• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox dash attack pleb question

Saint Shaden 009

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
SAIN#490
As the title says, I'm having an issue with dealing with Fox's dash attack. I'm a pleb, I know.

My friend, who IS said Fox, and one other friend say I can just spot dodge. But, he spaces it so he ends up behind me and I'm wondering who to punish that. I was thinking WD back OoS and grab or dair OoS or something. So, would a spotdodge let me punish/keep me safe? Also a good punish OoS when he lands behind me. Thanks!

Wafflesaurus

Smash Cadet
NNID
Wafflesaurus
Dair out of shield (short hop, fast fall) if he hits your shield and ends on the other side of it, it can be done on reaction.
If you are not shielding you can also crouch cancel it to ridiculously high percents (like 100%)

Last edited:

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
Grab? Sheild grab? Especially if you see it coming (which you should if he's spamming it) those seem like they would work well seeing as Marth's grab range is so large.

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
Crouch-cancel or ASDI down. Marth can crouch-cancel Fox's dash attack until 106% in NTSC and 105% in PAL (http://smashboards.com/threads/how-high-can-you-go-a-database-of-crouch-cancel-percentages.281291/).

Spotdodge would work, but it's pretty overcommittal and therefore very vulnerable to mixups; something like a slight delay on the dash attack or a SHFFL nair is going to catch you out, as will dash-dancing to bait out the spotdodge. If you're grounded or very close to the ground you can just ASDI down on reaction with no commitment. You should pretty much always ASDI down when it's going to keep you on the ground (which is at lower percentages/against lower-knockback attacks); it's a habit you should get into as soon as possible.

Shield it or dash-dance away otherwise.

Last edited:

Saint Shaden 009

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
SAIN#490
Hmm, I didn't know that! Now, the DD part leads me to another problem I have: the infamous turn in place thing. I think it's just from not enough force put into it probably.

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
Hmm, I didn't know that! Now, the DD part leads me to another problem I have: the infamous turn in place thing. I think it's just from not enough force put into it probably.
Smash the stick harder. It's more difficult to dash backwards from a stand than it is to dash forwards; I can't remember the specifics, but I believe you have to move the stick into the dash zone within 1 frame to get a dash and not a tilt turn, while whatever you have to do to dash forwards is more lenient somehow. Kadano will have explained it somewhere.

If your controller has a loose stick this can be difficult. This is one of the main reasons you need a good controller for Melee.

Top Bottom