• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox is my main but I'm better with other characters.

Uzima (Uzi)

Smash Lord
I hate admitting this but I'm better with characters i don't play with as often as fox, I know tons about fox, lots of combos and strategies but I'm still better with Toon link and others.

I want fox to be my best. And i want him to be recognized as a really good character. but I'm stuck with the fact that he's not and I'm better with people i don't usually use.

Anybody else got this problem.

OnceAgain

Smash Cadet
I used to be TL, I used to be G&W. Fox is not as ez to win with, but TONS more fun because of the ability to string/combo their az off, instead of just spamming uber priority moves to build up dmg

Mokai

Smash Apprentice
Sometimes to get better with something you know inside and out it's first important to throw everything you thought you knew out the window. Does this make any sense? ^^;

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you say you know everything about him, but you still can't seem to get the results you want. My advice is to change tactics all together and try a new plan of attack. If you can employ a new, different strategy than your old one you could eventually get to the point where you can combine both tactics into one large strategy. If you could explain your current method of using Fox it might help. :)

Uzima (Uzi)

Smash Lord
I try shine spiking when the opportunity arrives. I sprinkle illusioning into the fight, dash into utilt to airial alot . dril shine and fire lasers when ever i can. I usually kill with bair or usmash.

FrostByte

Smash Lord
Your main is under the most pressure because;

1) They're your main. You expect to win matches with them and may be frustrated when you don't. This amplifies every time you lose.

2) People you play with know your playstyle with that character, they know what to expect. If you switch to a different character, it may throw them off guard.

3) No Johns.

orintemple

Smash Lord
Fox isn't my best character either, at least I don't win as easily. Just because I play Fox better than I play other characters overall, doesn't mean I will win with him over others. Fox is just not as good as characters like Toon Link, Marth, and Game and Watch, who I also play a fair amount. I can easily win many more matches with those characters, because they have more favorable matchups than Fox does. Fox is almost completely average in terms of matchup favorability.

That being said, it is the same for all people who main "non top or high tier material characters", they have to work harder, but the reward is more, because you stand out more when you win with a "bad" or "average" character who few people play rather than winning with a godly character who everyone and their mom play.

FreakingMethodiC

Smash Journeyman
Your main is under the most pressure because;

1) They're your main. You expect to win matches with them and may be frustrated when you don't. This amplifies every time you lose.

2) People you play with know your playstyle with that character, they know what to expect. If you switch to a different character, it may throw them off guard.

3) No Johns.
I know that feeling, i get pissed when i lose with fox, not so much with any of my other characters.

Fox isn't my best character either, at least I don't win as easily. Just because I play Fox better than I play other characters overall, doesn't mean I will win with him over others. Fox is just not as good as characters like Toon Link, Marth, and Game and Watch, who I also play a fair amount. I can easily win many more matches with those characters, because they have more favorable matchups than Fox does. Fox is almost completely average in terms of matchup favorability.

That being said, it is the same for all people who main "non top or high tier material characters", they have to work harder, but the reward is more, because you stand out more when you win with a "bad" or "average" character who few people play rather than winning with a godly character who everyone and their mom play.

Yeah me either, my Kirby, Bowser, MK, and PK are my top 4 atm. And oddly enough they aren't on my main or 2ndary list. I've been strivings sooo hard to play a good Starfox character that 'm soo close to doing it but i always fail at the end.

Not bragging cus i can't since these are only college freindlies... but when i first played Brawl @ my college my fox n falco where the top in the club, i won 2 back to back tourneys and lost the third. I was quite happy which what i achieve'd. But everyone else character has improved greatly and my fox only slightly, and we got about 3 Snakes over there 1 of them is a MLG player.

My fox kinda lagging behind and the development of my other characters are improving still but my fox technique isn't. Haven't gotta anything new for him in a while. Currently im the top Bowser at my play area and probolly might fit him into my line up as well as DIddy who i started using.

It's really hard days for fox. Sure everyone can argue fox is a great character and he is, but he needs something even small to spice up his game a little more.

Uzima (Uzi)

Smash Lord
Mind games are nice but they can only get you so far.

Theres gotta be something we've missed. something that we didn't check.
We need that one thing to keep us going. Anything to help him as a character.

BoredPeanut

Smash Journeyman
I really don't see what you guys are talking about. Fox is an amazing character. He's my main and I love him to death. He's definately my favorite and he's the one who wins me the most games. I do tend to get a lot more mad if I lose with him than if I lose with any other character. But, like they said, it's just because I hold him to high standards. I really don't think he needs anything to boost him up anymore than simply the player being able to read the opponent. He's got more than enough going for him already. Not that I wouldn't love to see more but still.

shinato91

Smash Apprentice
I'm very sad about all this things, we have to bring him back to life because only we can do this, as uzumaki said, we must have missed something, we have to work harder, for example, I'm having problems with pikachu right now but I know I can take my fox to other level and ignore all the other people say, we mustn't abandon him, I know we will find something...

full_95

Smash Journeyman
I dont get this?
I think it's a ******** saying. but it means no excuses. why they dont just say no excuses doesnt make any sense to me either. however, there is an epidemic of people using it to try and sound like some uber smasher. basically, everytime i see, "no Johns," my mind replaces it with, "im a huge douche, don't listen to anything i say."

i mean honestly it doesnt even apply in this thread. OP is just frustrated that his fox isn't as good as he wants it to be.

Edit: I just read frostbytes post again, and i confirmed that #3 doesn't make any sense within the context of his post or the context of this thread. simply stunning.

Top Bottom