• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Forum Game: If I Were Sakurai

Status
Not open for further replies.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Welcome one and all to the If I were Sakurai Roster. Some of my friends did this on Youtube a while back, and I felt like bringing this back, only to you guys! In this you take each roster from each Smash Bros. game and basicly edit it to what you would have if you were Sakurai, hence the name. You can cut as many characters as you want from the original rosters and replace them with other characters. Don't like Jigglypuff? Don't add him. Don't like Toon Link, you don't have to add him either.

Rules
Now in order to keep this Semi-realistic, we need to have some rules.
-You can't add anymore characters the original roster had, so if you did Smash Bros. 64, you can't add more than 12 characters, however, you can have less characters than the original roster, such as for Brawl you can have less than 35 characters if you want. With Smash 4, have 50 characters as your limit. (When I say characters, I mean slots)

-Don't add any 4th Parties or unrealistic 3rd parties, however, if you want Banjo in, you can have him in for 64 and Melee as he belonged to Nintendo then, but not Brawl or SSB4

-Try not to add too many 3rd party characters.

-Don't add any 3rd parties until Brawl please. However, if you don't want any 3rd parties, you don't have to add them

-Don't add characters that haven't existed yet into the roster. Example: Don't add Lyn to the Melee roster.

-Try to be somewhat realistic and try to post all 3 rosters.

-Cuts are fine on your rosters.

All right, you may go ahead and post your rosters now. Have fun!

Last edited:

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
This will be one for Brawl:

Mario: Luigi, Bowser, Fawful, Popple.
Donkey Kong: Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, King K. Rool, Chunky Kong.
Legend of Zelda: Ganondorf.
Kirby: Kirby, King Dedede, Meta Knight, Waddle Dee.
Metroid: SCREW METROID
Yoshi: Yoshi, Kamek, Shy Guy
Star Fox: SCREW STAR FOX TOO
Earthbound: PORKY! Ness, Paula, Jeff, Poo, Lucas, Flint & Boney tag team, Kumatora, Ninten, Loid, Teddy, Ana, Pigmask Colonel, Giygas.
WarioWare: Wario, 9-Volt, 18-Volt, Jimmy T., Captain Syrup.
Oh, and SCREW POKeMON

EARTHBOUND AND WARIOWARE RULE!

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'll look into doing this myself soon. But I'll wait a little bit later. I want see what some other people think first.

Morbi

Scavenger
Smash 64
- Cut Jigglypuff for Meowth

Melee
- Cut Game + Watch for Ridley
- Cut Ice Climbers for Samurai Goroh
- Cut Falco for Wolf

Brawl
- Cut ROB

Smash 4
- Cut Pokemon Trainer for 4 different and unique characters
+ Tingle

Unrealistic Choices
- Cut Link for Toon Link
- Cut Mario for Dr. Mario

Autumn ♫

Smash 64

Melee
- Cut Game + Watch for Ridley
- Cut Ice Climbers for Samurai Goroh
- Cut Falco for Wolf

Brawl
- Cut ROB

Smash 4
- Cut Pokemon Trainer for 4 different and unique characters
+ Tingle

Unrealistic Choices
- Cut Link for Toon Link
- Cut Mario for Dr. Mario

Smash 64

Cut Jigglypuff

Are...Are you Morbid?

:troll:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
[collapse=SSB 64]

[/collapse]
[collapse=Melee]

[/collapse]
[collapse=Brawl]

[/collapse]
I kept Banjo in the Brawl one because I'm sure Nintendo would have held onto him if he appeared in the first two Smash Bros. I just swapped out Jiggs for Banjo in 64 and removed the clones from Melee in favour of Dedede, K. Rool, Wolf, Wario, and Banjo + Grunty. The Brawl roster is one character over the limit, but just pretend random was a roster slot.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
All right here we go.

First the N64 version. I swapped out Jigglypuff for King DeDeDe. other than that, kept it the same.

Now here's the Melee roster. Kicked out most of the clones. But I kept Falco and Dr.Mario. The clones that were removed were replaced with Ridley, King DeDeDe, and Diddy Kong. I guess this version of Melee would have been delayed, wouldn't it? :p

For Brawl, I swapped R.O.B for keeping Ridley. I was originally going to have the third parties be Megaman and Sonic. But I wanted to keep Snake.

SSB4 Roster derp version.png

Well for the new one. I just kept all of the Brawl vets with all of the confirmed characters. I added popular choices like K. Rool and Little Mac. While Dixie and Dark Samus, are the game's late minute additions. So they'd be semi-clones. I chose to go for an even 50.

Then I added Shulk, Isaac, Dillon and Ray. As for third parties....I kept the original 3. But I threw in Phoenix Wright, for the hell of it. I would have originally have two Sonic characters and then two Megaman characters as a complement of sorts.

1) Capcom as a whole loves crossovers. They practically invented it.

2) He's pretty much a Nintendo exclusive character.

