• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

For those struggling against "broken" characters in Ultimate.

JustTheTipperR

Smash Rookie
Hey Everyone,

If you're like me then you love playing Ultimate. However, it can get frustrating when you keep losing to a character that you feel is unwinnable against. There are a couple characters in this game, especially some of the newcomers, that are quite overwhelming and might cause you to rage out. But one thing people keep forgetting is to try and understand the characters first before you've decided if you can't beat them. If you're struggling against a specific character (whether it be the common Inkling or King K. Rool) then go into Smash mode and play as that character against a Lvl 9 CPU. Even if you've already gotten a decent grasp of the character, keep playing against LVL 9 CPUs or even play against people online while playing as that character. It's really easy for a character to seem invincible when you keep losing to them, but actually playing as that character will help you notice their weaknesses much easier. Play against LVL 9 CPUs and other people online and take note when you feel like you're struggling to either approach, get kills, recover, etc. Use this information the next time you run into that character again and you'll find yourself with the upper hand more often.

I had a hard time figuring out how to beat Richter until I played as him a lot against some skilled opponents in some Arena matches. After playing as him and losing a bunch of games, I realized that I was having a real tough time winning when I wasn't able to set up shop with my projectiles and noticed some different ways my opponent was able to get through my projectiles and punish me once he got up close.

Yes, some of the characters can seem broken right now, but there are more productive ways to learn matchups than just continually throwing yourself at a matchup and coming out frustrated.

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
I always tell people to watch YouTube vids on characters they have trouble with. You may find some character weaknesses that high level players uncover for you. Commentators are also usually great for this as they'll compare and analyze themselves. It's a great way analyze moves and MUs between characters.

Top Bottom