• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox Improvements

NNID
Rektnator
I think a good improvement for Fox would be adding the ability to charge his Neutral B move into a big powerful beam and be able to walk or sprint while shooting lasers, giving a Star Fox series flavor; although he doesn't need any improvement with his proper move-set. His Up-B animation should be arranged, adding a re-skin costume of Fox wearing a jet-pack. It's more reasonable, since it's part of the game series. Fox move-set animation should have remained as Brawl's version. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Burning Boom

Smash Apprentice
Even as a non-Fox main just looking in on various character threads (know you enemy as they say), I can't see this being received too well. The charge laser might be a cool trick, but just using it as normal would still be much more practical, and lasers certainly don't need any kind of buff regardless. Also, when you say changed to a jetpack, do you mean change the actual move properties, or just re-skin the Fire Fox to have a jet pack, because people are pretty used to Fox's recovery at this point, and it's a fairly decent one, don't really see a need to change it from a functional perspective.

DJ _ICE

Smash Apprentice
The Melee veterans would be explode if they saw changes that huge to such an iconic character in Smash. Yes it makes sense Star Fox canon wise, but it does make it seem "hackish" which is something P:M wants to avoid. Also I think Fox's blaster is already such a powerful weapon that it doesn't need a change, much like the rest of his moveset.

NNID
Rektnator
Even as a non-Fox main just looking in on various character threads (know you enemy as they say), I can't see this being received too well. The charge laser might be a cool trick, but just using it as normal would still be much more practical, and lasers certainly don't need any kind of buff regardless. Also, when you say changed to a jetpack, do you mean change the actual move properties, or just re-skin the Fire Fox to have a jet pack, because people are pretty used to Fox's recovery at this point, and it's a fairly decent one, don't really see a need to change it from a functional perspective.
It could be seen as a jet-pack, but the re-skin Fire Fox is a great idea.

Last edited:
NNID
Rektnator
The Melee veterans would be explode if they saw changes that huge to such an iconic character in Smash. Yes it makes sense Star Fox canon wise, but it does make it seem "hackish" which is something P:M wants to avoid. Also I think Fox's blaster is already such a powerful weapon that it doesn't need a change, much like the rest of his moveset.
I see... well, at least it would be fun to walk or run with Fox while shooting lasers.

Last edited:

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
You really gotta stop going into character boards and advertising your ideas. If you wants them heard make a single thread in the general discussion at least. I am all for changes to fox but the changes you want are because you think it would be cool which frankly is frivolous to a characters gameplay design and should not be taken seriously.

NNID
Rektnator
You really gotta stop going into character boards and advertising your ideas. If you wants them heard make a single thread in the general discussion at least. I am all for changes to fox but the changes you want are because you think it would be cool which frankly is frivolous to a characters gameplay design and should not be taken seriously.
I am already done with ideas! By giving ideas, people create consciousnesses and then perhaps create ideas of their own, sharing them afterwards! I personally would love to see those changes, but at the end of the day it's not my choice to make them happen! As I already said, it doesn't harm anyone to just import new ideas whether they are good or bad!

Last edited:

Celestis

Smash Ace
I thought this thread was a joke at first. But your serious. I like how you titled it "Fox improvements" as if fox needs some kind of improvement.

The moves you are suggesting sound completely silly and break foxes character. The Melee community would never agree with such a thing.

NNID
Rektnator
I thought this thread was a joke at first. But your serious. I like how you titled it "Fox improvements" as if fox needs some kind of improvement.

The moves you are suggesting sound completely silly and break foxes character. The Melee community would never agree with such a thing.
Well, they're silly changes and I agree with your terms! Since PM:BR changed Wario's move-set based on Wario World and Wario Land game series and made minor improvements to Samus and Mewtwo based as well on their respective game series, I thought the team was looking for ideas to change other characters too, even if they're silly changes.

Alondite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Exaccus
There are already plenty of unprofessional, "hack-ish" things in PM. Samus' super wavedash and beam changes, Lucario's OHC and aura charge, just to name a few.

That being said, anything that changes Fox for the better is already a bad idea. If anything, Fox is in need of nerfs to make his moveset less polarizing.

Foxy K

Smash Journeyman
NNID
foxy_k
There are already plenty of unprofessional, "hack-ish" things in PM. Samus' super wavedash and beam changes, Lucario's OHC and aura charge, just to name a few.
*derail inbound*
What's hack-ish about the Samus and Lucario stuff? OHC is common in dozens of other fighters and aesthetically doesn't look any more weird than Snake's jab spam in Brawl. Samus had the SWD in Melee, and the beam changes are probably the smoothest, most natural-looking upgrade the PMBR added.

Hack-ish is Snake's cigarette taunt in a Nintendo game. Or Lucas's new neutral B that just charges his smashes and does nothing else. Or the character portraits for the alternate costumes that are very unofficial-looking. Or, hell, the looks-like-it-was-made-in-stage-builder Distant Planet restructure. The things you mentioned are all awesome and well done.

Alondite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Exaccus
SWD was glitchy and hackish-looking in Melee, too. OHC is a special case that only Lucario possesses that is inconsistent with the natural forms of the game (and counter-intuitive to SSB's core design at that), and changing states with a taunt is another special case that doesn't exist anywhere else in the game.

Snake smokes, whether or not it's in a Nintendo game is irrelevant because it's true to form. Lucas' nB isn't at all hack-ish; Wii Fit Trainer even has something similar. As for the other two, they aren't related to function and don't affect how the game plays like the examples I mentioned above.

Anywho, yeah, Fox isn't in need of buffs, but his game would be far less polarizing with nerfs to up air and up smash KBG.

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
I like the idea of a chargable Fox Laser personally, but it needs to be implemented in a way that it would not interfere with how Fox's laser works already. Personally I like the idea of when you hold Special, if you tap down, instead of rapid fire, it would instead start a charge. Granted I couldn't see the charge being anywhere as powerful as Samus or Mewtwo's charge, perhaps it charging into a super fast version of Falco's laser and then Wolf's laser?

Alondite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Exaccus
I thinking giving Fox's blaster a charge makes it overlap in function with some other projectiles in the game. You can't make it a power KO option, because Fox has already has plenty of those, leaving it to be like Falco or Wolfs, which undermines part of what defines their respective characters and makes them unique.

Top Bottom