mario uses down b, you have all the time in the world to see where he's going to end up. sometimes you can just bair or shine after down b, sometimes you can edgehog and regular ledge get up into whatever (depending on mario %).
if mario is already grabbing edge, fox bair covers ledgejump ----> everything except for mario up b i guess, but even that is pretty risky for mario. i personally think it's easier to get back on stage once you're grabbing the ledge as fox than as mario, or at the very least it's equally difficult.

even if fox is easier to edgeguard, i feel mario has to take more risks in the neutral to get anything started. upsmash is pretty risky if you miss and can get you pwnd, everyone can di out of dair, uair only works at mid---> high %. if you think about it, mario is kinda like a ****ty fox with a slightly better recovery

Last edited:

$$$ Jim $$$

Smash Cadet
yeah yeah i get it sedda i laser spam too much haha

i'd say that fox v mario PLAYS differently than any other of his matchups. i have a lot of trouble in the matchup myself, but i suspect fox ultimately has the advantage once you understand mario's weaknesses. sedda's post goes into some of the intricacies of the matchup, but i would also encourage you to just take note of how mario is hitting you every time that you lose neutral. it's my belief that fox has answers to every one of mario's neutral options, so as long as you can take control of that part of the game and not overextend in combos, you should be fine.

Sedda

Smash Champion
i struggled vs mario at first too (on dl), but maybe it was just because of hyrule camp mentality. fox is really good guys

Technical_Knockout

Smash Apprentice
don't say he's too good my first tier list i put fox, ness, yoshi, pika on top & got ridiculed...:)

Last edited:

Technical_Knockout

Smash Apprentice
if you played him perfectly he might be the best... but that's the kind of talk that will kick off a lot of unnecessary drama so yeah let's just say he's really good. :)

Technical_Knockout

Smash Apprentice
so you're a fox main... do you mean fox or luigi? :)

i'd say kirby is a better counter to fox than mario.

also sedda, mario is similar to falcon in some respects, but really they play much differently. i mean mario has a jab/grab, projectile & drill... seems a little inaccurate to peg him as a ****ty falcon, just saying.... :)

Last edited:

Sedda

Smash Champion
so you're a fox main... do you mean fox or luigi? :)

i'd say kirby is a better counter to fox than mario.

also sedda, mario is similar to falcon in some respects, but really they play much differently. i mean mario has a jab/grab, projectile & drill... seems a little inaccurate to peg him as a ****ty falcon, just saying.... :)

if you think about it, mario is kinda like a ****ty fox with a slightly better recovery
what

Antwon420

Smash Apprentice
I have fox set as my main but I'm better with pika, jiggs, and falcon. I used to main jiggs and I'd probably still use jiggs in tourney but I'm trying to get my fox to get better.

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
I think Fox wins vs. Mario, but it's pretty close. Mario's spaced U-airs can actually beat many of Fox's approaches and he can crouch under lasers if you reset the crouch animation every now and then (Mario moves his head during crouch and can get hit by lasers when this happens). Mario and Fox can punish each other really hard, but Fox has an easier time killing with Jab -> U-smash than Mario does getting a grab. Overall if I were to give a number I'd say this MU is 6-4 in Fox's favor.

The24thGanondorf

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1418-7666-1581
Okay so me personally, I think Mario is a hard counter to fox. I'd like to get other peoples opinion on the matchup, and see if others would say Mario has the advantage over fox. Or I'd just like to know other peoples general thoughts on the matchup. Thanks.
Fox is better than Mario for sure, but it's much easier for me to combo with Mario since he's not as heavy as Fox in the air.

Top Bottom