• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Forward Throw Setups

N7S

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NathanSovik
The Basics

Here are some examples: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7dCtY-5P7JI https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ce9-oRMYorM

Forward throw to a Dash Attack is a relatively simple combo setup that Falcon has that can work on almost the whole cast from 0-30%. This can lead to some follow ups like juggling Up-Airs and maybe a surprise randy knee to throw off your opponents. It's a good mixup instead of doing Downthrow to Nair and this like Downthrow to Nair can lead to some crazy follow ups if their DI is read correctly and you punish accordingly. Air Dodge baits can happen after this setup if you start juggling them with Up-Airs which can lead to some Knee and Dair punishes that everybody loves so much. Stages like FD, Smashville, and T&C are good for this because of their platform or no platform placements. It can be done at all stages though, but they're slightly more difficult to perform on because of their platform placements. Some characters can mash out in time after the dash-attack with a fast move to break the combo so keep that in mind and respect it so you don't get hit by it. It's a good setup to try for beginners and the weak hit of dash attack can lead to more follow ups at later percents than a normal dash attack would.

Jab Locks

This setup is a good missed tech punish on heavy or fast falling characters. If Falcon does a dash grab forward throw and their opponent misses their tech, a Dair or Downwards Angled Reverse Forward Tilt will put them into a jab lock. With the Dair variation you'd want to throw in a downwards angled forward tilt then do a follow up. With the reverse downwards forward tilt variation, do another downwards angled forward tilt as well except this time facing your jab locked opponent. If done correctly, you'll be able to follow up with a combo like Up-Air to Up-Tilt, Up-Air to Grab, and etc. This is a good setup to do near the ledge since it forces your opponent into a bad and predictable recovery position. Characters like Bowser, DK, Dedede, Falcon, Ganon, Sheik, and Link get punished by this due to their fast falling speeds and being hard to react to after being forward thrown by Falcon. At later percents this doesn't become as useful due to more knockback on the forward throw. With rage and staling in effect this doesn't become as useful so make sure Falcon is between the 0 to about 75% range to try it.

Combo Setups With Rage

Forward throw Nair with rage is good DI mixup if your opponent is at low percents and you have rage. It works similarly to Downthrow to Nair so you can throw your opponents off by doing that. This setup in particular works on pretty much the whole cast and is relatively unused when Falcon has rage. Only high priority or fast moves like Pac-Man's Nair & Up-B, Luigi's Nair, Yoshi's Nair, Game & Watch's Up B, Little Mac's Up-B, Ryu SF4 Shoryuken, and Marth/Roy/Lucina's Up-Bs can get out in time if mashed. Like Downthrow to Nair, you can Nair chain your opponent and follow up with Up-Airs as the percent racks up.

Hope this helps for all aspiring Falcon's out there. I'm going to start doing calculations on all these percents and setups in the future to hopefully find more data on Falcon.

Show your moves!!!!

~NathanSandwich

Last edited:

KnightFF

Smash Cadet
NNID
Crazyronan3000
Very good info I always new forward throw->dash attack->Up airs was a thing but not forward throw with rage to neutral air.

D

Deleted member 269706

Awesome information, can't wait to try implementing this into my gameplay. I would love to see a video posted demonstrating these techniques.

N7S

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NathanSovik
Awesome information, can't wait to try implementing this into my gameplay. I would love to see a video posted demonstrating these techniques.
I'll try to upload a YouTube video with some examples of it. I don't have any recording equipment sadly so I have to resort to uploading with the Wii U.

D

Deleted member 269706

I'll try to upload a YouTube video with some examples of it. I don't have any recording equipment sadly so I have to resort to uploading with the Wii U.
Hey beggars can't be choosers, right? Haha, I'll take just about anything I can get.

TheSausXL

Smash Cadet
Lol thanks for posting this. It always gets on my nerves that a lot of Falcons exclusively use down throw because they don't know the potential of forward throw. Good stuff man.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
You forgot something rather important that is : the effective DI for Dthrow and Fthrow compliment each other.

Which means that if people DI your Dthrows well (away from you) then it is the perfect DI for you to get follow ups on Fthrow and vice versa.

So in short you want to vary your throws when your opponent catches up and starts DIing effectively. Use Fthrow because everyone expects Falcon to use Dthrow, then when they start DIing up switch to Dthrow so they DI into your Uairs and knees. Rinse and repeat.

N7S

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NathanSovik
You forgot something rather important that is : the effective DI for Dthrow and Fthrow compliment each other.

Which means that if people DI your Dthrows well (away from you) then it is the perfect DI for you to get follow ups on Fthrow and vice versa.

So in short you want to vary your throws when your opponent catches up and starts DIing effectively. Use Fthrow because everyone expects Falcon to use Dthrow, then when they start DIing up switch to Dthrow so they DI into your Uairs and knees. Rinse and repeat.
Thanks for adding some additional information. I'll edit the post sometime later to include more data and footage on these forward throw uses. Falcon can improve a lot from this.

