• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox Patch 1.06 Notes

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Looks like it's easier to escape Fox's jab lock now, I was playing Shulk and managed to tap my way away from him after ~5 sets of jabs and jump away, Vanilla stats (ie no monado equiped). I remember this being impossible to escape before on frame perfect Fox.

Nothing besides that.

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
Looks like it's easier to escape Fox's jab lock now, I was playing Shulk and managed to tap my way away from him after ~5 sets of jabs and jump away, Vanilla stats (ie no monado equiped). I remember this being impossible to escape before on frame perfect Fox.

Nothing besides that.
So they nerfed it but it still works for a few sets? Brilliant. I was so scared they would take it out entirely... But it was still pretty stupid. I walked a Ness across the entire stage and out the blast zone on Wii Fit in a friendly once.
I'm happy with this. It's for the best imo
(Unless everyone else got buffs and we just got left alone).

-Cheeto

Smash Rookie
im not entirely sure but it looks like fox has more endlag on his fair

memk

Smash Cadet
NNID
memk1213
fully charged up-smash kills mario at 65 (without lightning effect) and 66 (with lightning affect)

Uncharged upsmash 101 (without lighning effect) 103 (with lightning effect)

All on FD middle stage

M@v

Subarashii!
I haven't noticed anything much yet...double jab cancel itself feels exactly the same to me (Just as fast, no forces into rapid jab). So I think its the same right now...perhaps other character changes will make it easier or harder for them to get out of it. I haven't noticed anything else yet. If Fox winds up being completely unchanged I'll be happy. I think he's perfect the way he is right now; solid top tier with a couple exploitable weaknesses. The biggest weakness IMO is a predictable recovery, with bad get up from the ledge options to boot, and minor weaknesses are a below average projectile, and a below average offstage game (I feel its much better to edge guard with Fox via edge pressure and ledge trumps overall)

I think customs actually fix the Offstage game and projectile issues though :p

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Jab cancel timing is the same. There's def something going on with the way it behaves on the victims though. Before the patch I wasn't able to escape by DIing away with Shulk, Fox would just carry him to the edges of the stage.

I might be messing up myself, since I am on 3DS. More exploration needed.

Hidden Arwing

Smash Apprentice
I believe there is a slight endlag to Fox's Fair. I tried to Fair > Upsmash, but Up smash was harder to pull out for some reason.

There is also major nerfs to upsmash and downsmash, which both considerably have more ending lag. Hnnngg... It's depressing that I can't shield immediately or move afterwards after those smashes. So proceed with caution.

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I believe there is a slight endlag to Fox's Fair. I tried to Fair > Upsmash, but Up smash was harder to pull out for some reason.
It seems the same to me, tbh. The landing lag might be killing the follow up from the F-air spike -> U-smash, but the landing lag seems the same to me too.

There is also major nerfs to upsmash and downsmash, which both considerably have more ending lag. Hnnngg... It's depressing that I can't shield immediately or move afterwards after those smashes. So proceed with caution.
The ending lag also seems the same to me as before this patch. Quick to come out, but with notable ending lag.

We'll need frame data to compare numbers or a side-by-side comparison, but I don't see either of these. :p

elmike

Smash Apprentice
I wont update until tomorrow.

So any request for testing something that can be tested without frame data confirmation, feel free to ask.

G-Sword

Smash Journeyman
fully charged up-smash kills mario at 65 (without lightning effect) and 66 (with lightning affect)

Uncharged upsmash 101 (without lighning effect) 103 (with lightning effect)

All on FD middle stage
Crosses fingers

Last edited:

Hidden Arwing

Smash Apprentice
It seems the same to me, tbh. The landing lag might be killing the follow up from the F-air spike -> U-smash, but the landing lag seems the same to me too.

The ending lag also seems the same to me as before this patch. Quick to come out, but with notable ending lag.

