• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox Haunts Me

ShadowzVoid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShadowzVoid
When I decided to play Melee I said that I don't want to use Fox ever because there would be no way I could get better using him since his learning curve is higher than most other characters and his tech isnt the easiest to learn. I also don't like the idea of "20XX" which is another reason I tried avoiding using Fox. A little while ago I tried him just to see how he feels and I liked his play style but couldn't do any of his tech which made me want to try to learn him. I don't know what to do and I know this probably seems childish but I'm being serious. Sorry if I'm a bother. Thanks for the help! :kirby:

I'm also still having conflicts between mains and I have my first tournament in a week! AAAH

AirFair

Marth tho
I could say to main who you want, but that wouldn't answer the question.

If you really feel good playing fox, go and play fox. There's no shame in it at all. I mean, most likely, somewhere down the road, you will want to pick up a secondary character for a tough matchup (like Sheik say) so it's not a big deal

I originally didn't want to play spacies either, yet I went to a tournament today and played Falco in bracket (lost that game but won the set with Marth lmaoooo) because I love Falco's combo game and pressure, which is perfectly fine, because I only use him on Marth's bad matchups, namely Sheik. I even bust out the Fox in friendlies occasionally

My advice is, if you have a tournament in a week, and want to do as well as possible, don't switch YET. Try out your Fox on some friendlies and see if someone will give you advice. But don't use him in tournament till you are comfortable with his tech.

Good luck man. Keep Shining.

ShadowzVoid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShadowzVoid
I could say to main who you want, but that wouldn't answer the question.

If you really feel good playing fox, go and play fox. There's no shame in it at all. I mean, most likely, somewhere down the road, you will want to pick up a secondary character for a tough matchup (like Sheik say) so it's not a big deal

I originally didn't want to play spacies either, yet I went to a tournament today and played Falco in bracket (lost that game but won the set with Marth lmaoooo) because I love Falco's combo game and pressure, which is perfectly fine, because I only use him on Marth's bad matchups, namely Sheik. I even bust out the Fox in friendlies occasionally

My advice is, if you have a tournament in a week, and want to do as well as possible, don't switch YET. Try out your Fox on some friendlies and see if someone will give you advice. But don't use him in tournament till you are comfortable with his tech.

Good luck man. Keep Shining.
Thanks!
I guess I'll stick with Falcon and Peach for the tourney, but I'll definitely try using Fox a bit in friendlies

AirFair

Marth tho
Yea no worries.

Fox is hella fun so I could see why you would like playing him. The reason I just can't main Fox is because I already am a solid Marth, and I enjoy it. Also the fact that I have a secondary Falco makes it difficult to switch between timings on tech when I already play Falco so often.

Just find a good Fox player, and ask them. I'm sure you will do fine regardless.

Sir Bubbles

Smash Journeyman
Use Fox if you want to use Fox, simple as that.

It's definitely best to switch to Fox after the tournament. Out-right best character in the game without a single MU he loses, with the only two characters that have it even are Marth and Falco. Infact, I think you should not do the tournament and just pay for the venue for friendlies if you have the choice.;

Characters like Falcon are getting increasingly harder to use, and many people using lower-tiered characters don't know what they're getting into. It's just a better choice in the long run, even if Fox is the overused choice.

AirFair

Marth tho
Well, I think you should enter the tournament. If you use Falcon/Peach, it will help you determine your footing on those characters. If you feel like you can make good progress then your whole decision changes. But then again, it's all up to you. I say enter the tournament regardless. You won't get noticed as easily otherwise.

ShadowzVoid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShadowzVoid
I'm already entered in the tourney so I'm going to play. I'm also entered in Smash 4 but that is WAAAAY before Melee starts and I dont take it very seriously. I'm going to use this experience to make my choice stable.

AirFair

Marth tho
Good on you then. Just for kicks, you should post in this thread after about your decision. I want to know lol :)

ShadowzVoid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShadowzVoid
Well, I got beat 0-2 and then sent to losers and lost 0-2 as well
I won $10 in money matches though :kirby:

I also played a bunch of friendlies and was told that my movement is very good but I need to work on my neutral game and advanced techniques. I was also told to focus on Falcon and Fox the most. It was also REALLY FUN

AirFair

Marth tho
Will ShadowzVoid stay Falcon, or will he give in to the temptations of 20XX? find out next time on, Dragonball Z.

BBOY15

Smash Apprentice
The reason I don't want to pick up Fox is because then I'd just be a worse version of most pro players. If I was a Fox main and got into the pro world, in Fox dittos it would be my lesser trained Fox vs their developed Fox. And since we'd each be playing as the same character, it would be hard for me to have the confidence to win since I'm just a worse version of them. But if I main Samus and have a Falco that I use against Sheiks, different characters will come into play which will get that less-developed thought out of my head.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Man, I hate his shine. Stinkin' shinespikes always ruining my day...

goobaje

Smash Cadet
Its cool that you got bodied tho. I entered a tournament a little while ago and got absolutely wrecked in pools, especially by KJH. It was a huge learning experience though, and I learned a lot through pools and also friendlies. Going to tournaments is always good, because people are always willing to give tips,

Modesty

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
ALIC#155
Its cool that you got bodied tho. I entered a tournament a little while ago and got absolutely wrecked in pools, especially by KJH. It was a huge learning experience though, and I learned a lot through pools and also friendlies. Going to tournaments is always good, because people are always willing to give tips,
So true. Getting my butt kicked in tourneys made ma better player.

Top Bottom