3) He'd be kinda fun.

I might re-do this. I don't know for sure though.

TORNADO BUS DRIVER

Smash Lord

the smash 64 roster
Added in marth and pit .
melee roster.

Added in wolf as a 2nd star fox rep , bowser and peach as new mario reps , diddy and dixe as a new donkey king rep , goroh as a new f zero rep , ridely as a new metrod rep ,zelda and ice climbers are added, banjo and kazooie as a new random rep , mewtwo as a new pokemon rep and tyrantar as a gen 2 pokemon rep , sukapon as a retro rep.
Brawl roster

Minda and ganondorf as new zelda reps, Pikmin is reped ,Wario is in ,luigi is a new mario rep , blaziakin and lucario are in and tryrantir is cut, two new kirby reps, conker is a new rare rep and 3rd partys are added with sonic and mega man being the first ones, wolf is cut.

Paper mario as new mario rep , king k rool as new dk rep , ghiraham as new zelda rep , palutnea as new kid icarus rep , villager and wii fit trainer are in , wolf is back , all pokemon fighters are back , j.dark as new rare rep , simon as new 3rd party , 3 left out fighters as dlc .

Autumn ♫

Do you guys think this should be made into a competition of who has the best roster? Me and some other judges will judge your guys roster on how many characters you have and who you have. With each facing off against another, like in the SmashBoards Roster Creation Contest, but the judges will vote instead.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I don't understand why the potential judges' opinions matter. If it's open to everyone for voting, that is useful as a general sense of the forum's opinions, but what's the point of a few arbitrary people?

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
The most corrupt country ever, except most others.
I see you beat me to it.

Posted in text format only, out of laziness. That, and I first posted it somewhere else. I have a few rules for my own...

- Keep the character count relatively small, at least in comparison to Sakurai's rosters. I prefer smaller rosters because the fighting styles are more unique, refined, and satisfying all-around. Quality > quantity~
- No character cuts between games.
- No transformation/swap characters. I'm sure I'm alone here, but I dislike these. I find them clunky, awkward, and unnecessary (especially the Pokémon Trainer).

SSB64

There's very little I'd change about this roster. It covered the basic franchises well enough and gave extra representation to the biggest ones. The only change I would make is Mewtwo in for Jigglypuff. I like Jigglypuff in Smash, but even I can admit that her addition never made sense. Mewtwo is much more iconic and popular, as it was at the time.

Melee

Additions of Peach, Bowser, Zelda (no Sheik), Ganondorf, Ridley, King Dedede, Diddy Kong, and Marth. Before branching out to represent lesser-known/historical Nintendo IPs, I would have focused on beefing up the big ones with their most iconic characters. I believe characters like Zelda and Ridley get more priority than ones like Pit and the Ice Climbers since this is a game of Nintendo's all-stars, and they're much more well-known characters. Total is 20.

That said, I probably would have also added a new franchise to the mix, hence the addition of Marth. He seems like the best choice for the time period since there were no other continuous Nintendo IPs that wouldn't be represented already at this stage. Plus, a JP-only character would be a nice surprise for the rest of the world. Sakurai would probably have had to give me the idea though. It's hard to measure how much creativity or knack for surprise I would have had were I in his position.

Also, note that only 8 newcomers were added as opposed to 13 (14 if you count Sheik) like there were in the actual Melee. I dislike clones, but the reason they existed to begin with was the lack of time to program 25 characters with unique movesets.

Brawl

Additions of Wario, Eevee (I'll explain), Meta Knight, Wolf, Pit, Little Mac, Olimar, AC Villager, Snake, and Sonic. Since I got the players from the big franchises, now would be a good time to branch out since Nintendo pelted out quite a few IPs between Melee and Brawl. Total is 30.

I picked Wolf over Falco since Wolf has a bigger role in the SF games after Melee, and is inherently more unique moveset-wise.

Eevee, the one I'm sure is the reason you're raising eyebrows at me, is my third pick for a Pokémon character because the "no transformation" rule essentially throws out the starter trio since they're not feasible in any other way. So I decided to go with another iconic Pokémon convention, the Eeveelution. This is a stretch, but I think it would make sense for Eevee to use moves (standard and special) that come from all of its evolutions. That way it makes the fighter interesting and represents all of them without giving special treatment to one.

This point would be a good time to start picking up old Nintendo IPs to represent in Smash, so I picked Pit and Little Mac for the role since I think they would make the best playable fighters.

SSBU/3DS

Additions of King K. Rool, Kraid, FE Tactician, Shulk, Wii Fit Trainer, and Megaman. There are few iconic characters or big IPs left out at this point, so this has the fewest additions and 36 total.

I think it makes more sense to add a new DK character now than it did in Brawl, since DKC experienced a rebirth after Brawl. K. Rool would be my choice over Dixie since he's more popular, important, and iconic.

