• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox Combo Vid: Shine X2!!!

DirectDK

Smash Cadet
Hello all! After a week of playing Brawl, I decided to make a few combo videos! I know after a few months, these combos will probably be outdated (and granted, I'm playing against CPs), but really I think it will give the people who haven't tried Brawl yet a good idea of how the game plays. I've always enjoyed and played Melee and 64 at a competitive level, so if you are like me, I think you'll enjoy watching these vids! Plus, it took me all of yesterday to edit these **** things. I got a little carried away with matching the shine spikes with the music. =P What can I say?!

Anyhow, here it is:
Fox Combo Vid (Youtube)
Fox Combo Vid (Gametrailers)
- If you'd like to download the original Xvid file, you can click here. -

Here are also a few things I noticed about Fox. Forgive me if these have been discussed already as I haven’t been scouring the boards too much as of lately:
- SHINE SPIKING STILL WORKS. It's true, it doesn't knock the opponent as drastically as before, but since Fox falls slower, it's possible to float around long enough to shine a second time.
- Drill-To-Shine sometimes works. From what I notice, if I start the drill early enough and it ends right at the time I touch the ground, I can shine without giving the opponent a chance to shield grab or counter attack. In fact, with the way the new mechanics work, I am often able to SMASH as soon as I land after a drill or other A move, before the opponent can do anything. Very cool.
- Back-Airs are MUCH harder to hit. Fox's very spammable Back-Air in Melee takes much more precise timing in Brawl, because it only hits for a short amount of time. It doesn't come out right away either. You really have to time the move perfectly. In Melee, I would do a quick short hop Back-Air constantly, but in Brawl, if you do the Back-Air as soon as you jump, the foot will go over the heads of majority of opponents.
- Up-Airs are also harder to hit. Fox doesn't jump as horizontally anymore. You really have to get Fox directly underneath the falling opponent and jump straight up. Fortunately, I think after some time, I'll get used to it, as will all of you too.
- Fox’s Up-B Recovery still has good range, but it's really easy to get caught underneath the bottom platform of stages now. Even though characters automatically grab the edge no matter which way they’re facing (very handy), if you are underneath and slightly to the left of the right edge (for example), you HAVE to aim your joystick at 1 to 2 o'clock to catch the edge. The bottom of platforms don't auto assist you to the edge anymore. It's like how characters would get stuck under Battlefield in Melee, but even more so now.

Hope you enjoy the vid! If you like it, I also uploaded a Yoshi video which I actually I'm more of a fan of anyways =P. You can find it HERE.

super_bacon807

Smash Apprentice
The shine spiking was cool, but my favorite part was at 4:07-4:09. It was like a Fire Fox "spike."

controlfreak7

Smash Ace
This makes me sad and confused =(. I was just wondering is it easier to shine the recovery coming at u? Cause it looks like it from the vid.

This makes me confused because its being done against a computer so u don't know how well those things will work and some of the stuff u did was really nice =P. Makes me want to test out some stuff too bad i don't have brawl my friend does and i don't get to play it again until this weekend T.T.

On the other hand this vid is really good for showing that shine spike is definitely still in.

listentomook

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the video, gives me much hope for my beloved fox (even though all i care about is sonic now). It looks like even though fox received alot of nerfs, he still plays pretty well.

Anyone else think that fox's fair looks buffed as hell? comes out rapid fast... i think his new style is gonna be based on this new buff.

Seison

Smash Journeyman
Nice vid DirectDK. Would have been nice to see some other opponents other than Falco, but still a great show of Fox's potential.

I am curious though, as someone above me was as well, is it easier in brawl than it was in melee to shine someone out of a firebird or firefox?

DirectDK

Smash Cadet
Thanks for all the nice comments guys! I'm glad you enjoyed watching the vid. Yes, Fox is definitely still good, and his Fair is indeed MUCH better than in Melee. It takes some time getting the last kick to hit though. Since the last kick is the one that actually sends the opponent far, it's pretty crucial to get it in. I noticed, that if I started the Fair as I'm rising in my jump, the chances are more likely to have all the hits connect. So, if I throw the opponent downwards so he bounces up, or just do a simple Uptilt, then the opponent would be in a pretty ideal position to do the Fair. I'm also so used to jamming down on the joystick as soon as I reach the top of my jump (to fastfall), but with the Fair it's probably better not to do that because otherwise the last kick won't connect.

I am curious though, as someone above me was as well, is it easier in brawl than it was in melee to shine someone out of a firebird or firefox?
Hmmm, it's hard to say. If you could do it fairly well in Melee, then you could definitely do it in Brawl, but I wouldn't say it's necessarily harder or easier. The only thing that took a while to get used to is that Fox falls slower and doesn't seem to be able to jump as horizontally anymore, which is why most of the time I shined Falco as he was returning, instead of during the charge up.

Unfortunately, since the computer Falco never seems to do the overB to recover, I haven't been able to try out the shine against that, but I always found that one easier to shine against in Melee than the firefox recovery. I wonder how Brawl will be though.

kobefox2485

Smash Apprentice
NNID
alfredo24pr
this is great and i saw a shine after after a dair, are the moves already canceled?? because ppl said there was no l cancel

Top Bottom