• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox shinespikes viable since 1.10?

Rhus

We're going top speed!
The Shine buff is more of a situational off stage tool than it is a reliable edgeguard.

It doesn't work too well against a decent set of the roster who have incredible recoveries that don't need a second jump and/or they are invincible (Sheik, ZSS, G&W etc.). It's a pretty limited option because Nair tends to outclass it a little when intercepting recoveries above and at stage level.

However, it has uses when gimping beneath the stage and stage spiking. Combining Fox's fast fall speed with the shine and you can gimp people beneath the stage somewhat well depending on the character of course. It's also a lot safer than trying Bair/Nair when that deep because Fox's fall speed+the end lag means you won't be coming back.

It has uses, and definitely worth understanding for when you get kills with it, but don't rely on it/go for it all the time. Nair is our best tool for intercepting recoveries and gimping at stage level, so that is more preferential more often, but don't ignore this option should the opportunity present itself.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
It's unreliable imo, it's most useful properties still remain being able to reflect and stalling your air momentum

Foster J.

Smash Ace
I think there's a few places for it, but they're really rare.
I've actually been fiddling a bit with shine the past few days against tether recoveries.
If you take notice of Nairo offstage he just goes for the tether and zooms back to the ledge most of the time, but in some situations you have a frame window where you can hit them out of it.

I think this applies mostly to Samus, Lucas and the Links compared to ZSS though.

TriffHR

Smash Apprentice
I have been going off stage, shine so that it stage spikes then combo into nair. It's worked against some characters without great recoveries. it's a bit unreliable though

Top Bottom