N7S

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NathanSovik
Very good info !
I also found out about it very recently (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJAgqly8JFw&index=6&list=PLHaX755LkEKKTVsL1rRbLGZe9ca-PVs0n , 50% combo and uair knee in training) and i plan on making a video about it since i think it is fairly promising !
This has amazing potential Kesa. We can definitely get somewhere with these setups. Also in training mode rage and staling is not in effect so this could be used without rage as a good throw mixup. I watched your VODs when you were in NorCal at the Foundry. Awesome job dude!!! Took a lot of notes from your play. Hope you can come to NorCal again soon so I can meet you.

KnightFF

Smash Cadet
NNID
Crazyronan3000
I can't wait for a guide on f-throws I think I could be a very good mix-up especially kesas combo. Very good thing going here N7S ;)

N7S

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NathanSovik
I can't wait for a guide on f-throws I think I could be a very good mix-up especially kesas combo. Very good thing going here N7S ;)
Thanks. Really hope to push Falcon to his limits.
Managed to discover that around 15-25% that Forward Throw to Nair to Up-Air is a true combo on certain characters. I'll go into more details after I've done some testing with the DI on this combo setup.

Here's a video example tested on Rosalina: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7dCtY-5P7JI

D

Deleted member 269706

That Fthrow > Dair is ridiculous. I was playing on FG for the first time in months (I haven't had a set-up so I've only been playing at tourneys and apartments for the last semester) and some FG Falcon pulled that off on me and followed up with a Knee. Needless to say I was blown away by it, had no idea how ridiculous these could get. Also great videos from everyone in the thread, love what I'm seeing.

KnightFF

Smash Cadet
NNID
Crazyronan3000
That Fthrow > Dair is ridiculous. I was playing on FG for the first time in months (I haven't had a set-up so I've only been playing at tourneys and apartments for the last semester) and some FG Falcon pulled that off on me and followed up with a Knee. Needless to say I was blown away by it, had no idea how ridiculous these could get. Also great videos from everyone in the thread, love what I'm seeing.
That sounds really cool! What percent were you on? By any chance did you save the replay?

D

Deleted member 269706

That sounds really cool! What percent were you on? By any chance did you save the replay?
I did save the replay. I'll try and upload it later tonight (can only do 30fps cause I don't have a capture card). I was also at pretty low percent. After the knee I was at 44% to give you an idea.

UzakiuzuG

Smash Journeyman
:o Untapped potential for F-throw ayeee keep up the great work Falcon board. When I get my wii u back hopefully Christmas we can get some testing going. Maybe find some solid follow ups or great tech chasing.

N7S

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NathanSovik
I can confirm that if the oppoennt does not DI away or down from the dash grab forward throw that forward throw to up air is a true combo. It mostly works on floaty characters.
I'm getting a Mac soon so I'll be able to record some footage soon.

D

Deleted member 269706

How does all this work on Mario and characters in his weight/fall range?

D

Deleted member 269706

Here's that clip I was talking about. I tried to upload from the console to YouTube but got errors several times. Eventually just settled for this:

N7S

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NathanSovik
Here's that clip I was talking about. I tried to upload from the console to YouTube but got errors several times. Eventually just settled for this:

Only have seen this get pulled in combat 2 other times. The only hard thing is that you have to react fast to their missed tech. It really only works on fast falling or heavy characters due to it being harder to react to. A lot of Falcon stuff at around 0-29% that lead to the opponent having to tech can lead to a potential jab lock from Dair. Gentleman to Dair can do this too. I have a write up about it that I can post in a separate thread.

D

Deleted member 269706

Only have seen this get pulled in combat 2 other times. The only hard thing is that you have to react fast to their missed tech. It really only works on fast falling or heavy characters due to it being harder to react to. A lot of Falcon stuff at around 0-29% that lead to the opponent having to tech can lead to a potential jab lock from Dair. Gentleman to Dair can do this too. I have a write up about it that I can post in a separate thread.
Yeah it's not all too useful but it can be really good when pulled off. I find that Fthrow > Dair > (Ftilt? >) Usmash is the best way to go as Usmash ties with Fsmash for the most amount of damage, but also sends the enemy up where you can follow up with uair juggling. While the Usmash to Uair isn't true, landing a few uairs makes the whole thing a 60%~ string with possibilities of more follow ups.

N7S

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NathanSovik
Yeah it's not all too useful but it can be really good when pulled off. I find that Fthrow > Dair > (Ftilt? >) Usmash is the best way to go as Usmash ties with Fsmash for the most amount of damage, but also sends the enemy up where you can follow up with uair juggling. While the Usmash to Uair isn't true, landing a few uairs makes the whole thing a 60%~ string with possibilities of more follow ups.
It can be a good percent gain if pulled off. It's pretty tough trying to get a death combo off of Forward Throw Dair. A turnaround down smash would be good too because the back hit is safe on shield.

Top Bottom