Kraid is another famous Metroid boss that, strangely enough, hasn't been seen in a 3D Metroid game. He's basically here for being iconic, and it makes sense in my head to add a third Metroid character since A) the franchise is big enough for three reps and B) it needs promotion since we've heard nothing from it since Other M. And honestly, I find him easier to scale down than Ridley is.

Since we now have gender swap costumes for open-ended characters like the Villager, it makes sense to add the Fire Emblem Tactician. With Awakening's success, FE finally has prominence in Nintendo's pantheon, and the Tactician has more potential to be a running concept than any of the individual Lords. That, and he uses something other than a sword.

Wii Fit Trainer is an idea that Sakurai probably would've had to give me, but I might've thought of her as a fighter before even thinking up R.O.B. or Game & Watch. I think she's a much better representative of the casual side of Wii than Miis could ever hope to be.

Autumn ♫

I see you beat me to it.

Posted in text format only, out of laziness. That, and I first posted it somewhere else. I have a few rules for my own...

- Keep the character count relatively small, at least in comparison to Sakurai's rosters. I prefer smaller rosters because the fighting styles are more unique, refined, and satisfying all-around. Quality > quantity~
- No character cuts between games.
- No transformation/swap characters. I'm sure I'm alone here, but I dislike these. I find them clunky, awkward, and unnecessary (especially the Pokémon Trainer).

SSB64

There's very little I'd change about this roster. It covered the basic franchises well enough and gave extra representation to the biggest ones. The only change I would make is Mewtwo in for Jigglypuff. I like Jigglypuff in Smash, but even I can admit that her addition never made sense. Mewtwo is much more iconic and popular, as it was at the time.

Melee

Additions of Peach, Bowser, Zelda (no Sheik), Ganondorf, Ridley, King Dedede, Diddy Kong, and Marth. Before branching out to represent lesser-known/historical Nintendo IPs, I would have focused on beefing up the big ones with their most iconic characters. I believe characters like Zelda and Ridley get more priority than ones like Pit and the Ice Climbers since this is a game of Nintendo's all-stars, and they're much more well-known characters. Total is 20.

That said, I probably would have also added a new franchise to the mix, hence the addition of Marth. He seems like the best choice for the time period since there were no other continuous Nintendo IPs that wouldn't be represented already at this stage. Plus, a JP-only character would be a nice surprise for the rest of the world. Sakurai would probably have had to give me the idea though. It's hard to measure how much creativity or knack for surprise I would have had were I in his position.

Also, note that only 8 newcomers were added as opposed to 13 (14 if you count Sheik) like there were in the actual Melee. I dislike clones, but the reason they existed to begin with was the lack of time to program 25 characters with unique movesets.

Brawl

Additions of Wario, Eevee (I'll explain), Meta Knight, Wolf, Pit, Little Mac, Olimar, AC Villager, Snake, and Sonic. Since I got the players from the big franchises, now would be a good time to branch out since Nintendo pelted out quite a few IPs between Melee and Brawl. Total is 30.

I picked Wolf over Falco since Wolf has a bigger role in the SF games after Melee, and is inherently more unique moveset-wise.

Eevee, the one I'm sure is the reason you're raising eyebrows at me, is my third pick for a Pokémon character because the "no transformation" rule essentially throws out the starter trio since they're not feasible in any other way. So I decided to go with another iconic Pokémon convention, the Eeveelution. This is a stretch, but I think it would make sense for Eevee to use moves (standard and special) that come from all of its evolutions. That way it makes the fighter interesting and represents all of them without giving special treatment to one.

This point would be a good time to start picking up old Nintendo IPs to represent in Smash, so I picked Pit and Little Mac for the role since I think they would make the best playable fighters.

SSBU/3DS

Additions of King K. Rool, Kraid, FE Tactician, Shulk, Wii Fit Trainer, and Megaman. There are few iconic characters or big IPs left out at this point, so this has the fewest additions and 36 total.

I think it makes more sense to add a new DK character now than it did in Brawl, since DKC experienced a rebirth after Brawl. K. Rool would be my choice over Dixie since he's more popular, important, and iconic.

Kraid is another famous Metroid boss that, strangely enough, hasn't been seen in a 3D Metroid game. He's basically here for being iconic, and it makes sense in my head to add a third Metroid character since A) the franchise is big enough for three reps and B) it needs promotion since we've heard nothing from it since Other M. And honestly, I find him easier to scale down than Ridley is.

Since we now have gender swap costumes for open-ended characters like the Villager, it makes sense to add the Fire Emblem Tactician. With Awakening's success, FE finally has prominence in Nintendo's pantheon, and the Tactician has more potential to be a running concept than any of the individual Lords. That, and he uses something other than a sword.

Wii Fit Trainer is an idea that Sakurai probably would've had to give me, but I might've thought of her as a fighter before even thinking up R.O.B. or Game & Watch. I think she's a much better representative of the casual side of Wii than Miis could ever hope to be.
I find it odd how SSB4 only has one more character than Brawl's roster, but I'm fine with that. To be honest, Eevee wasn't my eyebrow raiser, it was Kraid. :laugh:

Yams

Smash Journeyman
Super Smash Bros 64:

Differences from official roster:
-Luigi and Jigglypuff cut.
-Banjo&Kazooie and Pit added
Reason for changes:
-In the original Smash Bros, I don't think any series was worthy of more than one rep.
-Jigglypuff was an insignificant character to the Pokemon franchise.
-Luigi was an insignificant character to the Mario franchise (at the time).
Reasons for additions:
-Pit was from a fairly popular series and had more games than characters who were already included in the roster.
-Same goes for Banjo&Kazooie.

Super Smash Bros Melee:

-8 Characters cut from official Melee roster
-Cut characters: Jigglypuff, Dr. Mario, Falco, Ice Climbers, Young Link, Pichu, Mr. Game and Watch, Roy.
-Diddy Kong, Ridley, King Dedede, Meowth, Little Mac, and The Sheriff added.
Reasons for changes:
-Roy was not needed because he was a clone and Fire Emblem was a new franchise to Smash Bros.
-Dr. Mario was an insignificant character to the Mario franchise.
-Falco was an insignificant character to the Star Fox franchise, and Star Fox did now warrant multiple reps (at the time).
-Ice Climbers and Mr. Game and Watch were out-prioritized (in my opinion) by other retro characters.
-Young Link was an insignificant character to the Zelda franchise.
-Pichu was an insignificant character to the Pokemon franchise.
Reasons for additions:
-Ridley explains himself
-Meowth was the 3rd most important character to the Pokemon franchise (after Mewtwo), and Pokemon was deserving of three reps.
-Little Mac was from a popular retro franchise, and out prioritized Ice Climbers in terms of recognition and popularity (at the time).
-The Sheriff was from Nintendo's first game, so he (in my opinion) out prioritized Mr. Game and Watch in terms of importance to Nintendo and historic value.

Super Smash Bros Brawl:

Notes:
-3rd Party Characters weren't necessary until SSB4 (I added 3rd parties in my IIWS SSB4 roster).
-Ike not included due to lack of space.
-Random space replaced by extra character (cop out).
-Banjo&Kazooie kept because I believe that if Nintendo added B&K into the earlier Smash games, Rare would have realized their importance to Nintendo and stayed with them. Either that or they could* have become official Nintendo owned characters.
*I have no idea how that kind of thing works :p
-5 characters cit from official Brawl roster
-Cut characters: ROB, Ike, Lucas, Snake, Sonic.
-King K Rool, Gruntilda, Mach Rider, Villager, and Duck Hunt Dog added.
Reasons for changes:
-ROB was out-prioritized (in my opinion) by other retro characters.
-Ike was left out due to a lack of slots (would have been added if I had one more slot, but I don't want to increase the amount of slots from the official roster*).
-Lucas was left out due to the EarthBound franchise not warranting multiple reps (at the time).
-Snake was left out due to 3rd party characters not being included until SSB4**, and if I was Sakurai, I would deny Kojima's request to include him.
-Sonic was left out due to 3rd party characters not being included until SSB4**.
*: Random slot is an exception, as it is technically a slot in the roster.
**: I did not include 3rd party characters until my IIWS SSB4 roster.
Reasons for additions:
-King K Rool was the third most important character to the Donkey Kong franchise, and Donkey Kong was deserving of three reps.
-Gruntilda was added due to the popularity of the Banjo-Kazooie franchise and being the main antagonist and second most important character of the franchise.
-Villager was from an iconic and popular Nintendo franchise that hadn't previously been represented in the Smash series (much like Marth's inclusion in Melee and Captain Olimar's in Brawl)
-Duck Hunt Dog was from an extremely popular Nintendo franchise (Duck Hunt) and was an incredibly iconic Nintendo character. He (in my opinion) out-prioritized ROB.

Super Smash Bros for 3DS and Wii U:

There is no need to justify this roster, I'm just adding it for fun.

This should be a contest!

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
IIWS 64 Roster.png

Here's 64.

- I dropped Luigi for Bowser, mainly because Bowser's more important to the series.
- I dropped Jigglypuff for Mewtwo, because of again, importance.
- I dropped Ness for Zelda, because I found that they threw in too many series at once.
- I dropped Capt. Falcon for Diddy, because of again, too many series.
- I excluded Sheik due to limits on the N64.
I'll do the others later, but 1) I can't upload more than one roster per post and 2) Brawl and SSB4 aren't done yet.

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
If I Were Sakurai Roster.png

SSB64 Top Right
SSBM Top Left
SSBB Bottom Right

Cut Luigi for Bowser because Bowser had more importance
Jiggs for Meowth for being more iconic and having more importance
Ness for Ninten because Ninten was first protagonist

Melee
Little Mac
K. Rool
Wolf instead of Falco for being leader of Star Wolf
Ridley
Ganondorf instead of Young Link
Pit
Cut
Falco
Cut G&W
Cut IC
Cut Young Link
Cut Pichu
Cut Dr. Mario

SSBB
Add
Porky
Villager
Solo Charizard
Mewtwo
Mega Man
Roy
Cuts
Lucas
Ike
IC
G&W
Snake
Lucario
Anyone else i forgot

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
IIWS Melee Roster.png

Now here's Melee.
- I brought in the secret 4 from N64 in.
- I dropped Dr. Mario for K. Rool, because of mainly bias. XD That, and importance to Nintendo.
- I dropped Roy for Dedede, 99% for bias, 1% for importance to Nintendo.
- I added Sheik to Zelda now, to spice her up a bit, plus not as many limits.
- Everyone else was dropped because of room.

Olekidsf

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2552-2900-3603
I might as well do this again.
Super Smash Bros 64:

Removals:
Jigglypuff
Yoshi

Additions:
Marth
Little Mac

Explanation:
-I think Pokemon was a bit too new to warrant two reps at that point. Even if it did deserve a second one Meowth would've been a better choice than Jigglypuff anyway.
-I don't really think Yoshi should've outprioritized Peach or Bowser, even with a few games of his own under his belt.
-Fire Emblem was a pretty big series in Japan at that point (definitely bigger than Mother) and Smash 64 could've used another swordsman, so I threw Marth in. The game was originally planned to be Japan-exclusive anyway, so I really have no idea why he wasn't there in the first place.
-Punch Out was one of the most well-known games on the NES and it even had 2 arcade games and one console sequel on top of that, so I think this would've been a good time to add Mac. I might have chosen Pit instead, but the developers said they had trouble animating his wings. I'm not going to add a character to mine that would've been impossible to add in the first place.

Super Smash Bros Melee:

Removals:
Dr. Mario
Young Link
Jigglypuff
Pichu
Mewtwo
Falco
Roy
Ice Climbers

Additions:
Wario
Diddy Kong
King K. Rool
Meowth
King Dedede
Little Mac

Explanations:
-The cuts of Dr. Mario, Pichu, and Young Link pretty much explain themselves. Roy and Falco are cut because their series really didn't need second reps until Brawl. Ice Climbers are cut because their game was pretty obscure and really served no purpose to Nintendo's history. While they were unique, I think more significant characters like Wario, Diddy Kong, and King Dedede should've taken priority.
-Speaking of which, I'm honestly amazed Diddy Kong wasn't added in Melee. DKC and it's sequels were some of the most popular games on the SNES and the series was still going strong with the release of DK64. Not to mention, Diddy had been the title character in two games of his own! He really should've been a shoe-in.
-Honestly, I feel like DK should've been on par with Zelda and Pokemon all along. DKC was easily as big as Zelda during the SNES days, and I think we can all agree that DK himself is one of the most well-known characters Nintendo has to offer. Because of this, I decided to throw in K. Rool because he was the villain of the series and had tons of moveset potential. He's in over Dixie partly because of moveset potential, partly because he was in DK64, and partly because of sheer personal bias.
-Wario was steadily making a name for himself around this point, with the Wario Land series and all the Mario spin-offs he appeared in. There was even another character that was created specifically for him (Waluigi)
-King Dedede was a major villain throughout all the early Kirby titles, and even was given a minor playable role in Kirby 64. Plus, I don't have Ice Climbers so he could serve as the hammer-user of the roster. I think the only reason he wasn't added in the actual game was because of Sakurai's modesty.
-Meowth basically served as a second Pikachu during Pokemon's early years. He was primarily important in the anime and spin-offs, but still managed to become extremely iconic to the franchise. Plus, Melee didn't really have a claw-user, so he could be pretty unique as well.
-As much as I love Mewtwo, the only big thing he had going for him at that point was one movie. I still don't think Pokemon had grown quite enough to warrant that many reps yet, so I cut him out.

Super Smash Bros Brawl:

Removals:
Toon Link
Jigglypuff
Zero Suit Samus
Falco
Ike
Lucas
Pit
Ice Climbers
Snake

Additions:
King K. Rool
Vaati
Ridley
Meowth
Hector
Samurai Goroh
Little Mac
Villager
Soldier (from Nintendo Wars)

Explanations:
-While I don't think Toon Link was a bad choice, I don't really like how they had to make normal Link unnecessarily slow and heavy just to accommodate a clone. I think Vaati would've been a better choice as he's the most recurring villain after Ganon himself and could have a very unique moveset. Also, unlike nowadays, he actually would've been a fairly popular and relevant character at the time of Brawl.
-Ridley is added because Metroid experienced a revival between Melee and Brawl, with 5 successful new games coming out, so it easily warranted another rep. Most people here should agree that he would've been the obvious choice, so I won't bother explaining myself any further.
-Zero Suit Samus was cut as she was really only added as a substitute for Ridley. The only thing important about her Zero Suit is how well it shows off her ***.
-Falco is still kept out because he's really just a side character in the games, while Wolf has the advantage of being a major villain. Also, he's a lot easier to make unique than Falco.
-Now, here's where it gets messy. Instead of Ike, I decided to go with Hector for my second Fire Emblem rep. My main reason for this was because Fire Emblem 7 was simply a more important game than both Path Of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. It was the first internationally released game in the series and, at that point, was also the highest selling FE game to date. Hector was the second most important character in that game, and like Eliwood, was referenced in it's prequel as well. The only reason I chose him over Eliwood was because of the fact that he wields an axe, so he could carry on the fighting style Sakurai wanted to give to Ike while also representing a new weapon type.
-As much as I love Mother 3, I decided to cut Lucas because there are simply bigger series than Mother that should've gotten reps instead.
-Like F-Zero for example! This series had a total of 6 games by this point, most of which had come out past Melee. Like Mother, it's been represented since the original Smash, so I really don't understand why it didn't get another rep. I think Samurai Goroh would've been the best choice, as he's Captain Falcon's main rival throughout the series and would add a samurai character to the game.
-Villager was added because Animal Crossing was easily just as big a series as Pikmin during the Gamecube era, and the rule against non-fighters was kind of a stupid rule to begin with. Smash is about putting Nintendo's biggest all-stars together, not just the ones that fight.
-Nintendo Wars is a very long running series that's been around since the NES days and had 12 games by the time Brawl came out. It was at the height of it's popularity between Melee and Brawl, so it definitely could've gotten a rep. I chose a generic "soldier" character since they represent the series as a whole better than a CO would.
-Pit is cut for basically the same reason Ice Climbers were. Ridley and Meta Knight could easily carry out the air-based fighting style he would've gotten. Snake is cut because I think one 3rd Party character would've been enough for Brawl, and he was really only in because of Kojima's request. The soldier could carry on his explosive-based moveset.

Newcomers:
Toad
Dixie Kong
Mewtwo
Robin
Pit
Takamaru
Isacc
Shulk
Mii
Mega Man

Explanations:
-Toad is added to complete the original Mario cast, and because of his roles in the New Super Mario Bros games and 3D World.
-Dixie is added to complete the DK cast, and because of her role in Tropical Freeze.
-Mewtwo is added for being the last incredibly iconic and popular Gen 1 Pokemon yet to be added, and because of his new movie along with his role as the poster boy for X & Y's Mega Evolutions.
-Awakening is the highest-selling FE game to date and it's the only one that's come out since Brawl that was actually successful, so I decided to add a rep for it. I chose Robin because of his moveset potential and the fact that he represents a mechanic that's very likely to continue on throughout the series.
-Uprising definitely re-establishes Pit as a good choice, and it also gives him a much more interesting pool of moves and abilities to pull from.
-Takamaru is added because of Nintendo Land and Sakura Samurai on the E-shop. Plus, it wouldn't hurt to have another samurai on the roster.
-Isacc is added because of Dark Dawn and the fact that the developers said they might continue the franchise. Plus, his moveset potential is outstanding.
-Shulk is added because Monolith Soft is quickly becoming a big 1st party developer for Nintendo. I chose him over someone from Baiten Kaitos or Xenosaga because Xenoblade has a stronger tie to Nintendo and, regardless of whether it's a sequel or not, Monolith's new game for the Wii U definitely seems to be taking notes from it.
-Mii is added to represent the insanely successful Wii series. However, like Villager, he would not be customizable but instead would just get a generic appearance and moveset reflecting the various games Mii's have appeared in.
-Mega Man is my new 3rd Party for this game, and I think he's a pretty obvious choice since he has more games on Nintendo systems than Sonic and Snake combined, along with the fact that he has excellent moveset potential.

Whew...that got really long. Hopefully, those collapse tags work. I've never actually used them before. XD

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
I might as well do this again.
Super Smash Bros 64:

Removals:
Jigglypuff
Yoshi

Additions:
Marth
Little Mac

Explanation:
-I think Pokemon was a bit too new to warrant two reps at that point. Even if it did deserve a second one Meowth would've been a better choice than Jigglypuff anyway.
-I don't really think Yoshi should've outprioritized Peach or Bowser, even with a few games of his own under his belt.
-Fire Emblem was a pretty big series in Japan at that point (definitely bigger than Mother) and Smash 64 could've used another swordsman, so I threw Marth in. The game was originally planned to be Japan-exclusive anyway, so I really have no idea why he wasn't there in the first place.
-Punch Out was one of the most well-known games on the NES and it even had 2 arcade games and one console sequel on top of that, so I think this would've been a good time to add Mac. I might have chosen Pit instead, but the developers said they had trouble animating his wings. I'm not going to add a character to mine that would've been impossible to add in the first place.

Super Smash Bros Melee:

Removals:
Dr. Mario
Young Link
Jigglypuff
Pichu
Mewtwo
Falco
Roy
Ice Climbers

Additions:
Wario
Diddy Kong
King K. Rool
Meowth
King Dedede
Little Mac

Explanations:
-The cuts of Dr. Mario, Pichu, and Young Link pretty much explain themselves. Roy and Falco are cut because their series really didn't need second reps until Brawl. Ice Climbers are cut because their game was pretty obscure and really served no purpose to Nintendo's history. While they were unique, I think more significant characters like Wario, Diddy Kong, and King Dedede should've taken priority.
-Speaking of which, I'm honestly amazed Diddy Kong wasn't added in Melee. DKC and it's sequels were some of the most popular games on the SNES and the series was still going strong with the release of DK64. Not to mention, Diddy had been the title character in two games of his own! He really should've been a shoe-in.
-Honestly, I feel like DK should've been on par with Zelda and Pokemon all along. DKC was easily as big as Zelda during the SNES days, and I think we can all agree that DK himself is one of the most well-known characters Nintendo has to offer. Because of this, I decided to throw in K. Rool because he was the villain of the series and had tons of moveset potential. He's in over Dixie partly because of moveset potential, partly because he was in DK64, and partly because of sheer personal bias.
-Wario was steadily making a name for himself around this point, with the Wario Land series and all the Mario spin-offs he appeared in. There was even another character that was created specifically for him (Waluigi)
-King Dedede was a major villain throughout all the early Kirby titles, and even was given a minor playable role in Kirby 64. Plus, I don't have Ice Climbers so he could serve as the hammer-user of the roster. I think the only reason he wasn't added in the actual game was because of Sakurai's modesty.
-Meowth basically served as a second Pikachu during Pokemon's early years. He was primarily important in the anime and spin-offs, but still managed to become extremely iconic to the franchise. Plus, Melee didn't really have a claw-user, so he could be pretty unique as well.
-As much as I love Mewtwo, the only big thing he had going for him at that point was one movie. I still don't think Pokemon had grown quite enough to warrant that many reps yet, so I cut him out.

Super Smash Bros Brawl:

Removals:
Toon Link
Jigglypuff
Zero Suit Samus
Falco
Ike
Lucas
Pit
Ice Climbers
Snake

Additions:
King K. Rool
Vaati
Ridley
Meowth
Hector
Samurai Goroh
Little Mac
Villager
Soldier (from Nintendo Wars)

Explanations:
-While I don't think Toon Link was a bad choice, I don't really like how they had to make normal Link unnecessarily slow and heavy just to accommodate a clone. I think Vaati would've been a better choice as he's the most recurring villain after Ganon himself and could have a very unique moveset. Also, unlike nowadays, he actually would've been a fairly popular and relevant character at the time of Brawl.
-Ridley is added because Metroid experienced a revival between Melee and Brawl, with 5 successful new games coming out, so it easily warranted another rep. Most people here should agree that he would've been the obvious choice, so I won't bother explaining myself any further.
-Zero Suit Samus was cut as she was really only added as a substitute for Ridley. The only thing important about her Zero Suit is how well it shows off her ***.
-Falco is still kept out because he's really just a side character in the games, while Wolf has the advantage of being a major villain. Also, he's a lot easier to make unique than Falco.
-Now, here's where it gets messy. Instead of Ike, I decided to go with Hector for my second Fire Emblem rep. My main reason for this was because Fire Emblem 7 was simply a more important game than both Path Of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. It was the first internationally released game in the series and, at that point, was also the highest selling FE game to date. Hector was the second most important character in that game, and like Eliwood, was referenced in it's prequel as well. The only reason I chose him over Eliwood was because of the fact that he wields an axe, so he could carry on the fighting style Sakurai wanted to give to Ike while also representing a new weapon type.
-As much as I love Mother 3, I decided to cut Lucas because there are simply bigger series than Mother that should've gotten reps instead.
-Like F-Zero for example! This series had a total of 6 games by this point, most of which had come out past Melee. Like Mother, it's been represented since the original Smash, so I really don't understand why it didn't get another rep. I think Samurai Goroh would've been the best choice, as he's Captain Falcon's main rival throughout the series and would add a samurai character to the game.
-Villager was added because Animal Crossing was easily just as big a series as Pikmin during the Gamecube era, and the rule against non-fighters was kind of a stupid rule to begin with. Smash is about putting Nintendo's biggest all-stars together, not just the ones that fight.
-Nintendo Wars is a very long running series that's been around since the NES days and had 12 games by the time Brawl came out. It was at the height of it's popularity between Melee and Brawl, so it definitely could've gotten a rep. I chose a generic "soldier" character since they represent the series as a whole better than a CO would.
-Pit is cut for basically the same reason Ice Climbers were. Ridley and Meta Knight could easily carry out the air-based fighting style he would've gotten. Snake is cut because I think one 3rd Party character would've been enough for Brawl, and he was really only in because of Kojima's request. The soldier could carry on his explosive-based moveset.

