• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Forward's snake tricks

forward

Smash Champion
What up guys, I've been playing brawl the past 3 days and have been using snake almost exclusively. He's much much different than any smash character from before, and difficult to use, so I'm finding the challenge for him rather enjoyable.

If you shield after pulling a grenade snake drops it on the ground. You can then pick it up and carry it like a normal item, giving you the chance to throw it up.

I like to use these similar to mines. I'll pull a grenade and roll back, plant a mine and roll back, then nikita towards the air hoping the opponent tries to jump over my traps.

Another series I use is throw a regular grenade, drop a grenade and roll in, then up smash. This gets an explosion in front, on top, and behind your character.

Sometimes I'll pull a grenade just for defense. It's not always easy to stop the opponent from approaching, so I'll shield after pulling a grenade, and then they blow up from attacking me.

I'll also pull grenades as I recover and hang on to them, so if the opponent hits me then they too will take damage. Since snake is pretty heavy you can give them a lot of damage before you die. The grenades don't always blow up tho so it's not super reliable.

For a ledge guard I'll run and jump off the stage and reverse grenade, this turns me around and sets me up to back air the opponent, if I miss the opponent they have a grenade waiting for them on the stage.

Another trick I like is to throw the grenade close to me, then dash attack at it to pick it up, then shield till it explodes. The dash attack ends pretty fast and can easily bait the opponent. You can also catch it with an aerial from throwing it close, for me I like using f airs to catch it. The grenade will blow you up because the lag from f air, but it least it covers you from your opponent.

I spam up smashes. The coverage they give you on the way down makes attacking with tilts and jabs much safer.

I only land c4 explosions occasionaly, I mostly use it for scare tactics. For example I have a c4 on the right side of the stage, and I'm on the left. I throw the opponent towards the explosion and then forward smash. I expect them to jump away from the c4 and into my f smash.

You can break up his jabs and tilts for your own style of attacks. I like f tilt (first hit), jab, d tilt. Also, using one attack at a time, and timing them slowly will help you catch people who try to roll around you.

The f smash is amazing, but hard to land, so I've been searching for set ups on that. After an up tilt I'll try to combo an up smash, once they get used to that they will avoid the up smash, thats when I go for an f smash in case they land to the side of me. If they begin going too far away after the up tilt I'll chase them with a nikita missle.

That's all I can think of for now, I'll be playing again today looking for more tricks, happy smashing!

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
That's very interesting... plus Snake looks fun to use.

However, about Snake's up B... it would look like the flying camera can be knocked out of Snake's hands, making him helpless:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lf-E5bTpxOY

I just wondered if you found a way of going up whitout using the camera?

Edit: according to the youtube user, the camera can be *grabbed* out of Snake's hands.

Kruton

Smash Ace
Awesome, thanks for helping my Snake game.

Going to TGP tomorrow to test this **** out XD

Parthenon

Smash Apprentice
Crap. Now that a known-name like Forward is using Snake, I'm not cool and unique for using him.

I like how every technique has grenades. MOAR NADES. I like using them too, except everyone mains Pit and his arrows shaft grenades hardcore.

Forward, if you can, try to figure out the hitbox for sticking C4 on people. I had some luck pulling it off in the air, so I think it's like rest where you have to be on top of people.

A New Challenger

Smash Apprentice
Former Jiggly player, new Snake main here. Anyway, works just like rest to stick the C4, and if you're quick enough you can land and go right into a utilt then detonate the c4. Pretty damaging.

Ryuker

Smash Lord
I managed to stick a few on them accidentaly. It's awesome if you do cause well they are pretty much done for after you rack some quick percentage. XD. I think each time I did it I was in the air. Dunno if this will prove usefull later on but against Ike was able to fire the nikita at a very close range and then just drop the missile in front of him by pressing L . He can't punish you on the nikita that way and you can roll into his shield which will often hit him.

I haven't tried much stuff yet with the grenades. You got some interesting tactics with them I'll try some of them.

The Enemy

Smash Apprentice
Thanks Forward. I'm glad such a high-level Melee player has decided to play Snake.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Snake's twist on the ever-popular quote:

"Mine-gamez son!"

Yes, you read it here first i coined that term. read it and weep. :p

A New Challenger

Smash Apprentice
Something else worthy of note is that if you hold down b for the grenade, then grab them, the dropped grenade explodes send the opponent straight up and snake doesn't recoil from the explosion as he usually would. Same works with the landmine - lay one, right by the opponent, then grab them, and start using a attacks while still in grab - the mine explodes, and Snake stays put. Still takes the damage, though.

Also, you can plant a mine, stay standing on it to trigger the explosion and roll back or stationary dodge the second as it explodes for a decent mindgame punish.

metahunter

Smash Apprentice
for that 3 way explsion idea how about drop a C4 insteadof droping a greade other than that great ideas snakes my second main so ill go try them out

Top Bottom