• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

For Those Seeking Perfection - Pivot F-Tilt

Bradley Williams

Smash Rookie
All right guys!

The time is here for us to nail this technique.
It is arguably the hardest technique in our arsenal. But hard work will pay off, and this is worth putting in the hard work for.
I want us to have a place that we can report on our levels of consistency with Pivot F-Tilt and other Pivot technology.
Motivate each other to get better and help us all improve.
I've seen a few posts that say things like "Someone needs to work this out", "One of us has to find a way to do this"
and other such things.
Unfortunately there isn't any trick to Pivot F-Tilt. No shortcut or secrets. It's just hard. But it is doable.

For those of you just tuning in. What I am talking about is the ability to cancel all momentum out of a Wavedash with a Pivot.
This allows for Pivot Downsmash, Upsmash and the unicorn-like-status of Pivot F-Tilt.
Pivot F-Tilt has the potential to be Luigi's greatest spacing tool.

So How is it done?

There are several parts to the process and each one being a very precise input with a chance of it all going horribly wrong.
I will try and outline each stage and discuss the trouble shooting for each.

The Pivot
Before you practice this out of wavedash it is important to be able to do a standing pivot so you understand the motion.
The scenario I will use will have Luigi facing right in a neutral stance.

Dash Left (This needs to be a quick motion to avoid just turning around and walking)
Move the control stick to the right (Not as quick as the dash left, but fast enough so you get the turn around)
Input A while holding right (This has to be done very quickly as your moving the control stick right)

Some troubleshooting
Dash Attacks Left : You are inputting A Button too early or not moving the control stick far enough right.
Dash Attack Right : You are Inputting A Button too late and Luigi has already left the turn animation and gone into Dash.
Fsmash Right : You are moving the control stick too fast to the right and are getting the Smash Input.
Jab facing Right : You are releasing the control stick too early after turning right and causing an empty pivot.

These are the common problems I face. If someone has other issues please post and we can try to figure out why
they are occurring.

Once you can get the Pivoting consistent It is time to start incorporating them into your Wavedash.
Once again Luigi will be facing right in a neutral stance for this example.

The Wavedash

It is important to re-iterate that there are going to be 14 frames of jumpsquat/special fall where you will be unable to act.
Inputting the Dash Left during the special fall will often cause Luigi to just turn around and won't cancel your momentum.
To give you an idea of how far this is. During a perfect wavedash it is about half the pokeball in the centre of stadium.
After that you can input a command and have Luigi Dash to stop his momentum.

When you Dash left you need to hold the input for atleast 2 frames.
If you release after a single frame Luigi just enters the turn animation and will never enter his Dash.
This is the biggest problem I face when practicing this technique. As you try and do the motion quickly, and just end up
sliding into your target with a f-tilt.

I would suggest practicing Dashing left after a wavedash just to get used to how long you need to hold the input for.

Putting it all Together

Once you've got the idea of the Wavedash, You can start going for the whole thing.
I am starting to get some level of consistency in practice, but my big issue is that I don't do the same input after the
wavedash as I do when empty pivoting. This causes me to dash attack a lot. I am working on convincing my brain
to just do the input we practiced when standing pivoting.

When we all finally achieve this goal (Which I have plenty of faith we will) We can start practicing different lengths to
optimize spacing against our foes.

I would love to hear from everyone how far they have come a long with this technique. And keep us all updated as you get better. When you start using them on streams, send us the vods. It'd cool to see how everyone is using them in their gameplay.

Thomdore

Smash Cadet
I've been working on this technique for quite some while now, and got it like 70-80% consistent towards one direction when I don't have too think about spaceing. When I do it towards left the consistency is much worse, such a wierd way too move your thumb at high speed and accuracy. When I play against a comp lvl 1 the consistency goes down, cause I actually have too think about my spaceing...and probably overthink what action I'm going too do with my thumb too execute this right.

I've never pulled it out in a match yet, cause I think a technique should atleast have a 90% consistency before applying too a match, and let it increase by itself from just doing it regularly...but this is somewhat different I feel. Cause I have too overcome the overthinking too actually get it consistent.

Do you got some tips for doing the pivot easier? Also tips for getting the tilt easier? I've heard someone talk about pressing grab after A, just incase you mess up your pivot/spaceing...so you doesnt **** up even more by running towards them or dashattack (which is worse imo).

I'm useing the 20GX method by the way.

Bradley Williams

Smash Rookie
I cant offer much in the way of tips. It is difficult. It is easier to get a down angled tilt. But unfortunately luigi doesnt benefit from that. I find it useful to practice tilts with characters that have a long dash. This allows you to not have to worry about the dash timing as much and just focus on the tilt

F-ric

Smash Cadet
I have a pretty good suggestion for those that can't get it that consistently, if you press z immediately after a when you attempt the pivot ftilt you'll do a boost grab (you'll hear a voice clip if you do this) instead of a dash attack.

I made a guide about pivots and alternatives to pivots in certain situations here http://smashboards.com/threads/momentum-cancelling.424527/

It's not a ton of stuff and it doesn't specifically relate to ftilt much but there are a lot of potential uses for every pivot option.

I definitely find pivot ftilt somewhat harder than c stick pivots but it's all a matter of timing and stick position so it's definitely doable with enough practice. I've been practicing pivots for about a year off and on and I've been able to use pivot smashes to a lot of success in matches and I'm near 75% on pivot ftilts when I have the timing down. You have to stay really focused when you play in neutral to use them effectively but I think this will push the meta game significantly.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Alternatively you can dash away, wavedash in place, then f-tilt backwards. Or you can wavedash in a direction -> wavedash in place to stop your momentum -> f-tilt. But if you need to save frames, pivot is much faster obviously.

Top Bottom