• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox vs Diddy Kong matchup?

Estwood

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3609-2019-2185
I live in MD/VA and there are a lot of Diddy mains in this region. Does anyone have tips for me, who only been playing since July and wants to win it in :fox:'s favor?

KHL

Smash Rookie
General vs. Diddy advice -- learn how to play with bananas. Learn the banana tech you can do, like Z-catching/dropping, glide tossing and aerial glide tossing. Be very comfortable wavedashing over bananas to pick them up. Learn how to tech bananas to interrupt Diddy's followup timing. If you show your competence with bananas, Diddys will be a lot more scared to mindlessly throw them around and will be forced to use their bananas more cautiously.

I could be making this up, but I think shine is jump-cancellable after reflecting something in P.M.

A lot of people at low levels let Diddy pluck bananas for free, and as Fox, if you autopilot SHDL, Diddy will gladly trade the small % to set up his banana ground game. Fox has the speed and rushdown capabilities to keep Diddy from safely plucking bananas. At the very least, Fox shouldn't let Diddy get two bananas out without Diddy sacrificing center stage. Be aware of his OoS options when he has a banana (essentially just glide tossing away) and when he doesn't (n-air, upsmash, grab) but in general Diddy doesn't really have an answer to well spaced Fox shield pressure.

Fox still has the best dash dance and speed in this game, so if Diddy has both bananas, you could try baiting him to throw one by dash dancing and wavedashing in and out of his range, then punishing the approach or taking the banana.

Try not to get grabbed -- Diddy has really nasty combos on Fox off of U-throw.

Diddy has a lot of dumb DI gimmicks that generally shouldn't work if you're mindful, but they'll go for them a lot if you aren't punishing them. Dash attack offstage to D-air is a big one (SDI the dash attack in to stay on stage, or just don't panic and lose your jump to the D-air and time your meteor cancel to recover safely). Diddy's D-throw can lead into F-air at medium to high percents if you DI up and in.

learn how to edgeguard him. Praxis made a helpful graphic of Diddy's upB recovery lengths in the Diddy boards but I don't have enough posts to link it.

A lot of Diddy's use their side-B predictably offstage, and you can intercept it with a nair or bair. If Diddy is charging his rockets and going for the ledge, D-smash by the ledge can often catch him if he doesn't sweetspot correctly (and it's pretty hard to sweetspot his upB). Otherwise you can just upsmash if he's trying to land farther onstage. The general rule is to not throw out a move too early in anticipation. You generally have time to react to all of his options, and many Diddys will try to charge their upB and let go right as they see you commit to an action.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
@ KHL KHL :

A couple tips- I'm fairly sure IIRC Fox can jump-cancel throws better than he can glide toss, or something like that. Someone refresh my memory. I know I see Mew2King do it.

Shining Diddy's up-B kills him. Use the chart wisely, learn to know how far Diddy is going to go in the direction he's pointing while he's charging so you know EXACTLY where he will end up the moment he releases the barrel. If you know where he's going to end up, you will know if he's going to sweetspot or not, and if he's not...dsmash at the ledge all day.

Rush Diddy down if he tries to pull a banana. The thing about Diddy is that he wants space. So many Foxes I see think they've reset the game to neutral if I run away, but Diddy has a uniquely threatening neutral game. Leave him alone and he comes back with bananas. When Diddy has bananas, he OWNS the neutral game. When he doesn't, Fox has the advantage.

Diddy is a fastfaller, so combo him like you would Falcon or MK.

And figure out how to DI his dash attack so he can't dash attack to dair for a kill. I know it can be DI'd correctly, I'm just not usually on the receiving end so I can't tell you the direction.

In my experience, Diddy's kills mostly come from wavedash backwards fsmash, and fair, in this matchup.

Make sure you can consistently tech bananas, and learn banana logic. As a Diddy main, most people don't understand how bananas affect their spacing and options, so when people pick up a banana I just rush them down because I know they're not comfortable. They'll often rush to throw the banana back at me, at which point I shield, jump, Z catch, AGT it and chase it. I do NOT behave this way against another Diddy player.

Remember that wavedashing picks up bananas, and that you can perform your aerials after pressing a Z drop, and you can AGT. Throwing a banana at your feet as your opponent approaches and you retreat just an inch is a great way of handling bananas that people tend to overlook, for example- you've limited your opponent's approach options while he is coming at you, but have full access to all of yours.

Top Bottom