We'll need frame data to compare numbers or a side-by-side comparison, but I don't see either of these. :p
I'm pretty positive about what I said to Fox's ending lag Upsmash and Downsmash. Try either of those and shielding afterwards. There's a huge delay before the shield can pop out, which can lead to a punish.

I'm sad about this "balancing patch".

M@v

Subarashii!
I've patched my 3ds but not my wii u because I had to go to work. If I remember ill play the last patch wii u side by side with the 3ds patch to see if I spot anything.

Foster J.

Smash Ace
There might be some extra added knockback on the jablock, so you can't just take them for a ride across the stage.

Other than that, I haven't noticed much. I feel like Usmash's hitbox might be slightly greater in front of him now, covering him slightly, but that's just speculation at this point.

G-Sword

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty positive about what I said to Fox's ending lag Upsmash and Downsmash. Try either of those and shielding afterwards. There's a huge delay before the shield can pop out, which can lead to a punish.

I'm playing it now. And fox feels better to me. He might have gotten faster and his Usmash seems stronger. Think I like this patch. As for jab having extra knockback that's a plus to me.

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader

Fox's up smash and down smash have had big ending lag since the game was released, they haven't changed those, so you're just imagining it.

blue_flavored

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blueflavored
Idk if this was a thing before the patch but I just noticed this today. Dair to up smash seems to be a true combo at around 110% At least against Captain Falcon. I used it a bunch today online and at the right percent no one got out of it. It seemed to work at the same percent the Nair to up smash works. Like I said Idk if this was a thing before the patch but Ive watched a few Fox guides and no one mentioned this. So am I just slow to realize this or did I just make a discovery? :awesome:

tears in rain

Smash Cadet
Up-Smash feels a lot stronger, but I haven't noticed any extra ending lag. On multiple occasions last night, my uncharged Up-Smash was killing Mario and Yoshi at 90% with the body of the hit box - by this I mean; they were standing right on top of me when I did it. Up-Air killed a Yoshi at 100%, too. Down-Air seems to have less landing lag, but only when it hits? I dunno, it seems weird, and it very well might be the placebo affect. This is for certain, though; Up-Smash is stronger.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
Idk if this was a thing before the patch but I just noticed this today. Dair to up smash seems to be a true combo at around 110% At least against Captain Falcon. I used it a bunch today online and at the right percent no one got out of it. It seemed to work at the same percent the Nair to up smash works. Like I said Idk if this was a thing before the patch but Ive watched a few Fox guides and no one mentioned this. So am I just slow to realize this or did I just make a discovery? :awesome:

nah dair to up smash was already in the game and known, I cant remember who but one of the fox mains here uses dair a lot and does some cool things with it including that, I've also done it a couple of times in matches, sorry to ruin the dream.

Fox seems the same to me, cant be sure havent really tested anything, but jab cancel feels the same, and all of foxes smash attacks have always had heaps of end lag after them (probably to make up for them coming out so fast)

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
Dair has always had reduced landing lag when it hits. Yoshi is light, uair killing him at 100% isn't weird and we have always been capable of that.
And regarding usmash being bigger: The hitbox extended a decent way past the actual kick. I have gotten kills without Fox's model being in contact with them before (I believe it also extends his hurtbox invisibly but I was only hit like that once so I might be mistaken).

M@v

Subarashii!
Dair can combo into upsmash at higher percents. At higher percents it hits them sideways kind of similar to nair's angle. You can sometimes catch them before they have a chance to tech. Like nair, even if they get the tech chance, its guaranteed if they miss the tech, and you can still go for a tech chase regardless.

G-Sword

Smash Journeyman
Yea fox feels definetly feels better. Usmash is stronger, bigger hitbox from above it seems
Jab jab to a smash feels better. His attacks feel like either they come out quicker or less lag. I think dsmash i think might have a bigger hitbox. Doesnt feel as laggy either. Fox still has his jab jab combo.

Diagonal_Smash

Smash Apprentice
NNID
YayConformity
3DS FC
5069-4015-5843
Down air - up smash has always been a thing. ALWAYS. And you're all insane. His jab cancel combo is STILL there. I just took several characters all the way accross the stage. Don't let your imaginations get the better of you.

This probably means that fox won't be changed any more, which I'm absolutely fine with. He's a solid character.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I'm positive Fox is still the same after copious amounts of testing yesterday. As I suspected, I was not doing the jab lock well, I was missing a beat in the 20 frame rhythm of pressing A between jabs, and Shulk was escaping with SDI as a result.

Fox is exactly the same. Every "difference" we're finding seems to be a placebo effect. Don't worry, it's ok, I admit I was guilty of it, it's a common thing that happens with patches when we're all looking so close for differences.

G-Sword

Smash Journeyman
Down air - up smash has always been a thing. ALWAYS. And you're all insane. His jab cancel combo is STILL there. I just took several characters all the way accross the stage. Don't let your imaginations get the better of you.

This probably means that fox won't be changed any more, which I'm absolutely fine with. He's a solid character.
Haha right been saying that dair leads to Usmash for the longest on here. His jab jab is still there it might even lead to jab jab to smash better nownow than it did before. Need to play more matches tho. Just seems like he got buffed just a tiny bit. He needed it since he can't kill with a throw at a good %. Uair definitely feels stronger. It usually doesn't kill 100-115. It was more like 120-130 on most characters. Of course I could be wrong on the changes but dsmash doesdoes feel like it has a bigger hitbox and Usmash either got better or some characters weight went down

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I could be wrong on the changes but dsmash doesdoes feel like it has a bigger hitbox and Usmash either got better or some characters weight went down
No weights were changed with characters. I did a side-by-side last night, D-smash and U-smash still have the same hitboxes they've had since release. Same with F-tilt, F-smash, U-tilt, D-tilt (including tip), etc.

If you want, I'll do another side-by-side test tonight with some training partners. 3rd time is the charm as they say.

elmike

Smash Apprentice
No weights were changed with characters. I did a side-by-side last night, D-smash and U-smash still have the same hitboxes they've had since release. Same with F-tilt, F-smash, U-tilt, D-tilt (including tip), etc.

If you want, I'll do another side-by-side test tonight with some training partners. 3rd time is the charm as they say.
same hitboxes, damage and knockback?

Legato

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LLegato
I'm fairly positive fox is unchanged. I have jab locked ness and shulk both without fail and took the shulk for a ride across the stage, the salt was real. Played a G&W in FG the other night, a match-up I know fairly well. Uncharged usmash killed at 78-82% consistently as always has been the case. Boys, I think he's the same which I believe is wonderful. I haven't noticed anything about hit boxes being different, my spacing seems exactly the same.

Diagonal_Smash

Smash Apprentice
NNID
YayConformity
3DS FC
5069-4015-5843
Haha right been saying that dair leads to Usmash for the longest on here. His jab jab is still there it might even lead to jab jab to smash better nownow than it did before. Need to play more matches tho. Just seems like he got buffed just a tiny bit. He needed it since he can't kill with a throw at a good %. Uair definitely feels stronger. It usually doesn't kill 100-115. It was more like 120-130 on most characters. Of course I could be wrong on the changes but dsmash doesdoes feel like it has a bigger hitbox and Usmash either got better or some characters weight went down
No. up-air always killed like that.

Last edited:

moyshe

Lazer Fox
NNID
moyshe
3DS FC
4442-1379-8655
There aren't any changes I've noticed or anyone else for that matter, it would be nicer if he could kill at earlier percents but I'm pretty happy with Fox.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Considering the standard KO range seems to be 120% with other characters, I'm glad that Fox is capable of getting Up-smash KOs at 100% on most of the cast. It's even better that he has reliable traps into the move.

Top Bottom