• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox Dthrow DI?

TheNightRider

Smash Rookie
Is it possible to get the Dthrow combos when my opponent DI's out? I struggle really hard against opponents who DI out of my dthrow and shield my attempts to get the up tilt strings. D:

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
I think you can get a RAR bair if they DI away.

Also just in case you don't know RAR stands for reverse aerial rush which is where you run in a direction turn around and jump during your pivot animation so you can run in and do a bair.

For the utilt strings thing you just have to realize that it doesn't work at 0%. What you can do depending on the spacing is go for jab or a grab. Jab can true combo even at %s when another utilt won't and the grab is mostly a mixup since a lot of people shield expecting another utilt.

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
RAR bair works at super-low percents if they DI away. Anywhere from like 30% onwards, nothing is guaranteed.

DI out of utilt strings is easy enough to deal with: you can either pivot grab (if they DI down and away, then shield) standing grab (if they DI down in front of you and shield) or ftilt/fsmash (if they DI up and out on either side). You can do all that on reaction, too, no need to read.

TheNightRider

Smash Rookie
Although Fox's utilt leads into like every aerial, I don't know why everyone says that Fox has such a good combogame. His Dthrow combos are very limited and at mid - high % you only have your utilt and your killsetups which can be teched. Maybe I'm playing him wrong, but I won't say that I'm a bad Fox.

Kofeezy

Smash Rookie
Like someone said RAR bair is a good choice if they DI out, but sometimes I can sneak in a running up smash if they choose not to jump so it depends.

Tenretsujin10

Smash Apprentice
Although Fox's utilt leads into like every aerial, I don't know why everyone says that Fox has such a good combogame. His Dthrow combos are very limited and at mid - high % you only have your utilt and your killsetups which can be teched. Maybe I'm playing him wrong, but I won't say that I'm a bad Fox.
Fox doesn't really combo off of his grabs, since his grab options are rather limited. People say he has an insane combo game BECAUSE most of his moves link into each other well/do a ton of damage. He also has numerous guaranteed setups (that cannot be teched) and insane frame traps.

Hattie

Smash Rookie
I have to agree with Tenretsujin, Fox really does have an awesome combo game. His throw combos are possibly his biggest weakness period, but his aerial frame traps are ridiculous. Between around 50-90%, up tilt to up air is pretty much guaranteed. At the higher percents your opponent has time to air dodge before the up air connects, but nothing else. If they do air do, Fox falls so fast that he can land and punish the air dodge before your opponent has time to do anything = FRAME TRAP. His kill combos are also amazing (below 120% at least). Illusion to up air, down air to up smash, pivot f tilt to up smash, etc.

Back on topic, when it comes to following your opponent's DI, it's VERY character dependent. For heavy characters the forward air is much harder to avoid, similarly with light floaty characters. If your opponent DIs away, depending on character you can either RAR back air, or for an easier option, neutral air. Be careful though, as some characters (e.g. Luigi) can easily punish Fox's neutral airmen after being hit. As Kofeezy pointed out, up smash is also a fantastic option for a mix up, as your opponent will most likely be reluctant to air dodge so close to the ground, and any trade you make with Up smash is definitely going to come off worse for them. Even forward smash can work after a foxtrot or a couple of perfect pivots. In rare situations, such as if your opponent goes for a landing neutral air, you can shield and regrab.

Last edited:

Tenretsujin10

Smash Apprentice
Is foxtrotting useful for Fox? I don't really get why I should foxtrot instead of dashing.
Foxtrot is a very useful asset for Fox. Fox's foxtrot covers a great amount of distance and it's usage would apply to dipping in and out of your opponents comfort zone.

For example: You foxtrot at your opponent and pause for a moment to see the reaction of your opponent.
- If they throw out something laggy like a smash attack, you will be out of their reach and be able to land a punish.
- If they run at you, foxtrot away to retreat away from them, Fox is fast enough that you will not likely get hit on the retreat. If they commit to something like a dash attack or dash grab, you can just foxtrot back in for a punish.

foxtrotting is definitely something you should apply to your playstyle if you want to reach a higher level of play.

TheNightRider

Smash Rookie
Foxtrot is a very useful asset for Fox. Fox's foxtrot covers a great amount of distance and it's usage would apply to dipping in and out of your opponents comfort zone.

For example: You foxtrot at your opponent and pause for a moment to see the reaction of your opponent.
- If they throw out something laggy like a smash attack, you will be out of their reach and be able to land a punish.
- If they run at you, foxtrot away to retreat away from them, Fox is fast enough that you will not likely get hit on the retreat. If they commit to something like a dash attack or dash grab, you can just foxtrot back in for a punish.

foxtrotting is definitely something you should apply to your playstyle if you want to reach a higher level of play.
Do you mean normal foxtrotting or dance trotting?

Top Boss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PizzaMonkey24
3DS FC
2449-5103-4580
At above 100%,down throw up air is guaranteed if they DI in, which means you may be able to trick someone at the ledge with it.

Top Bottom