• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox E3 tourney

Status
Not open for further replies.

luigijerk

Smash Cadet
Fox looks much closer to melee fox than brawl. His upsmash is devastating. I think he will probably be back to high tier.

Rhus

We're going top speed!
Fox's Up smash has been nerfed quite considerably, which I am not happy about.

However, I will have to re-watch PPMD's performance, because I swear I saw him jump cancel his shine, but he definitely laser cancelled at least once (so yay that that's back in) and there was some potential issues regarding whether his shine still hits on activation or not, which it does.

Mighty_Guy100

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mighty_Guy100
Fox's Up smash has been nerfed quite considerably, which I am not happy about.

However, I will have to re-watch PPMD's performance, because I swear I saw him jump cancel his shine, but he definitely laser cancelled at least once (so yay that that's back in) and there was some potential issues regarding whether his shine still hits on activation or not, which it does.
I was watching a E3 match yesterday (sorry I forgot what it was called) and fox actually killed bowser at 108% with an U-smash on skyloft. Maybe it was just stale at the invitational?

Rhus

We're going top speed!
I was watching a E3 match yesterday (sorry I forgot what it was called) and fox actually killed bowser at 108% with an U-smash on skyloft. Maybe it was just stale at the invitational?
Yeah, I was watching some other vids and although everyone thinks it was nerfed, I really don't think it was hit that hard at all, because PPMD missed several Usmashes in the E3 tourney but when it was unstaled it almost killed Marth on the AC stage at like 70%.

I think staling is just really dramatic in this game, or at least, in that build.

Mighty_Guy100

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mighty_Guy100
Yeah, I was watching some other vids and although everyone thinks it was nerfed, I really don't think it was hit that hard at all, because PPMD missed several Usmashes in the E3 tourney but when it was unstaled it almost killed Marth on the AC stage at like 70%.

I think staling is just really dramatic in this game, or at least, in that build.
Good to know!

His U-air defiantly got nerfed in terms of power :(

I heard people say that D-air got nerfed but from what I've seen it still seems to combo.

Rhus

We're going top speed!
Good to know!

His U-air defiantly got nerfed in terms of power :(

I heard people say that D-air got nerfed but from what I've seen it still seems to combo.
Uair nerf is unquestionable from that build.

Dair was changed, I don't think it's a nerf. The last hit pops up now for some reason so he can juggle out of it, but if he lands before the move finishes it retains its drill properties and does not knock them away. This means he can likely still Dair>Usmash at higher percents if I was to hazard a guess.

Mighty_Guy100

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mighty_Guy100
Uair nerf is unquestionable from that build.

Dair was changed, I don't think it's a nerf. The last hit pops up now for some reason so he can juggle out of it, but if he lands before the move finishes it retains its drill properties and does not knock them away. This means he can likely still Dair>Usmash at higher percents if I was to hazard a guess.
The only nerf he got that I REALLY dislike is the absence of SHDL.
I really hope it's in the final game along with samus's missile cancel

Rhus

We're going top speed!
The only nerf he got that I REALLY dislike is the absence of SHDL.
I really hope it's in the final game along with samus's missile cancel
Yes. He seems fine otherwise but...

No laser cancel. It's beyond maddening for people like me whom devoutly play Fawks in every game. I really, really, really hope that it returns in the release copy of the game.

M@v

Subarashii!
Fox was high tier in brawl too, just not god/top tier.

-Your friendly neighborhood brawl fox mainer

Mighty_Guy100

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mighty_Guy100
Yes. He seems fine otherwise but...

No laser cancel. It's beyond maddening for people like me whom devoutly play Fawks in every game. I really, really, really hope that it returns in the release copy of the game.
Btw what do you think of foxes new voice? I didint like it at first but it grew on me.

Rhus

We're going top speed!
Fox was high tier in brawl too, just not god/top tier.

-Your friendly neighborhood brawl fox mainer
Not sure if this was directed at me or anything, but I'm aware. Fox has always been solid, but what has solidified him as a good character can be largely attributed to his laser cancelling and ability to out camp the whole cast, along with other components like an amazing Usmash and the highest mobility in every smash game.

I'm concerned that with his Shine and Lasers being heavily nerfed from Brawl, Fox may be one of the low/bottom tiers. Not that I won't main him still, but I would hate to see him be nerfed again so heavily.

EDIT: @ Mighty_Guy100 Mighty_Guy100 Some of his sayings are a little weird with his new voice, specifically his "Landmaster!" sounds a lot less awesome than it did in Brawl. I don't mind "Fi-yer" as so many other people do, and his scream(s) are fine (in tune with when you were shot down in SF64) but I really like his victory quotes with his traditional voice actor. I'm okay with his new voice, but I liked the deeper voice from Assault/Brawl more.

Last edited:

M@v

Subarashii!
Just this thread in general. Not calling anyone out or anything haha. Point is he hasn't been "bad" in any smash game because he has a solid moveset.

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Fox is not going to be a bad character. His recovery is greatly improved and he's one of the few characters I've seen performing combos on a semi-consistent basis. Sakurai also seems to have gotten rid of chaingrabs in this game, so this means we're less likely to see the kind of dumb matchups that held him back in Brawl. It's hard for him to shine in these early events because he doesn't do well in FFAs, but once people learn the kill % on his U-smash and figure out how to combo with him, he'll be a strong character.

Mighty_Guy100

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mighty_Guy100
Fox is not going to be a bad character. His recovery is greatly improved and he's one of the few characters I've seen performing combos on a semi-consistent basis. Sakurai also seems to have gotten rid of chaingrabs in this game, so this means we're less likely to see the kind of dumb matchups that held him back in Brawl. It's hard for him to shine in these early events because he doesn't do well in FFAs, but once people learn the kill % on his U-smash and figure out how to combo with him, he'll I just wanna see gameplay of the current build to see if there's any changes.
Yup

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Fox no longer has to worry about Grab Climbers, Sheik and Yellow Rat because chaingrabs are gone, and has better recovery and combo ability. Fox may be good in this game, aside from the fact that most of his flagship moves (Shine and Up Air for example) have been nerfed. And he seem to suck because in free for all he cannot combo anyone in peace.

Last edited:

Rhus

We're going top speed!
Fox no longer has to worry about Grab Climbers, Sheik and Yellow Rat because chaingrabs are gone, and has better recovery and combo ability. Fox may be good in this game, aside from the fact that most of his flagship moves (Shine and Up Air for example) have been nerfed. And he seem to suck because in free for all he cannot combo anyone in peace.

FFA's favour larger characters with broad hit boxes and strong kill power.

Fox has never been strong in FFAs because of it; he's light on his feet and gets killed easily, but attacks rapidly and moves fast, but has small hitboxes and mediocre melee range. So FFAs are never a good judge of any character's strength in 1v1 scenarios.

EDIT: Also to note is Fox is always a tougher character to play, so seeing him in really early stages of the game doesn't really flesh out his true potential.

Last edited:

Mighty_Guy100

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mighty_Guy100
Judging from the E3/comic-con demo, fox has great combo potential along with sheik and luigi.

PPMD was doing some pretty nice stuff, especially the dash-attack to U-tilt to N-air in the people's challenger match at E3.

M@v

Subarashii!
Fox and Robin are the two characters I'm probably going to be using most at launch, so I'll be messing around a lot with fox's moves, especially the new side b mechanics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom