• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Four Things that I Shall Bring Up...

Patinator

Smash Champion
I HAD made this earlier, but my internet conked out on me. >_>

Alright, two things have to do with the Wolf Flash, and two things have to do with Wolf's D-Air.

Point one on the Wolf Flash:

I've managed to use the initial "slash" hit of the WF to hit someone into the sweetspot via the use of freeze-frames. This can only be done, tournament-wise, on Castle Siege's second tier. I've hit someone with the initial hit of the WF, then the sweetspot came out on a statue.

So, typically, it'd sound like...

*WUH, hu-ah!* *Slash* *Crumble*

But...

*WUH, hu-ah!* *Slash* *KRRSHHPCKLSH!!!1!*

So, yeah. Castle Siege may just end up being a good counterpick for Wolf Flash-users like me. :bee:

Point two is similar to the above. What I did was abuse freeze frames, which are exactly what it sounds like: frames where, when a move makes contact with an object, the user is frozen. In Brawl, it occurs with ALL attacks, as told by, say, using Pit's N-Air and then using it on a Sandbag or opponent. The attack seems and sounds slower.

But some, like the Wolf Flash sweetspot and Ganonspike, have LOADS of them, basically giving your opponent time to think: "That's it, I'm ****ed." Anyway, if you hit an invincible object or a Sandbag with a move like that, said invincible opponent or Sandbag doesn't freeze, and the hitbox stays put. This has been used by me; I use the Wolf Flash on someone a bit more than a second into their post-death invincibility. I freeze, as does the hitbox, and they take 10-15%. Does anyone have thoughts on those two things?

As for the other two: they deal with Wolf's D-Air, a potent Meteor Smash.

Point one: Does anyone have an opinion on what I call, Spike Juggling? Essentially, it's the repeated use of a character's Meteor Smash D-Air, hitting them up and then, depending on percentage, hitting them up just as they land or slamming them down. Falco, Ganondorf, and Wolf are pretty good at it, Wolf being the least effective however.

As for the second point, it's also similar to point one. When a character gets slammed to the ground by a Meteor Smash, they seem to suffer from "excess hitstun". by fast-falling down, you can easily get in a D-Smash, D-Tilt, F-Smash, etc., and it'll be inescapable if you act quick enough. With G-dorf alone, I've done 36% with a Ganonspike > Ganon Kick (Wizard's Foot).

Is ANY of this worth mention? Am I wasting my time? Am I making myself look like an idiot?

(And please, no TL;DR nonsense. If you have no time to read this, you have no time to be here. >_>)

Yinlong

Smash Journeyman
for the first two points: i think those ideas are really neat and clever! maybe call it WF auto sweetspot?

as for the other two, i guess any combo is worth mentioning, urs sounds particularly nasty, maybe submit it to the combo list. i think its in tactical discussion

snadmonkey

Smash Journeyman
I find the delay applied to wf in lots of situations will hurt u more than help. A good example is sweetspotting a thrown pikimin giving oli plenty of time to upsmash or whatever it is he wants to do.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
An addition to point four (the nly one I got 100% for now): I like dair -> usmash

§witch

Smash Lord
Spike juggling is basically pillaring from melee, but w/e. Wario's bike has helped me spike with the side b before.

Yinlong

Smash Journeyman
i did that sweetspot thing on two CPUs this morning
ahha killed them both o.o

Patinator

Smash Champion
for the first two points: i think those ideas are really neat and clever! maybe call it WF auto sweetspot?

as for the other two, i guess any combo is worth mentioning, yours sounds particularly nasty, maybe submit it to the combo list. i think its in tactical discussion
Thanks, Yinlong. I’ve thought of three ever-creative names for the first two ideas…

Patinatoring.

Patinator Wolf Flash Sweet-Spot Invincibility Cancel-Cancel (O_O).

And, Wolf Flash Hax-Spot.

…Or what you suggested.

As for the second half, I think I might do that. After all, more combos = more inescapable stuff, ha-ha-ha. (XD) My “Spike Juggling” name (Along with “Spike Comboing”, I guess) still stands.

Letterbomb: So... I found a Brawl version of Pillaring? I am SO leet, ha-ha. :bee:

Snadmonkey: I'm... Maybe my reflexes aren't up to snuff, but the Wolf Flash freeze frames last a second, take a few miliseconds. I can't fathom someone reacting to that, especially at the distance of a Pikmin Throw... o_O;;; But then again, who would Wolf Flash a Pikmin? Poor thing. :mad:

*Shakes head* Anyway, guys, are any of these decent things to do? I may have done somethin' big here...

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Those sound pretty nice, but the 'spike juggling', its techable, right? And the one where you wf on an invincible opponent or something (I'm just going to call it freeze-framing because it makes sense) could be useful but I think it depends on wf's priority. I mean, if it had high priority, you could freeze frame and if someone tried to take advantage of you being stuck there the priority would keep you safe, but they could still charge a smash... Either way though, people would probably catch on after the first time you used it but hey, at least its usable.

EDIT: Wasn't that secnond point that you made basically application of what was going on in this thread that nobody paid attention to? He was talking about using it at the ledge, but nobody really tried it. Here's the link in case anyone wants to see the thread http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=190171

itz al gon b k!

Smash Rookie
I usually can only hit with the good part of flash on big characters or if I get lucky, while scarring. I'll try using it more with these techniques. But, judging by my aim/precision, I doubt I'll land a lot.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Yeah, the link is somewhat tough to understand, he's saying that if you use wf towards the ledge and hold down, like scarring, but actually HIT the ledge, you'll just stay there for the duration of the normal attack(like what would happen if you used it when someone was edgehogging) and the hitbox stays out. Sorta like the same idea, but it doesn't extend how long the hitbox lasts, making it less useful. Could work for edgeguarding or something though.

And for 'spike juggling', that means Wolf's dair would have to beat out the opponent's uair... how many characters have difficulty stopping wolf's dair? It would probably be hard to use on people with quick uairs with good reach, such as lucario.

Patinator

Smash Champion
Yeah, the link is somewhat tough to understand, he's saying that if you use wf towards the ledge and hold down, like scarring, but actually HIT the ledge, you'll just stay there for the duration of the normal attack(like what would happen if you used it when someone was edgehogging) and the hitbox stays out. Sorta like the same idea, but it doesn't extend how long the hitbox lasts, making it less useful. Could work for edgeguarding or something though.

Ah, I see! It's somewhat similar to my Wolf Flash freeze-frame abuse. Thanks for clearing that up.

And for 'spike juggling', that means Wolf's dair would have to beat out the opponent's uair... how many characters have difficulty stopping wolf's dair? It would probably be hard to use on people with quick uairs with good reach, such as lucario.

That's what being unpredictable is for. ;) Really, though, that's true. But then, I only pull it out once every three or four matches. Against humans at a tournament environment, it'd probably come as a surprise.

"WTF I JUST GOT SPIKED MUST ROL- NOO I GOT HIT UP AGAIN MUST AIRDO- NUEZ I GOT HIT DOWN MUST RO- OMFG WTF IZ DIS I GOT HIT DOWN MUST MOV- NOOOOO I DIED FROM DSMASH NUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!1!"
Comments in gray. This IS the Wolf board.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
"WTF I JUST GOT SPIKED MUST ROL- NOO I GOT HIT UP AGAIN MUST AIRDO- NUEZ I GOT HIT DOWN MUST RO- OMFG WTF IZ DIS I GOT HIT DOWN MUST MOV- NOOOOO I DIED FROM DSMASH NUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!1!"
Comments in gray. This IS the Wolf board.
Sig'd.

Is it possible to use this setup for a nair lock? That might be a good alternative for racking up damage instead of killing people. Or that jab cancel grab release chain thing, if anyone is having success with that.

Patinator

Smash Champion
Sig'd.

Is it possible to use this setup for a nair lock? That might be a good alternative for racking up damage instead of killing people. Or that jab cancel grab release chain thing, if anyone is having success with that.
OMG! I actually got sig'd! That said, anyone's sig is automatically made awesome by quoting the Patinator. That is a lesson everyone needs to learn... :)

[/idiot] Anyway, I'm fairly unfamiliar with this... "N-Air Lock"? And I barely understand this jab cancel release chain... ._.;

Patinator

Smash Champion

Argh.

What happened was, my opponent was hit by the initial hit of the Wolf Flash- the part that does 3%, with a slash noise. BUUUUUT, they got knocked into the sweet-spot because Wolf- and the hitbox- were frozen from hitting the statue.

Capiche?

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Yay for being awesome!

Back to business. The nair lock, there's a thread on it somewhere around here, I think Candy started it. Basically FF uair into a tall opponent, then quickly footstool them, FF nair into them but don't hit with the initial hitbox that has knockback. Then, SH FF nair over and over without hitting with the initial knockback, and there's your lock. So pretty much its a jab lock with nair, but its very VERY situational.

And for what you and Sesshomuronay are talking about, I just messed around with that for a while on Castle Seige, and it honestly doesn't seem like something that should be done with the intention of getting both hits, just not that reliable. Still really cool though, a neat way to get 13 damage and confuse your opponent :psycho:

This post is ending up a lot longer than I meant it to, but whatever. What are your thoughts on Castle Seige overall? The walk-off part is bad against DDD but otherwise I don't think its too bad, walljumping on the first stage helps wolf to avoid getting caught under the ledges, and for some reason I can land ftilts that only hit with the last hit very easily on the tilting area. Anyone use it as a counterpick?

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I never used it as a counterpick. The only character, I have to use a counterpick against is Falco but Norfair works better imo.

Castle Siege prevents Wolf from using his best tactics. Maybe I'll try to fight on it a little more

Patinator

Smash Champion
I never used it as a counterpick. The only character, I have to use a counterpick against is Falco but Norfair works better imo.

Castle Siege prevents Wolf from using his best tactics. Maybe I'll try to fight on it a little more
Well, oddly enough, my little double-hit WF hack has been popping up more recently.

But not on Castle Siege! o_O; It actually has something to do with the angle and time you hit with.

Yes you can. Listen to Gheb, or use the friend finder. www.smashboards.com/ff
Wow. This is the first time I've seen a moderator post in a semi-casual manner outside of the Pool Room...

Worst falco stage is pirate ship guys. No chain spikes.
*Spits coffee on LB's face*

WHUT

Don't tell me that vile place is counter-pick.

Patinator

Smash Champion
Pirate Ship is good against Falco pat
It's not good against ANYBODY with all those big 55% bombs blastin' your face inside out. It's like I imagine that freaky XBox360 Bomberman game is like! O_O

But, I guess that's true, in all seriousness. >_> But anyone can win a match there if they just push their opponent into the bombs, the bow, and the catapult.

Bah, oh well. Wolf's better off with it. I'm assuming Falco is our worst match-up? *Is not up-to-date*

Top Bottom