• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Force getup in place?

Fortune

Smash Journeyman
Is there any way for Lucas to force getup in place off of your opponent's missed tech? Like Jigglypuff can do in Melee.

Jab doesn't work, and I also tried first hit dair, but it seems the opponent can roll away after both of these. I'm thinking there aren't any other moves that could do it, but I'd like to know if someone found a way.

edit: it's possible that first hit dair will force getup in place at lower percents. I need to test this.

Last edited:

Fortune

Smash Journeyman
If you jab, they have the option to get up in place, hold left to roll left, and hold right to roll right. I'm looking for a way to take the roll options away from them.

Fortune

Smash Journeyman
Thanks, I'll check that out.

edit: I read the article linked, as well as the External Link Magus post about how jab resets work in Melee. Anyone curious about the specifics of this matter should read that Magus post. It seems like the forced getup in place AKA optionless reset occurs when hitstun of the move used to reset is 12 frames or less. If the hitstun of the move used to reset is 13 frames or more, the opponent gains other options.

I have tried using jab to reset some characters and they have been able to roll. Heavier characters will have less hitstun, so jab will probably cause an optionless reset on characters over a certain weight threshold. That is, jab and perhaps downair can probably be used to cause an optionless reset on characters that take 12 frames or less hitstun off of these moves.

Last edited:
Top Bottom