• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox trot etc

Mesamune88

Smash Rookie
So ive been playing nothing but CF since getting this game and i feel im getting better a little at a time. I read something that said "learn how to foxtrot,perfect pivot, wave dash with CF"

I cant find any vids of CF doing these in ssb4 but i think im doing it. My issue is...how do i apply it in battle?
I fought a lil mac who had mastered this and it clearly works in battle for that character but im not sure how to use it as CF.

I have been trying my best to improve on basics and techs. i 2v1 lvl 9 cpu and practice techs for like a hour a few times a day. If anyone has anything else that could improve my CF or fundamentals please share.

BBC7

Smash Ace
So ive been playing nothing but CF since getting this game and i feel im getting better a little at a time. I read something that said "learn how to foxtrot,perfect pivot, wave dash with CF"

I cant find any vids of CF doing these in ssb4 but i think im doing it. My issue is...how do i apply it in battle?
I fought a lil mac who had mastered this and it clearly works in battle for that character but im not sure how to use it as CF.

I have been trying my best to improve on basics and techs. i 2v1 lvl 9 cpu and practice techs for like a hour a few times a day. If anyone has anything else that could improve my CF or fundamentals please share.
Well, first of all, don't try Wave Dashing in SSB4. It doesn't exist. Don't use Level 9 CPU's for training either, find some buddies and spar with them. I guarantee that playing 1 week day with a friend will teach you more than playing 1 year with a Level 9 CPU. Level 9 CPU's are dumb, but have perfect reaction times. Humans are the opposite, smart but imperfect reaction times. You don't want to use the opposite of a human to train for fighting a human.

Last edited:

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I think you may be referring to my guide where I referred to this thread here.

Honestly, it's a new technique, still really fresh, and probably not worth doing on the 3DS right now. I feel like it's just too difficult with the 3DS controls and you might end up physically damaging your 3DS. I would wait until the Wii U version.

Right now I would just get comfortable playing Falcon and playing Smash 4 in general. Movement techs like dash into shield or dash away pivots are probably what's worth learning right now in addition to just getting comfortable with and understanding the game. Just play For Glory and learnt your tools and how to use them. There are some nifty guides in this subforum already as well.

Last edited:

Mesamune88

Smash Rookie
Well, first of all, don't try Wave Dashing in SSB4. It doesn't exist. Don't use Level 9 CPU's for training either, find some buddies and spar with them. I guarantee that playing 1 week day with a friend will teach you more than playing 1 year with a Level 9 CPU. Level 9 CPU's are dumb, but have perfect reaction times. Humans are the opposite, smart but imperfect reaction times. You don't want to use the opposite of a human to train for fighting a human.
Gotcha. But what is the purpose of fox trotting? How to i make pivoting useful?

BBC7

Smash Ace
Gotcha. But what is the purpose of fox trotting? How to i make pivoting useful?
It's to grant you enhanced movement while keeping all of your options open because you're out of shield. You need an opponent with a mind to usually make use of pivoting and fox trotting, which is why I suggest fighting humans. If you don't have sparring buddies constantly available, Level 1 CPU's aren't bad for training either.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Fox trotting is the initial dash. You can use it to close a distance while remaining in neutral position (which means all your options are still open, as if you're just standing). Where as if you enter full dash animation you can only get out by shield, jump, grab, or dash attack.

Pivoting is great since you can dash back, pivot and perform a grab/fsmash/ftilt. Think of it like a wavedash back. Example: Someone dashes towards you to try to grab you. You can dash away (so they miss your grab) and pivot grab/fsmash/ftilt to punish their missed grab.

Last edited:

BBC7

Smash Ace
One thing pivoting is really good for is off-stage gimping. Run towards the edge of a stage, and then quickly pivot and jump off the stage. This lets you carry forward momentum while using backwards moves, which usually tend to be kill moves if they're aerials.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
One thing pivoting is really good for is off-stage gimping. Run towards the edge of a stage, and then quickly pivot and jump off the stage. This lets you carry forward momentum while using backwards moves, which usually tend to be kill moves if they're aerials.
This is especially useful since your go to off stage option (imo) is to bair.

Nonrefutal

Smash Rookie
I play Melee, and haven't picked up the game yet :p. Anyways, I watch pro's on streams, watch out for the technique I'm looking for, and see how they apply it during their matches. After, I call friends over and just practice. Playing against level 9 can work, just not as well.

Stafy

Smash Journeyman
Fox trotting is pretty good to use. Best example I can think of is fox trotting into a shield. Try doing a regular turn around on Falcon and shielding, then try fox trotting into a shield. You can fox trot into a shield a lot quicker as opposed to turning around, sliding, then shielding.

I wouldn't say it's too damaging on your 3DS either. Dashdancing will, if anything, but pressing one direction and quickly tapping the other direction twice won't do much damage.

Top Bottom