• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox Video Critique Thread

kancon1

Smash Cadet
Today I noticed how pretty much every other character forum had a video critique thread while searching for a fox video critique thread. We don't have one, so I thought it would be a good idea to start one, to help out all of those new up and coming fox players! (Also I need some videos critiqued myself...) The last critique thread was made in 2010 and didn't get much attention, Hopefully my thread will get more attention this time around.

I would like to start. This is a set a friend and I recorded during our practice today for the purpose of putting it on a critique thread and, hopefully, catching some mistakes we hadn't noticed on our own. I know it is better to post videos of sets that you lost for critique, but unfortunately I have no footage of a set I lost, and I feel I made a lot of mistakes in this set regardless. I also put this on the Falcon thread so they could critique my friend in this set. Please critique me, it would be very helpful!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDLqQuijTaI

Flippy Flippersen

Smash Journeyman
You should really move around more. I saw you going for shield and stand grab a lot. I also barely saw dashdancing. (fox has a really good dash dance too) Most of the times you dash you go for a dash attack. Rather than dash attack I'd suggest nair/dair, shine starting a dash dance jump canceled grab. When you do get grabs your punish usually was pretty minimalistic. Sometimes it's ok to want more out of a punish than upsmash upair and if you want a small combo like that cause you think you're not gonna get more go for bair to get your opponent to the ledge. That way his options get limited and you can punish him for a later mistake easier.

If you don't see what you could have done at a certain point instead just give a timestamp and I'll tell what I would have gone for instead (keep in mind I'm not mad pro or something)

tldr move more think more about punish game. (also less dash attacks)

Last edited:

kancon1

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the critique! Most of the dash attacks were from trying to tap the jump button too lightly to short hop and I end up not pressing it at all. It seems to happen a lot during serious sets, I think I can fix it just by playing more tense sets and getting used to the tension. Also I never thought about using back air to knock them off the ledge rather than up air for a follow up, awesome tip! Also what are some other followups out of a grab that I could get better followups off of or some other BnB combos? Later if you don't mind I'll send some timestamps if you could tell me better ways I could follow up. Thanks again!

Flippy Flippersen

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the critique! Most of the dash attacks were from trying to tap the jump button too lightly to short hop and I end up not pressing it at all. It seems to happen a lot during serious sets, I think I can fix it just by playing more tense sets and getting used to the tension. Also I never thought about using back air to knock them off the ledge rather than up air for a follow up, awesome tip! Also what are some other followups out of a grab that I could get better followups off of or some other BnB combos? Later if you don't mind I'll send some timestamps if you could tell me better ways I could follow up. Thanks again!
Np. The best option out of a grab is both di and percent dependent. As long as you have your opponent on lower percent generally you want moves that hit him up (up air up smash and uptilt) which depending on percent/di you can chain into a regrab or of course another up air/bair. Fox throwgame doesn't really have a long chart like marth but generally up air or bair is your answer. The only reason I mentioned it cause I saw a lot of throw into nothing.

Also if you have 20xx you should turn on the thing that flashes you green whenever you stand still and practice movement like that for a bit.

SuperShus

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
East#694
Ya'll are both like suuuuper low level so I'll just suggest that you practice shffling and wavedashing.
Other than that, try not to run in on your opponent when they aren't in hitstun. That's mostly where you got hit, trying to follow up on a combo you already dropped. :p It's good to chase down, and throw out hitboxes, but try not to chase down and run into hitboxes. The difference is very small but it might help you.

Top Bottom