Newcomers:
Toad
Dixie Kong
Mewtwo
Robin
Pit
Takamaru
Isacc
Shulk
Mii
Mega Man

Explanations:
-Toad is added to complete the original Mario cast, and because of his roles in the New Super Mario Bros games and 3D World.
-Dixie is added to complete the DK cast, and because of her role in Tropical Freeze.
-Mewtwo is added for being the last incredibly iconic and popular Gen 1 Pokemon yet to be added, and because of his new movie along with his role as the poster boy for X & Y's Mega Evolutions.
-Awakening is the highest-selling FE game to date and it's the only one that's come out since Brawl that was actually successful, so I decided to add a rep for it. I chose Robin because of his moveset potential and the fact that he represents a mechanic that's very likely to continue on throughout the series.
-Uprising definitely re-establishes Pit as a good choice, and it also gives him a much more interesting pool of moves and abilities to pull from.
-Takamaru is added because of Nintendo Land and Sakura Samurai on the E-shop. Plus, it wouldn't hurt to have another samurai on the roster.
-Isacc is added because of Dark Dawn and the fact that the developers said they might continue the franchise. Plus, his moveset potential is outstanding.
-Shulk is added because Monolith Soft is quickly becoming a big 1st party developer for Nintendo. I chose him over someone from Baiten Kaitos or Xenosaga because Xenoblade has a stronger tie to Nintendo and, regardless of whether it's a sequel or not, Monolith's new game for the Wii U definitely seems to be taking notes from it.
-Mii is added to represent the insanely successful Wii series. However, like Villager, he would not be customizable but instead would just get a generic appearance and moveset reflecting the various games Mii's have appeared in.
-Mega Man is my new 3rd Party for this game, and I think he's a pretty obvious choice since he has more games on Nintendo systems than Sonic and Snake combined, along with the fact that he has excellent moveset potential.

Whew...that got really long. Hopefully, those collapse tags work. I've never actually used them before. XD
Good thing the tags worked, lol. I'm surprised you picked Dixie over K. Rool since you've always been one for selecting important characters rather than just recent ones. I'm sure my rosters surprised you more though, given my minimalist approach, Eevee, and Kraid.

Olekidsf

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2552-2900-3603
Good thing the tags worked, lol. I'm surprised you picked Dixie over K. Rool since you've always been one for selecting important characters rather than just recent ones. I'm sure my rosters surprised you more though, given my minimalist approach, Eevee, and Kraid.
I added K. Rool in Melee, remember?

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
Lol, it's OK. Honestly, I'm surprised that was your eyebrow raiser. I would've expected it to be the "Soldier" or my choice of Hector over Ike.
It was, but I honestly couldn't think of anything to say about it. It's a good choice and I like that he is Snake's spiritual counterpart in your roster. I haven't looked at your moveset for him though.

Also, I do not want this to be competitive. Takes the fun out of it.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Well, I did not follow the 1st Rule, sorry, Don't care, if I were Sakurai I would done it this way ~

SSB 64
As you can see. I cut Luigi and Jigglypuff in the favors of Wario & Mewtwo.
And Since Goldeneye and Banjo was such hits at that time, I included them, also for the popularity of Zelda, Gannon was also added.
SSBM
For Melee I've done some changes. I did include Banjo here as well for some reason.
Anyways, I included Wolf, Meowth, Bowser, Peach, Diddy Kong, Ice Climbers, Pit, Marth, Goose, Zelda, Samurai Goroh and Mr.Game & Watch.
Cut from SSB64: James Bond.

SSBB
For Brawl, I wanted to include some more to the roster, and was thinking of what would be Unique, Populare and Obscure.
Newcomers: Luigi, Meta Knight, Krystal, Duck Hunt Dog, King K. Rool, R.O.B, Midna, Isaac and Captain Olimar...

Cut from Melee: Banjo & Kazooie.

SSB Wii U/3DS

The Newest Installment, for both Wii U and 3DS.
Newcomers: Palutena, Villager, Dixie Kong, Waluigi, Bandana Dee, Zoroark, Wii Fit Trainer, Takamaru and Ghirahim.
Cut from Brawl: Midna.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Finally got to Brawl. XD
IIWS Brawl Roster.png

- I dropped Snake for Mega Man, as he was a more significant 3rd party and much more popular.
- I dropped Lucas for Kamek, as I find Yoshi just as important, if not then more so, than EarthBound.
- I dropped PT for Mewtwo. I don't find the PT THAT iconic.
- I dropped Pichu for Lucario, as I find Lucario more iconic and unique.
- I dropped Olimar for Villager, because I find AC a tad more important.
- I dropped Ice Climbers for Ridley... Do I really need to explain? XD
- I dropped Young Link for Toon Link, cause Toon Link's more important.
- I added Wolf instead of Falco, because Falco just seems like a side character, whereas Wolf actually seems a bit more than that, being a major antagonist that could work.
I don't think I left anyone else out, so I'm done explaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom