• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox Bidou Advantages and Disadvantages

JackThePwnzor

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jackthepwnzor0
NOTE: Knowledge of bidou is required about how to perform certain techniques.

This is just a general overview. I might add more/make an actual guide if people would like me to.

Pros:

1. Amazing movement options!
  • Frame perfect dash dancing made simple with practice, allows for crazy movement mindgames.
  • Perfect pivot crouches act as great retreat options, you can dash attack out of them, spot dodge, or just retreat more if needed.
  • Frame perfect shield drop fast falls, fast fall from ledge, and fast fall RAR autocancel bairs are made much easier.
2. Setups, combos, and ledge trumps made easier.
  • Perfect pivot up tilts made easier, allow for more consistent up tilt combo strings.
  • Ledge trump bair and SCAR Jump fastfall fair into footstool made easier/possible.
Cons:

1. Loss of C-Stick

• Possibly the biggest turn-off of bidou for most players. Fox players rely so much on c stick for attack that not being able to use it could make picking up bidou impossible for some players.
  • Loss of consistent autocancel up airs.
  • Perfect pivot tilts made slightly slower if trying to avoid accidental smash attacks.
2. Controls are weird as hell.
  • Grab needs to be set to X or Y if wanting to fully maximize bidou.
  • Loss of c stick mentioned.
  • Holding down shoulder button can be a pain.
  • GameCube controller loses effectiveness because of lack of fourth shoulder button.

In conclusion, I think that bidou IS worth the absolute pain of adapting to it, but fox loses so much that adapting can be near impossible. Guide might be created for bidou options if people want it.

Lazlo_Bananas

Smash Cadet
I believe Fox, ironically, is gonna gain the most from Bidou. I think you guys should go for it if your willing to put in the time. The issue is unlearning your controls. The only thing I can offer advice for is to just let someone body you while you have those controls until you get used to it and can do things consistently.

D

Deleted member 269706

Is there a way to consistently sh-uair with Bidou? I feel if we can find a way to do that, then there would be almost no reason not to use Bidou when playing Fox

obscurica

Smash Rookie
Is there a way to consistently sh-uair with Bidou? I feel if we can find a way to do that, then there would be almost no reason not to use Bidou when playing Fox
sh-(x)air inputs in general aren't actually difficult on Bidou, as it just requires you to flick both R and R2 in rapid succession -- extremely easily done on the pro controller. NOT recommended on the partial-bidou Gamecube setups I've seen around, as the fatty shoulder buttons prevents the flick.

sh-(u)air specifically is a bit difficult, though, as the game wants to default that into usmash instead.

Clock Tower Prison

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5215-3120-4820
I believe Fox, ironically, is gonna gain the most from Bidou. I think you guys should go for it if your willing to put in the time. The issue is unlearning your controls. The only thing I can offer advice for is to just let someone body you while you have those controls until you get used to it and can do things consistently.
Could not agree more Fox and Little Mac I see as the premier Bidou users.

WULFN

Smash Apprentice
The only problem I see with using Bidou is the loss of the C-stick/Second stick. Being able to keep your momentum going then tapping the stick to perform the desired action (if on attack) helps with consistent follow ups. Having to roll the Control stick up to do upairs will prevent follow ups on characters like Yoshi and such since you lose out on some of that momentum. Been messing with it lately and surprised at how much you get out of using the second stick and jump on trigger.

TemplarAnimated

Smash Cadet
NNID
TemplarAnimated
Fox Bidou Player here,

I would say its mostly worth it, the loss of c-stick aerials is a large blow, but there are a number of advantages for Bidou players. For one, being able to quickly perfect pivot to elongate up tilt strings and use forward tilts at opponents a longer distance away for a kill setup into tech chase Up smashes is very nice. Along with everything else from frame perfect ledge trumping, easy fox trotting and being able to chase from down throw much more effectively (Thanks to 100% acceleration from Bidou) even against DI-ing opponents, a Bidou only technique, is rather helpful.

Its an amount to get used too, but even with Uni Exams and Coursework I got use to the control set up and having Bidou active at any point in time in less than 2 months and that included changing from Gamecube Controller to Classic. Nowadays I'm just trying to work out when its best to use it.

The funny part about Fox though is he hardly ever uses his specials when not recovering, so despite Bidou not allowing the player to use specials, its actually much of an issue at all. The only problem it provides is using shine to reflect mid-Bidou is a bit strange, but with C-Stick set to special, executing it is just one input of the stick, rather than a B button and down.

But one thing to mention is I use the Classic Controller instead of the Gamecube Controller now, so I do have all 4 controller buttons.

Haecceity

Smash Rookie
NNID
Haecceity
You don't lose the ability to c-stick aerials with bidou, it just has to be input like a smash attack since the c-stick provides one frame directional input. Just tap a direction+attack and you'll do your desired aerial.

Top Bottom