• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox matchup

totesmagotes

Smash Cadet
Is it just me, or is this matchup even harder in PM? I've noticed that whenever I go up against a fox in PM lately, I get destroyed. In Melee, I've got my work cut out for me, and yeah its a hard matchup, but I can usually count on them making a mistake that I can capitalize on, then getting them off the stage. In PM, I CANT win the neutral! Is it PM, or is it just the people I've been playing against?

Manaconda

Smash Apprentice
On paper, compared to their Melee counterparts, Fox's neutral is worse and Peach's neutral is slightly better and her edgeguards are generally easier against this specific character. Fox's lasers are weaker, shine lost invincibility, Fox's Up-smash kills later on the same stages, etc.

But Fox is easier to use in PM while Peach takes about the same amount of effort to control in both games, so Foxes that aren't top level play with more ease. It could also be the people, though PM is a younger game so unless they're also Melee Foxes (which is very likely) they should generally be less experienced.

Your options are git gudder or really make your edgeguards count. One thing I rarely see PM Peaches do is float on stage directly from ledge and bair their opponents off. Against most characters it creates a 50-50 situation because you can't always react to their recoveries, but Fox's recovery is so telegraphed that once you have the ledge and your float, you can cover nearly every option on reaction.

totesmagotes

Smash Cadet
I didn't even know about the float-off-ledge trick until recently, I learned Peach from Melee. My habit against fox is to try and whack him with my crown (her f-air) while doing his firefox. I should try the back-float next time! Problem is in PM, the Foxes are so on-point with their tech , that they're rarely off-stage.

Last edited:

Manaconda

Smash Apprentice
There isn't much more Peach can do in PM that she couldn't in Melee when in neutral, but I'll try to think of small examples you might be able to integrate.

Utilt can now shark half a platform (Battlefield size obviously, not Norfair size or something huge like that), much better than her lackluster headbutt in Melee.

Her side special can cover pretty much all tech options on a platform except a getup attack (because it still has terrible priority, you really don't want your opponent to have any hitbox out, not even a jab). It's also now useful for finishing combos, especially with Fox's typically high hitstun. Some Peaches also use it for tech-chasing because she's incredibly slow and this move gives a pretty big lunge forward, but I have reasons to believe that dash attack is better. Still, try it out.

When caught in Fox's shield pressure with a turnip you can roll away from Fox and throw the turnip towards him with a glide toss, and you might get a conversion or you might risk the reflector doing its actual job. In Melee, you could only throw the turnip in the direction you were rolling, and your glide toss only went half as far, so this is an improvement. Aerial glide tossing is relatively worthless in this MU other than to suddenly change your horizontal momentum midair, and even then this scenario is even rarer than using a turnip to get out of shield pressure.

I can't really think of much else you can do. I would recommend watching some high level Peach vs Fox videos in PM but all the high level Peaches come from Melee and don't even integrate the PM stuff, so you might as well just watch it in Melee.

The last thing you could do is wait for the next patch (*knock on wood*).

Top Bottom